Cc Throwdown #2 Has Now Began!!

Decorating By Teekakes Updated 12 May 2008 , 5:27pm by tonedna

AmyGonzalez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyGonzalez Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 3:09am
post #301 of 496

When does the voting start, and is it going to be on this tread?

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 2:27pm
post #302 of 496

CakesByLJ,, Thanks , theres nothing better then the ole granny memories ! I would love to know how to make the fried apple pies, they sound delicious, If I ate them as a kid I dont remember them , But that could of been when I was going through my picky stage ( I dont like this and that food ) LOL! Anyone care to share a recipe ???

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 3:32pm
post #303 of 496

fiddlesticks, I never made fried pies, but perhaps Sharon or Lea could assist here.... icon_wink.gif They are still very popular though. I met a mother/daughter who have a fried pie business. They travel the circuit and sell them in a consession.. fresh homemade fried pies~! and they are looking to grow and expand because business is so good... I tasted them, and they are good, but of course, the recipe is a secret icon_sad.gif The mom even makes her own filling for them... amazing, huh.. icon_smile.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 4:58pm
post #304 of 496

Take your favorite apple pie filling (I make my own icon_smile.gif ) .. use your biscuit recipe.. add a little more crisco then normal to it... and fry in a bit of fat icon_smile.gif YUMMY... Ohhh yes after they come out .. sprinkle them hot with sugar icon_smile.gif YUMMMY

Ok I'll go in sugar coma now LOL

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 7:22pm
post #305 of 496

This is how I do mine, but I seen them done other ways over many of years.

Same as what Christi said....mix up your favorite apple filling mixture (this is what I do) or you can use canned pie filling, (I like to kind of chop my apples up some, like a dice but a little bigger)....I will add to mine, like cinnamon, tiny bit of apple spice, and a little nutmeg, and sugar (sweeten to your taste). I will also add about 1/2 cup or so of "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" and sometimes I will cook my apple mixture up a little on the stove top. Some people will cook them up to almost a apple butter texture, but I like mine to where I can still bite the apple.

I make my biscuit dough (learn from my grandmother), I will add a little bit of cinnamon and a touch of nutmeg to my biscuit dough (but not much)..... (some people will use canned biscuits if they are in a hurry or don't feel like mixing up the dough mixture ). Take the biscuit or some dough and roll it out to make a circle (I am guessing about the size of a saucer, maybe a little smaller (for bigger ones, or take a big biscuit cutter for a smaller size one). Once it is rolled out put some of the apple mixture on the rolled out dough, BUT do it to where you can fold it over like a turnover. Take a fork and press edges together, it will look like a what I call a half moon shape, well you can also say a omelet shape.

Now at this point you fry them in a little bit of oil (I use oil)....I would say maybe enough to almost cover bottom of fry pan (can add more if needed).....fry them till the dough is done. Them sprinkle them with the sugar as Christi said, you can even make a mixture of cinnamon sugar to sprinkle on them....do that right as you take them out while hot like Christi said.

You can also bake them like baking a biscuit and them make a mixture of PS and milk, to drizzle over them. Also you can take some melted butter brush over the tops (when about half baked) then sprinkle sugar over that and finish baking, this will give them a little sugar crusting.

It might sound hard, but it is really isn't and with this you can play around with trying other things mix in with the apples.

O.K. now Christi would you please be willing to share your fried peach pie recipe. I have not try those yet. PLEASEEEEEEE, PLEASEEEEEEEEE!!!! with sugar on top. icon_biggrin.gif Oh by the way LOVE the new avatar.....you wildcat! icon_lol.gif Your right I never seen my grandmothers or my mother measure anything. So I really had to watch close, when they were showing me things.

Lea....could I please have my bottle back now, I think you been nipping enough now.

God Bless,
Sharon

wgoat5 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 7:32pm
post #306 of 496

Well you almost do the same thing Sharon icon_smile.gif

You put your fresh (or frozen peaches in a pot... add just a tad bit of water.. your seasoning and what not (You guessed it I eyeball it and change things often LOL)... add a little cinnamon.. JUST a LITTLE wee bit... let it boil for a few minutes.. as you would do blackberries icon_smile.gif ... taste make sure it's sweet and thicken with a little corn starch and water... then do the same thing as you do with the apple pies icon_smile.gif

I use crisco to fry in.. in my OLD cast iron Kentucky style skillet icon_smile.gif (I think my mom said it was her great grandmas.. Perfectly seasoned icon_smile.gif

LOL did you see that beached whale in my avatar??? LOL Did it make you smile? Ifin it did then it worked... a smile a day makes my gray go away!!! icon_biggrin.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 7:43pm
post #307 of 496

Thanks everyone ! So you dont have to really deep fry it then right ??? (like in reg deep frying) ? wgoat5.. I dont see any gray !!

wgoat5 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 7:53pm
post #308 of 496

Fiddle icon_smile.gif .. oh girl I have grey LOL
But I try to smile and make it al go away..

and NO you don't deep fry it.. just fry in about a 1/2 inch of oil icon_smile.gif make sure it (the oil) is fairly hot.. you want it to sizzle when you lay the pies in... icon_smile.gif BUt not tooo hot or the middle won't get hot and your biscuit will get burnt icon_sad.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 7:57pm
post #309 of 496

Thanks Christi .. Then I think you must smile a lot !

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 8:06pm
post #310 of 496

You ladies are the greatest!! My husband has been looking for this recipe for the longest!! And back on subject: Hopefully, I'll get to vote this tiome around!! Good Luck, Ladies

wgoat5 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 8:12pm
post #311 of 496

Oh I forgot.. dont forget butter!!! Dot everything with butter before closing the pastry (or biscuits LOL)

icon_smile.gif Awww fiddle thank ya icon_lol.gif but it was just REALLY sunny and bright (hence the squint and the DRINK that someone made me drink on the beach LOL)

Thanks for the luck and you are very welcome icon_smile.gif doitallmom icon_smile.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 8:17pm
post #312 of 496

Dont forget butter ! Got it ! thumbs_up.gif

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 8:58pm
post #313 of 496

Ladies this thread has gotten way off topic...but oh so fun icon_lol.gif I just took a cherry pie out of the oven about 10 minutes ago then I came across this topic and decided to take a pic and maybe get you girls motivated to drop the pastry bags and roll out a little pie dough!! Happy Baking

[/img]
LL

CakesByLJ Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 9:13pm
post #314 of 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorijom

Ladies this thread has gotten way off topic...but oh so fun icon_lol.gif I just took a cherry pie out of the oven about 10 minutes ago then I came across this topic and decided to take a pic and maybe get you girls motivated to drop the pastry bags and roll out a little pie dough!! Happy Baking

[/img]

Yummy looking pie you baked there.. what time do we eat? icon_wink.gif Yes Christy, I can pick you up on my way.. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

lorijom Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 9:19pm
post #315 of 496

Come on over girls the more the merrier icon_smile.gif I'll put on a pot of coffee, or pull out something a little stronger for some of you (you know who you are icon_lol.gif ). Course it may hit 100 degrees today so we may have to make it iced coffee and take a dip in the pool to cool off!!

wgoat5 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 9:34pm
post #316 of 496

LMAO You aren't talkin about me are you Lori? LMAO

Ok.. well I'll come IF.. you make a apple pie... cherry's not for me lol.. I love marshino cherries but not the real thing LOL (YOu know the kind not dyed in syrup LOL)

Oh what the hey.. I'll come anyways and drink some coffee icon_smile.gif

lorijom Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 10:26pm
post #317 of 496

Now Christi you know I'm not naming names...but if the shoe fits......

LMAO so come on over and you never know what I may add to that cup of "coffee" icon_smile.gif

wgoat5 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 11:06pm
post #318 of 496

LOL!!!

grannys3angels Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 3:23am
post #319 of 496

Christi, I am going to get Edna 2 foot piping bag, and pipe you up one side and then down the other, with crusting BC. You do not look like beached whale! Thanks for the info on making the peach fried pies thumbs_up.gif

Lori, your pie looks great and so yummyyyyyy thumbs_up.gif O.K. every coffee and pie at Lori's, or coffee that might have a little kick to it icon_lol.gif & pie.

God Bless,
Sharon

wgoat5 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 11:02am
post #320 of 496

Good Morning throwdowners icon_biggrin.gif

It won't be long till everything starts.. so get your engines dusted off icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

CakesByLJ Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 12:40pm
post #321 of 496

Yahoo.... the action starts this week.. Good Mornin to you, Christi icon_smile.gif

wgoat5 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 12:47pm
post #322 of 496

I will be up to my nose in cakes this week.. but I will stop by as often as I can so I can get my fill of smack talk icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Oh where oh where did our Edna go.. Oh where oh where could she be...

Hmmph... I think we have TDers falling off the face of the earth... Dolitte, Edna... Where did everbody go? Back to lurking I suppose icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

Oh well.. I tried to get them to conform to our ways laura.. to no avail icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

CakesByLJ Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 12:57pm
post #323 of 496

Where are they, indeed~~ My worthy opponent must be busy with cakes.. understandably icon_wink.gif

dolittle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolittle Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 1:25pm
post #324 of 496

I'm up to my neck in cake ! I have had nothing but problems. icon_sad.gif . I've got to go back to work now. icon_smile.gif

grannys3angels Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 3:12pm
post #325 of 496

O.K. Ladies...sad to say I will be gone for a while icon_sad.gif I will be leaving sometime this afternoon.

My son needs my help in a very bad way. As some of you may know, his wife left (to live the party life icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif ), he is trying to work and take care of a 3yr. old & a 18 month old.

She was to come and stay with the kids during the day so he could work....but last week, she show up very late and he couldn't get to work. The next day the same thing, again today he missed.

He has been wrote up at work because of this, and today they told him one more time and he will lose his job. So I am going to Ohio to help him out for a while and see if we can find a babysitter or a daycare that he can afford. So I will not be on CC for a while (he does not have internet).

I ask that you all pray for my son & my grandbabies, Please!. Some of you also know I have been down some very very bumping roads this passed year.....so could you all say a little prayer for me to stay strong and hang in there thumbs_up.gif

I did not mean to get so personal, I just wanted to let you all know what was going on, why you wouldn't see me around for a while, maybe even to vent a little bit. Wish us a safe trip, Christi, I think but not sure I may be going close to or close by your neck of the woods. We will be going through Lexington, Florence & Covington KY. pass Cinny to Mason, Ohio. I know I will close to CC member "Combo".

Well guess I have went on long enough....you all will be missed so much by me, I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. Don't forget me thumbs_up.gif I am so mad, hurt, (shocked & puzzled, that this has has happen) heart broken and worry sick for my son & grandbabies.

Now Ladies, get in those kitchens and start those TD cakes!!!!! icon_smile.gif

God Bless & Hugs to you all!
Sharon

So sorry if it was wrong for me to post it here, and if so please forgive me...but I knew most of friends are in this thread.

wgoat5 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 3:21pm
post #326 of 496

Ohhh Sharon I am sooo sorry icon_sad.gif We know you are needed by your son and grandbabies.

Of course you will be in my prayers.. take my phone #'s and call anytime!!!!

((((((hugs)))))))) to you my dear friend and becareful!!!

You will be missed!!!!!

CakesByLJ Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 3:22pm
post #327 of 496

Sharon, you have a safe trip, and take care of ds and grandbabies.. I will be thinking, and praying for you all... <hugs>

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 3:40pm
post #328 of 496

Oh you will be missed Sharon... Is never personal when we can pray for you...You will be on our thoughts!...
Edna

CakesByLJ Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 3:42pm
post #329 of 496

Edna.... there you are......... we been worried bout ya... icon_smile.gif

wgoat5 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 3:44pm
post #330 of 496

She's been hiding.. I thought maybe Lauras giant pie might be to blame!! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%