Last Question - I Swear!!

Decorating By janebrophy Updated 3 May 2008 , 11:14am by janebrophy

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 2 May 2008 , 3:59pm
post #1 of 17

I have to set up a cake this afternoon, and the bride has left fresh flowers to go on top of the cake. Top tier is too small for any sort of floral foam, and she just wants the flowers set on top. So, can I do this at 3:30, if the party is at 5:00, or will they be wilted by then???

16 replies
marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 2 May 2008 , 4:02pm
post #2 of 17

What kind are they?

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 2 May 2008 , 4:03pm
post #3 of 17

I would think they would last that long. I would put parchment or something on top of the cake so the moisture from the flowers doesn't get on the cake.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 2 May 2008 , 4:04pm
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by janebrophy

I have to set up a cake this afternoon, and the bride has left fresh flowers to go on top of the cake. Top tier is too small for any sort of floral foam, and she just wants the flowers set on top. So, can I do this at 3:30, if the party is at 5:00, or will they be wilted by then???

Use flower spikes for this. Also, make sure the flowers are not poisonous and take any necessary precautions if they are.

janebrophy Posted 2 May 2008 , 4:05pm
post #5 of 17

Thanks! I believe she is using tiger lillies, here is the pic of what she gave me:
LL

janebrophy Posted 2 May 2008 , 4:20pm
post #7 of 17

Awesome! I have those! I guess I put 1 stem into each?

jeking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeking Posted 2 May 2008 , 4:21pm
post #8 of 17

If it's a 6 inch top you should have plenty of room. I agree with using flower spikes if you have them or can get them quickly, but if the flowers are safe, you should be able to wash the stems well and poke them in the cake for stability. You might want to wrap the stems in white or green floral tape first. This will prevent the stem from coming in direct contact with the cake.

Cake_Princess Posted 2 May 2008 , 4:33pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by janebrophy

Awesome! I have those! I guess I put 1 stem into each?

Depending on the thickness of the stems that you have you can cluster a few stems in the spikes. Just make sure the arrangement is pleasing to the eye and you are good to go.

janebrophy Posted 2 May 2008 , 6:39pm
post #10 of 17

Thanks Everyone! Much appreciated!

CakesByBabycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByBabycakes Posted 2 May 2008 , 7:34pm
post #11 of 17

Watch out for the stamens - I went to a wedding once where the girls all carried tiger lilly's and the color came off the stamens, it was on their dresses, hair and their noses from smelling the flowers!!!

Toniprev Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toniprev Posted 2 May 2008 , 7:47pm
post #12 of 17

Yes, I was going to mention the stamens too... most florists cut them off for weddings.. but make sure if they havn't... that you do.. because that pollen can drop on the cake too, and spoil the white of the fondant!!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 May 2008 , 10:57pm
post #13 of 17

<...if the flowers are safe, you should be able to wash the stems well and poke them in the cake for stability...>

Flowers should *never* be poked into a cake!icon_sad.gif
I know by now you have already finished w/this set up for for any future knowledge what one can do is dampen a paper towel (or 1/2 of one OR use cotton) and wrap it around the stem, covering it w/plastic wrap. It will keep the flower 'watered/fresh' and keep any sap in the stem from getting on the cake.
No part of the flower should ever touch the cake.
Put wax or parchment paper down for the flower to rest on.

janebrophy Posted 2 May 2008 , 11:27pm
post #14 of 17

Ok, so here it is, and Thank-you to all who helped me with this! It wasn't as big a deal as I expected, just because of the flowers that had been chosen. I ended up wrapping the stems with floral tape, and placing them on a piece of wax paper.
So glad that is over with!!
LL

pjmw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjmw Posted 3 May 2008 , 12:42am
post #15 of 17

beautiful job! We learn something with every projecticon_smile.gif

Cake_Princess Posted 3 May 2008 , 5:17am
post #16 of 17

Good job and congrats on your finished product.

Where in ON are you?

janebrophy Posted 3 May 2008 , 11:14am
post #17 of 17

Thanks! I'm near Brockville.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%