Never Know Where That Next Booking Will Come From!

Business By indydebi Updated 13 May 2008 , 12:13am by DebBTX

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 12:20pm
post #1 of 19

I pulled up in the parking lot of my shop and saw a pick up truck with lots of bumper sticks .... Marine Mom ... My Daughter is a Marine .... my Son is a Marine ... Support our Troops, etc.

So I waited for her to come out of whatever store she was in. Walked over and introduced myself as a Marine Mom, too. We got to talking, I invited her into the shop, exchanged our Mom stories, gave her my card, told her I give 20% active military discount ..... and she ordered a baby shower cake on the spot for next weekend AND told me her daughter was getting married on the east coast but they are having a reception for her here in town in Feb, so she will definitely call me when they start setting that up!

You never know what chance opportunities will plop themselves right in front of you!

18 replies
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 12:24pm
post #2 of 19

Sweet! Nice work if you can get it, congrats!

pjmw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjmw Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 12:26pm
post #3 of 19

It's wonderful that you offer a discount like that. Moms gotta stick togethericon_smile.gif

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 12:28pm
post #4 of 19

You are so good at networking, great story icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 11 May 2008 , 2:36am
post #5 of 19

I can't believe it.... i have another story!

Came out of the grocery and it was pouring rain. Lady next to my van was loading groceries, so I stopped and held my umbrella over her while she loaded. (my good deed of the day!). She mentioned she was sick of rain. I told her (as I stood next to my lettered van! icon_biggrin.gif ) "I do wedding cakes and I have 3 brides this weekend who hopes it stops raining today!" She said, "Do you do graduation cakes?" I asked what day, she said June 1st, I said, "Sure do!" She asked for my card (as I was digging it out of my purse anyway!) and she said, "I'll be calling you!"

I would have missed the opportunity if I hadn't shared my umbrella that day!

Katied75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katied75 Posted 11 May 2008 , 2:40am
post #6 of 19

I'm all about karma! I'm so glad it is working for you (and btw, thanks for answering my questions earlier!)

Katie

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 11 May 2008 , 3:50am
post #7 of 19

Wow, indydebi, you go girl. icon_biggrin.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 11 May 2008 , 5:06am
post #8 of 19

you're on a roll!

(and just for you Indy-- SEMPER FI!--it's all about that EGA, catches anyone associated with the Marines eye)

pipercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipercakes Posted 12 May 2008 , 7:43pm
post #9 of 19

That is so wonderful to offer a military discount! As an Army Wife myself, I always appreciated when places gave us a bit of a break. I think I will put your idea into action with my cakes!

Thank you so much for sharing your story. party.gif

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 12 May 2008 , 7:56pm
post #10 of 19

good on you for stepping up to offer an ear and later an umbrella.... it is all about "paying it forward" and that is why your luck has been so great. You are a great marketer.... congratulations on the 2 "outside" orders icon_smile.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 12 May 2008 , 8:06pm
post #11 of 19

Like a good neighbor, Indydebi is there! lol icon_lol.gif Oops, don't want to get sued. I'll come up with something else.

Seriously, that's great that you offer the military discount! I love that idea. When I sold one of my cakes - one of the four, lol - it was for an Army soldier home from Iraq but being deployed again in a few months. I told this casual friend of mine when she came to me that I would not charge her what I normally would and to think of the discount as my Thank you to her boyfriend for what he's doing for me and our country. Not much, I know, but since I generally don't sell any cakes it was a chance for me to make some money finally, but I couldn't do it - just took enough to cover almost all my supplies.

I also think it's great of you to be a good samaritan and help out a stranger. Good things come to those who help others - karma.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 12 May 2008 , 8:08pm
post #12 of 19

Like a good neighbor, Indydebi is there! lol icon_lol.gif Oops, don't want to get sued. I'll come up with something else.

Seriously, that's great that you offer the military discount! I love that idea. When I sold one of my cakes - one of the four, lol - it was for an Army soldier home from Iraq but being deployed again in a few months. I told this casual friend of mine when she came to me that I would not charge her what I normally would and to think of the discount as my Thank you to her boyfriend for what he's doing for me and our country. Not much, I know, but since I generally don't sell any cakes it was a chance for me to make some money finally, but I couldn't do it - just took enough to cover almost all my supplies.

I also think it's great of you to be a good samaritan and help out a stranger. Good things come to those who help others - karma.

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 12 May 2008 , 9:12pm
post #13 of 19

i la la la love when happy stuff like that happens!!! sometimes it always just happens so effortlessly!! congratulations on your orders!!!!

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 12 May 2008 , 9:33pm
post #14 of 19

It is great when things like this happen. I also want to thank-you for giving the Marine mom a military discount. My husband is no longer active duty Air Force, but I still love military families, and miss them so much. The military community is where my best friends came from, where my kids were raised, and where I feel a special connection.

sweetiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiemama Posted 12 May 2008 , 9:33pm
post #15 of 19

Loooove those karma moments! Feels so good when life just confirms your good deeds! thumbs_up.gif

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 12 May 2008 , 9:50pm
post #16 of 19

That shows what a sweet you are, Debi....and gives me encouragement to reach out more as well! icon_biggrin.gif

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 12 May 2008 , 10:27pm
post #17 of 19

Debi,

This just goes to show that good things happen to good people.

indydebi Posted 12 May 2008 , 10:36pm
post #18 of 19

Once a year, I pick a couple and do their event for free. The first one was a young man who was being deployed in the next 2 weeks. Mom was ready to write the check when we told her there was no charge for the buffet .... told her to give the money to the kids, they probably need it for a nice honeymoon before he leaves. (I'll get it back ... they have 3 other daughters! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif )

The 2nd one was a bride and groom who were both military .... he had been to Iraq and was heading back for the 2nd time. It was just the wedding cake, but when they came by to pay the grand total, we told them it was our gift to them.

It's the best feel-good feeling in the world! It's a very unadvertised thing we do .... and we pick the couple at random; just whoever we feel really needs and deserves it.

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 13 May 2008 , 12:13am
post #19 of 19

Debi,
You have a great heart for people! Each one of those families will remember your kindness throughout their lives.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%