Square Box Cake Lid????

Decorating By bcake1960 Updated 23 Apr 2008 , 1:42pm by wgoat5

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 3:42pm
post #1 of 27

Ok I have to make a Tiffany Box wrapped cake.. any suggestions or hints on how to make the square lids.. someone told me to flip the square size pan you are using over and use plactic wrap and cover with gumpaste trim edges and let dry..1 week.. lift off and place on cake?? What do you all think about that way?? Also.. I would like the sides to look like they were wrapped in paper. how do you get the envelope look??
Thanks...
LL

26 replies
weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 3:50pm
post #2 of 27

The easiest way to achieve it is cover the back of your baking pan with a tight fitting wrap like press & seal. Grease it lightly with shortening. Then roll out your gumpaste and drape it over. Mold it to the shape of the pan and smooth with a smoother. Then you can use a utility knife and a ruler and cut the ends off to make them crisp. Let it dry for a few days and then pull the plastic wrap off the pan allowing you to have a "handle". You might have to let the inside dry for another day. Then you can put it onto your cake after.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 4:58pm
post #3 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcake1960

Ok I have to make a Tiffany Box wrapped cake.. any suggestions or hints on how to make the square lids.. someone told me to flip the square size pan you are using over and use plactic wrap and cover with gumpaste trim edges and let dry..1 week.. lift off and place on cake?? What do you all think about that way?? Also.. I would like the sides to look like they were wrapped in paper. how do you get the envelope look??
Thanks...

For the lid you see here in my cake. I simply inverted the cake pan and dusted it with corn starch. Then I draped my gumpaste over it and used a sharp knife to remove the excess gumpaste. I then assembled the bow directly on the lid of the box and left it to dry.

The cake you are showing however, seems to have been assembled from 5 pieces of gumpaste. Using that method you will need to cut out a square for the top and 4 rectangles for the sides. Then assemble using royal glue and/ royal icing. This will give you much sharper corners and edges.
LL

bcake1960 Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 4:59pm
post #4 of 27

Thanks weirkd! I will give it a try... I love the idea about the press and seal plactic wrap! thanks again thumbs_up.gif

MegWinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MegWinn Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 5:27pm
post #5 of 27

I made a tiffany box and used cardboard as my template AND support. I created the size I wanted and then cut the fondant accordingly, let it dry, and then "glued" it on with royal icing. It worked really well and I was very happy with it.

weirkd Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 6:04pm
post #6 of 27

No problem bk! And if you want to offset the top you can buy a piece of stryofoam at the crafts store and stick it inside and the skewer it in place.
Good luck ! And cant wait to see the finished pictures!

bcake1960 Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 6:41pm
post #7 of 27

great tips... cake is not due until may 18th but am going to make a practice one just for good measure.. love the idea for proping the lid open too.. thumbs_up.gif that is ONE BEAUTIFUL CAKE ! Cake Princess... thanks for sharing...

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 6:55pm
post #8 of 27

When I do mine, I cut out a square 2 inches bigger than the cake and then cut out 1 inch corners and score the edges just a tiny bit, making sure not to cut through, then lay it over the pan and wet the corners to stick together. After it's set up a good bit, I flip it off the pan so that the underside dries well also. I find cutting the corners and scoring the edges gives you nice sharp lines.
LL

weirkd Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 9:14pm
post #9 of 27

Sarah, you werent in MD last night by any chance? There was a woman that looked like you that was in the wedding cake competition.

bcake1960 Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 6:21am
post #10 of 27

Beautiful cake Sara... Thanks for the additional tip.. I will definitely give it a try. Oh I have had such good ideas today I am sure it is going to be much easier... thanks icon_smile.gif

sarahnichole975 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 9:55pm
post #11 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirkd

Sarah, you werent in MD last night by any chance? There was a woman that looked like you that was in the wedding cake competition.

nope not me...I was in my kitchen wishing I could get the dang cakes done and get to sleep...lol

And thank you bcake, I can't wait to see how your's turns out.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 9:58pm
post #12 of 27

Ok.. come over here and do mine girlfriend!!

I have one of them bad boys due this weekend..

I covered my cake pan that was larger then the actual cake itself... I covered it like I would a cake except down to the lip of the pan....I then used my cutters and cut a pretty design out of the bottom.. and it made it the right height icon_smile.gif

sarahnichole975 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 10:06pm
post #13 of 27

OOOOOOO CHRISTI, I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 10:14pm
post #14 of 27

I think that is sugarshacks cake. I kind of think she said that each piece of the lid was cut separately and left to dry. cut to fit exactly and royal iced together. But I could be wrong!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 10:24pm
post #15 of 27

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=28494

This is a different sugarshack cake, but she explains how she did it in the comments section. HTH!

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 10:28pm
post #16 of 27

Sorry to butt in,but if the lids on bcake1960's Tiffany boxes were made out of gumpaste it would certainly be hard to cut the cakes.Wouldn't it ?Or I most probably didn't undertand.
It made sense to me if the lid doesn"t cover the box completely as in the other beautiful cakes shown under the Tiffany ones.
Please, enlighten me.

Omicake Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 10:47pm
post #17 of 27

Second thought: you take the lid off before cutting the cake. Is that it?

wgoat5 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 10:52pm
post #18 of 27

Yes ma'am icon_smile.gif

If it is GP.. I am using full fondant but just let it dry a little longer icon_biggrin.gif

Omicake Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 11:10pm
post #19 of 27

Thank you very much ,Christi.I needed your reassuring answer.

nicksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicksmom Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 2:48am
post #20 of 27

weirkd how do you manage this without breaking the lid as you peel it off the pan? Do I put the press and seal over the pan then grease then lay over the fondant??OR do you use gumpaste?Is the pan upside down or is it done in the pan?sorry for such stupid questions but I have to make lids for the first time and want to get it right icon_confused.gif TIA

wgoat5 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 3:09am
post #21 of 27

I'm not weirkd but the way I did mine was to wrap the pan in pns (press n seal) got it real flat to the pan (don't need to grease) .. let it dry for a few days.. take off flip upside down and let "lid" dry like that a day or 2 icon_smile.gif

I used straight fondant but you could use 50/50 fondant/ gumpaste or straight GP .. all to what you prefer icon_smile.gif

bcake1960 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 1:06pm
post #22 of 27

Thanks merissa!! Omg that is such a nice cake.. All have been.. now which way to go...?? panels or formed.. ahhhgh... maybe try both..

bcake1960 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 1:10pm
post #23 of 27

wgoat.. How about breakage..?? are they really fragile?? shoud I make more than one?

bcake1960 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 1:12pm
post #24 of 27

Thank you all soo much for all the great advice!! keep it comming... the more the better!!! I so cant wait to give it a try.. I just have to get my 2 cakes out of the way this weekend and I can play.

wgoat5 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 1:31pm
post #25 of 27

you shouldn't need to make a seperate one.. just let it dry for about a week icon_smile.gif ... I am assembling mine for this weekend (will upload on Friday) ...

Because it will be so hard though I am going to put a little piece of wax paper on top of the cake.. cake will be dusted with just a tad bit of ps before I add it though.. so when they are ready to cut they can just lift the lid icon_smile.gif

Hope all goes well with yours bcake!!! icon_smile.gif

Can't wait to see it!!

bcake1960 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 1:38pm
post #26 of 27

Oh good your doing one please let me know when you post it so I can see it.. I am emersing myself in square box cakes../ info. This cake is important (like all are) because it is my Daughters Bridal Shower cake.. so the pressure is on!

wgoat5 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 1:42pm
post #27 of 27

Ohh congrats on the DD's wedding icon_smile.gif

I am sure you are happy... and she will be since her mamma will be doing the cake!!

I love that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%