Putting Cake On Platter Board

Decorating By 2txmedics Updated 28 Mar 2008 , 1:19pm by confectioneista

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 4:33pm
post #1 of 7

Ok, here it goes: I make cakes and decorate them on board, once there done Im forced to leave them on that board.

Ive noticed that others have them on those pretty silver/gold decorated boards....how do I do that? do I initally put my cake on that board? if so, how do I keep it from getting messy??? DUMB QUESTION...Im sure just like I already do. lol icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 4:42pm
post #2 of 7

Yes, you initially put your cake on that board. You just use a paper towel or dishcloth to wipe off the excess icing from a gold or silver foil covered cake board.

You can use regular cardboard cake circles, but cover them FIRST with (ideally) Reynold's Freezer Paper (available at Wal-Mart, grocery stores, etc) or foil. You can also buy Wilton Show n' Serve wax-covered cardboard cake circles.

confectioneista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectioneista Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 5:03pm
post #3 of 7

You can also cover your boards in foil that is meant specifically for cakes - they come in all colors or you can cover your boards in fondant or RI. Just make sure to let the boards dry for 24 hours so they harden before putting your cake on them.

Ideally, a fondant covered cake should be placed a fondant covered board. And if you cover your board in RI, just thin out the RI so it "flows" - you may have to do a couple of coatings.

Then put a pretty, complimenting ribbon around the edge of the board and secure with a pearl-head straight pin at the ends. (Hope that makes sense).

icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 1:23pm
post #4 of 7

what I like to do ( since all my cakes have had borders on the bottom of them) is put the cake on it's own sized board (8" cake on a 8" board) there is usually about a 1/4 " room around the cake which I fill in with frosting all around the cake until the frosting comes out to the edge of the board...then when the cake is done I take my "decorated cake board" and put a puddle of hot glue in the center and plop my cake (on it's own little board) directly on the bigger board the weight of the cake is usually enough to smoosh the glue down making everything flat, the botoom border always covers up the little 1/8" thickness of the cake circle the cake is on......and also this way.....doesn't really matter what you cover your board with (contact paper, etc.) because the cake really doesn't ever touch it

confectioneista Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 1:47pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

what I like to do ( since all my cakes have had borders on the bottom of them) is put the cake on it's own sized board (8" cake on a 8" board) there is usually about a 1/4 " room around the cake which I fill in with frosting all around the cake until the frosting comes out to the edge of the board...then when the cake is done I take my "decorated cake board" and put a puddle of hot glue in the center and plop my cake (on it's own little board) directly on the bigger board the weight of the cake is usually enough to smoosh the glue down making everything flat, the botoom border always covers up the little 1/8" thickness of the cake circle the cake is on......and also this way.....doesn't really matter what you cover your board with (contact paper, etc.) because the cake really doesn't ever touch it

I really like your idea - makes sense to do that and give yourself more creativity, so to speak.

But I meant to ask you, how do you get your decorated cake on the "decorated" board without ruining the decorations on your cake? I always have trouble getting my hands out of the way when I put my cake on the board and end up messing up my frosting, etc. What's your secret? icon_smile.gif TIA!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 12:51pm
post #6 of 7

thin spatulas.......slide em' under the cake on both sides pick up the cake...set it down..use them to scoot it around until it's center and then slide them out! When I am stacking cakes I can't scoot them so I take a measurement of the outside edge of my cake and dep. on the size difference of the tiers (let's say a 6" going on top of an 8") I would measure one inch in from each edge and put a mark with a toothpick then I work my way around the cake every inch or two and I have a nice mark to give me an idea of where to place the cake...then I just line up the front of my cake with these marks and the back is one inch in just like the front and the sides...works beautifully! If for some reason (like frosting thicker on one side of cake)the marks show a little I can usually go back with a viva and smooth over it or it will be hidden with a border!

confectioneista Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 1:19pm
post #7 of 7

Ah, aren't you the sly one?! That makes perfect sense and yet I, obviously, didn't think of it...but I am certainly going to do it next time! Just too cool! Thank you so much for sharing with me icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%