People Will Never Fail To Amaze Me!

Decorating By Babarooskie Updated 15 Sep 2007 , 1:03am by lionladydi

Babarooskie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babarooskie Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 2:13pm
post #1 of 40

UUUGGHHH!

Why are people sooo.... "difficult"???

Let me start this LONG saga:

When I first started making cakes and charging - I received an order from a girl who's sister I went to school with. She wanted a 3 tier (all in black) icon_confused.gif Me, being naive, I said I would price her $50 (remember, I'm just starting)... she said OK. I went out all of my way to deliver it to a night club for her birthday. I was waiting for AN HOUR and was calling her non-stop. I found the manager of the night club and asked him if she had arrived- WHY YES SHE ARRIVED 10 MIN. AGO. Fabulous! icon_mad.gif Anyway, I deliver the cake...another fabulous moment- she said she forgot her check book. I was so pissed off that I left. The cake came out OK, I waited for an hour, I paid for valet, didn't get my money for the cake... Can you guess how ticked off I was?! I know I should've stayed and demanded the money or take the cake back but I just decided to leave before things would get ugly. She paid me the next day.

Fast forward to today. She wants another cake (yikes!)
2 tier, yellow BC, and some travel decor incorporated in it (eiffel tower she said- what the heck, do I look like Picasso?) I told her I can do the yellow BC, 2 tier, with the saying she wanted and put some nice fondant roses with pearl dust on them. Priced her $60 - cake is for 25 people.

She wrote back saying $60 was out of her budget because her b-day cake was $50 with delivery (By the way, I delivered for free). What amazes me even more... is that #1 she owns her own Media company, #2 she told me that she was going to split the costs between her and her sister ($30 each!) I don't get it. Did I do something wrong???

39 replies
tnuty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tnuty Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 2:21pm
post #2 of 40

No sounds like another case of getting taken advantage of by friends/family... It never ceases to amaze me they all think the ingredients and time to create a cake dont cost a thing...Unless you gave it to her for free she would probably complain..Try explaining to her that your first cake was at a discount for her birthday. and this one will require more work with the fondant work that is why its going to cost more. If she goes elsewhere than count your blessings...you dont need to be doing cakes for free.

DEBBIE157 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DEBBIE157 Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 2:22pm
post #3 of 40

It's NOT you. It's her. People will always try to pay as little as possible. As you mentioned, she can afford it. Stand your ground. You deserve to be treated MUCH better than she is treating you!

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 2:23pm
post #4 of 40

The only thing you did wrong was underpricing yourself on the first cake.

NEVER do that again. icon_wink.gif

Babarooskie Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 2:27pm
post #5 of 40

Thank you guys!

I'm going to e-mail her back and explain to her that the price for the cake remains...
I don't understand why people think that we have nothing else to do with our time.

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 2:28pm
post #6 of 40

So tell her, I did the 1st one as a favor and priced it accordingly.
Now this one is different and this is the price. If you do not wish to order it O.K.
Thanks for your business bye-bye! icon_biggrin.gif

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 2:33pm
post #7 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandisBaked

The only thing you did wrong was underpricing yourself on the first cake.

NEVER do that again. icon_wink.gif

My thoughts exactly. I'm sure her services at her media company don't come free or at cost.............people just don't get it.

Diane

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 2:35pm
post #8 of 40

Her loss- I agree with 2sdae- you should say the first one was underpriced and this is a more realistic price for your time. She's a customer you're better off without.

Babarooskie Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 2:40pm
post #9 of 40

This is the e-mail I received from her:

Hi natalie! Thank u for responding. Everything sounds delicious.
Unfortunately 60 is a bit out of my budget since for my birthday cake
which was larger we paid 50 for total and was delivered. I'm thinking
maybe we should just scratch the idea and go with something a bit
easier. How about we do the same idea, 2 tier, that says cestlavie with
white polkia dots? Bottome vanilla, top chocolate? Also, please have it
say happy birthday tita on the top. Let me know if this works. the
party is saturday by 6pm in the gables. Let me know the new estimate
and I will write u a check immediately. Thank u again for ur help.
Ciao!

This is what I replied:

Hi Jen:

The $50 for your cake was a very reasonable price for a 3 tier. However, I didn't charge you for delivery. Also, I had to pay for Valet that cost me $20. I charge $1.50 per slice (Butter Cream) which totals out to $37.50 for 25 people. Then I incorporate the cost of materials and time and labor. I would love to do the cake for your Aunt, but $60 is the price for the cake with fondant flowers or polka dots (as you requested in your last e-mail). If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thanks!

2sdae Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 2:44pm
post #10 of 40

very well stated, professional, friendly and clear cut.
PERFECT! thumbs_up.gif

Shyanne_Mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shyanne_Mommy Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 2:48pm
post #11 of 40

I think your reply letter was very nice and correct...hopefully she will see that you did the first as a favor..... If she refused it then let her go somewhere else and see how much they are going to charge her....

Good Luck.

Babarooskie Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 2:49pm
post #12 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sdae

very well stated, professional, friendly and clear cut.
PERFECT! thumbs_up.gif

Thank you!
I'm just tired of people thinking we just mix the batter pop in the oven and the cake comes out frosted and ready to go.
Anyway, better for me- I'll be able to go out with friends and have a couple of drinks lol

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 2:50pm
post #13 of 40

Interesting!

I think that she probably thinks you're crazy only because you gave her a bigger cake (the 1st one) for so low and she's wondering why you're charging her more now for a smaller one!

Well...good luck to you...I'll be waiting to hear what she responds with! lol

icon_biggrin.gif

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 2:52pm
post #14 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babarooskie

Ciao!

This is what I replied:

Hi Jen:

The $50 for your cake was a very reasonable price for a 3 tier. However, I didn't charge you for delivery. Also, I had to pay for Valet that cost me $20. I charge $1.50 per slice (Butter Cream) which totals out to $37.50 for 25 people. Then I incorporate the cost of materials and time and labor. I would love to do the cake for your Aunt, but $60 is the price for the cake with fondant flowers or polka dots (as you requested in your last e-mail). If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thanks!

thumbs_up.gif Good for YOu! Stick to your guns; if she doesn't want to order, I'd say it's a blessing. Also, in the future, I would charge a delivery fee (also a higher fee if it's beyond a certain distance away). I myself do not deliver. Most bakeries in my area and certainly the grocery/super stores do not deliver. If they want my cake, they come for it (I've never had a problem w/ the no delivery aspect).

Babarooskie Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 2:54pm
post #15 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynda-bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babarooskie

Ciao!

This is what I replied:

Hi Jen:

Thanks!

thumbs_up.gif Good for YOu! Stick to your guns; if she doesn't want to order, I'd say it's a blessing. Also, in the future, I would charge a delivery fee (also a higher fee if it's beyond a certain distance away). I myself do not deliver. Most bakeries in my area and certainly the grocery/super stores do not deliver. If they want my cake, they come for it (I've never had a problem w/ the no delivery aspect).

Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

SHE's the one who left the sour taste in my mouth for delivery. I rarely deliver now... and if I do, the starting prices for delivery is $20.

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 3:08pm
post #16 of 40

thumbs_up.gif That's the way to do it, Bararooskie! party.gif

Be sure and let us know what/if she responds to your email... ok ok now I'm just being nosy hehehe icon_razz.gif

Babarooskie Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 3:11pm
post #17 of 40

LOL

I definitely will!

2sdae Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 3:29pm
post #18 of 40

OOOOH, OOOOOH, ME TOO, ME TOO!
icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
I'll admit I'm wondering about her response too! icon_wink.gif

Babarooskie Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 3:36pm
post #19 of 40

No response yet icon_cool.gif

At this point, she's rubbed me the wrong way for me to even consider doing another cake. But we'll see...
If not, then drinks with the girls it is! LOL

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 3:43pm
post #20 of 40

no you didnt do anything wrong...nothing at all. next time C.O.D.

some people are just cheap. dont worry about it.

twinmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinmommy Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 3:43pm
post #21 of 40

You know what? I have the very same thing being done to me constantly. I made a huge delivery and the girl I work with says, "Uh can I pay you next week? I had to pay the hair dresser!

Why do they not respect us? I let it go. The next month she ordered a red velvet birthday cake with a huge charactor on it that I did free hand and you know what she said? I don't have the money. I said no problem. Wen home and threw it in the freezer. I felt bad because the whole week she told the office that her daughter did not have a birthday cake but you know what? If you don't have the money go make a quick homemade cake and buy some candles! Kids are so happy either way! Mind you, I stood up till 4am doing this cake knowing I had my day job to go to the next day.

My favorite customers are the ones I don't know or work with.

Can't wait to see her response!

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 3:47pm
post #22 of 40

wow i am very curious to see what she replies as well......you did very well explaining things to her....

Babarooskie Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 4:10pm
post #23 of 40

Thanks...

I haven't gotten anything yet.
I didn't mention this- but last night when I spoke with her, she asked if I can make 70 cupcakes for her new "clothing line" party. (Yes, this is the woman who can't pay $60 for a cake)
I asked when it would be for, and she said Oct. 18.
I said, "Sounds great but I can't. I'll be out of town from Oct. 11-22."
What I was thinking, "Too Bad, So Sad!" LOL

Then she asked if I could recommend anyone to her.
Any of you want her?? LOL

Babarooskie Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 4:40pm
post #24 of 40

WELL... I GOT AN UPDATE FOR YOU ALL:

Her response:

hi natalie!

thank you for this email.
unfortunately i am going to have to pass on the estimate.
like i said last night it was out of my budget. i do appreciate your help and wish you luck!

have a great weekend!

My Response:

Hi Jen:

That's not a problem
Have a great weekend as well.

Thanks!

Good Riddance!

breelaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
breelaura Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 5:03pm
post #25 of 40

The pp who mentioned her charging for her own services planted a seed here... if you can stand to work with her again (and I'm not suggesting you go out of your way to try - some things are worth more than money, like SANITY), or if she asks for another estimate, quote her the full price. If it's "out of her budget," and you actually WANT to do the cake, get some goods out of her! She's got a media company... have you got professional business cards, brochures, or whatever services she customarily provides?

I trade services all the time. I'm not a professional baker, but I do bake cakes, cookies, and other treats in exchange for other services sometimes, which makes everybody happy, and it's less sticky than dealing with actual cash discussions for some folks.

tasteebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tasteebakes Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 5:05pm
post #26 of 40

Often people who seem to have the most money only have the most debt.

And often those who seem to have little money (older cars, etc) have the most.

We can never judge a book by it's cover.

I can't believe she balked at $60. With the eiffel tower it should have been more!

tasteebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tasteebakes Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 5:14pm
post #27 of 40

breelaura has a good point.

I trade cakes for ads on the radio. and it costs me less than purchasing the ad would.

Babarooskie Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 5:16pm
post #28 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by breelaura

The pp who mentioned her charging for her own services planted a seed here... if you can stand to work with her again (and I'm not suggesting you go out of your way to try - some things are worth more than money, like SANITY), or if she asks for another estimate, quote her the full price. If it's "out of her budget," and you actually WANT to do the cake, get some goods out of her! She's got a media company... have you got professional business cards, brochures, or whatever services she customarily provides?

I trade services all the time. I'm not a professional baker, but I do bake cakes, cookies, and other treats in exchange for other services sometimes, which makes everybody happy, and it's less sticky than dealing with actual cash discussions for some folks.

I totally understand where you're coming from and that's what I thought at first. That's why I was pretty easy on the price for the first cake... but little things that she did just were not right with me. For example: I had been waiting for her for an hour at the club and calling..and she wouldn't answer. Then, after an hour and a half, I asked the manager if she had arrived and he said yes- ten minutes earlier. She could've called me and let me know that she had arrived. I thought that was VERY inconsiderate.
I was directed to her in the VIP section and all her friends were there. And not to be rude, but they just all stared at me with snobby faces.

I was pissed at that point. Then the next day I was calling and calling... and no answer, finally at 8 PM she said she left the check in her mailbox (she was too drunk to drive home that night so she slept at a friends house). What does that mean??? I HAD TO GO OUT MY WAY-AGAIN- TO PICK UP THE MONEY. She was just a hassle to begin with...

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 5:29pm
post #29 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by breelaura

I trade services all the time. .

I do that also. My neighbor is a wonderful hairdresser at a place that I can't afford/don't want to spend that much money type place. I trade her cakes for haircut for my daughter. She gets what she wants, and I get what I want, and no money is exchanged.
It is a good barter system.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 5:36pm
post #30 of 40

Well the funniest thing are the people that are well off are the tighest with their money. Most of them that is.
Dont let someone walk all over you because they will if you let them. I found from my last experience of having almost the same problem as you, that your time is money. Your time is just as important as theirs. So with that said, dont be afraid to charge. Charge for delivery if its out of your way. Charge for extra things you dont normally do. And if they say its not in their budget like their expecting you to do it for free, dont give in. Because when you do, this is when they feel that they can walk all over you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%