Laura102777 Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 5:45pm
post #31 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babarooskie

WELL... I GOT AN UPDATE FOR YOU ALL:

Her response:

hi natalie!

thank you for this email.
unfortunately i am going to have to pass on the estimate.
like i said last night it was out of my budget. i do appreciate your help and wish you luck!

have a great weekend!

My Response:

Hi Jen:

That's not a problem
Have a great weekend as well.

Thanks!

Good Riddance!

While I completely agree that you did the right thing with not buckling on your prices here, I'm really glad the communication stayed civil on both sides. I can definitely see why the first experience left such a bad taste in your mouth for future business with her, but I'm glad she wasn't rude or insulting when you gave her your final price.

kathys90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathys90 Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 6:16pm
post #32 of 40

I had that happen to me on my 2nd wedding cake. Now this wasn't a young bride. This was a woman, roughly 40, who had grown children. I charged her $100 for a 3 tier cake on a pedastel (in my photos), 50% down. (Remember I was pretty new at this)

She asked me to have it at the park at 12:00 and that someone would be there to pay me. I got there on time....with my husband and son in tow (the bride was the mother of my son's best friend). We waited for 2HOURS for anyone to show up. And we're out in the park, with the sun, and the bees. By the time someone got there, they had no money....they just kept making me move the cake, 3 times!

When the bride finally got there, she forgot her checkbook and had to run home. Now we're talking 3 1/2 hours of wait time.

Two weeks later, I'm down in Florida visiting my mom and went to check on my bank balance (didn't want to get stuck with no money) and come to find her check bounced! I called her immediately and had her deliver cash to my home....$60 to include the cost of the bounced check fee!

Oh, and as a side note, she returned my cake plate a month later, with cake still on it (it smelled so bad I just threw it away)!

I will NEVER do a cake for this woman again.

I definitely feel your pain!

Babarooskie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babarooskie Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 6:32pm
post #33 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathys90

I had that happen to me on my 2nd wedding cake. Now this wasn't a young bride. This was a woman, roughly 40, who had grown children. I charged her $100 for a 3 tier cake on a pedastel (in my photos), 50% down. (Remember I was pretty new at this)

She asked me to have it at the park at 12:00 and that someone would be there to pay me. I got there on time....with my husband and son in tow (the bride was the mother of my son's best friend). We waited for 2HOURS for anyone to show up. And we're out in the park, with the sun, and the bees. By the time someone got there, they had no money....they just kept making me move the cake, 3 times!

When the bride finally got there, she forgot her checkbook and had to run home. Now we're talking 3 1/2 hours of wait time.

Two weeks later, I'm down in Florida visiting my mom and went to check on my bank balance (didn't want to get stuck with no money) and come to find her check bounced! I called her immediately and had her deliver cash to my home....$60 to include the cost of the bounced check fee!

Oh, and as a side note, she returned my cake plate a month later, with cake still on it (it smelled so bad I just threw it away)!

I will NEVER do a cake for this woman again.

I definitely feel your pain!

Oh my gosh! That is horrible!!!
I even made a cutomer receipt stating the following:

-there may be non-edible decor on the cake
-cake decorator DOES NOT cut and serve the cake
- the recipient is responsible for the cake once it is picked up/delivered

and then it goes in to detail about their cake..
I have to cover my behind

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 6:40pm
post #34 of 40

That inconsiderate B****. Not even a "I'm sorry, I never thought about you having to pay the valet." If you have a real bad enemy, you could recommend her to this crazy tight wad women.

Kathys90, I would categorize your bridezilla right up there with Babarooskie's thorn in the side.

Glad I have not had to deal with such but I do very few cakes.

Diane

kathys90 Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 6:43pm
post #35 of 40

"and then it goes in to detail about their cake..
I have to cover my behind"

Believe me, I do now too! I know how you feel!

kathys90 Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 6:47pm
post #36 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionladydi

Kathys90, I would categorize your bridezilla right up there with Babarooskie's thorn in the side. Diane

Thanks lionladydi! I try to avoid bridezillas at all cost now!

vickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickster Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 6:59pm
post #37 of 40

It may be different with cake, but my policy on custom art work was 50% at placing of the order and the remainder by a week before the delivery date. Especially with weddings I think it would be pretty risky to wait to get paid until AFTER you've done all the work. There's a good chance they've gone over budget. think about it, if you mail order something, they get that money off your credit card before you get the stuff. If you buy something on EBAY you pay before it's shipped to you. We're talking about a CUSTOM project, which means its something you couldn't sell to someone else were they to back out on you.
My hubby (specialty carpenter) does his in thirds. A third up front, a third when he's part way through, a third at completion. Those are more long term projects that involve a good bit of money. In the scheme of things, cakes are just too cheap to get shafted over. Get all your money up front.

kathys90 Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 7:06pm
post #38 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickster

It may be different with cake, but my policy on custom art work was 50% at placing of the order and the remainder by a week before the delivery date. Especially with weddings I think it would be pretty risky to wait to get paid until AFTER you've done all the work. There's a good chance they've gone over budget. think about it, if you mail order something, they get that money off your credit card before you get the stuff. If you buy something on EBAY you pay before it's shipped to you. We're talking about a CUSTOM project, which means its something you couldn't sell to someone else were they to back out on you.
My hubby (specialty carpenter) does his in thirds. A third up front, a third when he's part way through, a third at completion. Those are more long term projects that involve a good bit of money. In the scheme of things, cakes are just too cheap to get shafted over. Get all your money up front.

The way I do it now is 50% at time of order, then the remainder is due 10 days prior to the event. If they cancel the cake within a week of the wedding refunds are at my discretion.

Babarooskie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babarooskie Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 7:07pm
post #39 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionladydi

That inconsiderate B****. Not even a "I'm sorry, I never thought about you having to pay the valet." If you have a real bad enemy, you could recommend her to this crazy tight wad women.

Kathys90, I would categorize your bridezilla right up there with Babarooskie's thorn in the side.

Glad I have not had to deal with such but I do very few cakes.

Diane

That's exactly what I said! Not even a "I'm sorry you had to pay Valet"..
She basically got that cake for free! $20 Valet, $14 drink,..gas...

ugh. I'm glad it's over and done with. Hubby's happy too- he couldn't stand her icon_lol.gif

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 1:03am
post #40 of 40

I agree with 'hubby'. I can't stand her either and I've never met her. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Diane

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%