Help For An Anniversary Cake For Gay Couple

Decorating By newbiecakedecorator58 Updated 22 Feb 2008 , 7:49pm by baka4lyfe20

newbiecakedecorator58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbiecakedecorator58 Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 6:14pm
post #1 of 33

hi folks
ive been asked to do an anniversary cake for a gay couple, and dont have any ideas where to start regarding decoration....... ive looked about and all i seem to find is wedding cake toppers, but i dont want anything like that. this couple are also friends, but cant seem to come up with anything that would represent them. please help me, i need this done by saturday.

thanks in advance (as usual)xx

32 replies
nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 6:19pm
post #2 of 33

Do they have the same hobby? Like the same sports? Do a cake that would represent a common interest they have....favorite colors.......hmmm..I can't think my brain is on melt down right now....

meldancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meldancer Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 6:20pm
post #3 of 33

Could you do something non gender like chocolate with fruit or chocolate strawberries on top? Or something whimsy and fun with curls exploding out fo the top.

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 6:21pm
post #4 of 33

Well aside from being gay what else can you tell us about this couple? Do they have a favortie activity that they do together? A family pet perhaps? A new home? A panache for cars?
Are they a male couple or a female couple?
I bet with a bit more info about the coupe the wonderful crew here at CC can come up with tons of great ideas thumbs_up.gif

DCHall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DCHall Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 6:21pm
post #5 of 33

Do you have a particular theme in mind? How many years has this couple been together?

I would skip the wedding toppers and maybe do a bow or flower topper instead. It's more universal.

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 6:21pm
post #6 of 33

do something to represnt their favorite restaurant.....if they have movie nights do a movie themed cake......just try and think of something that connects them...you know what I mean?

Luxe42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luxe42 Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 6:26pm
post #7 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by spongemomsweatpants

Well aside from being gay what else can you tell us about this couple? Do they have a favortie activity that they do together? A family pet perhaps? A new home? A panache for cars?
Are they a male couple or a female couple?
I bet with a bit more info about the coupe the wonderful crew here at CC can come up with tons of great ideas thumbs_up.gif

This is exactly what I would have said icon_wink.gif We need more info to help icon_biggrin.gif

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 6:33pm
post #8 of 33

if they are having an anniversary party...and you are not sure what to do...how about starting with their invitations to the party...perhaps a topsy turvey cake with the colors of the invite...that might be a good start!!!!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 6:37pm
post #9 of 33

I have tons of gay and lesbian friends and they don't require anything special. Actually their orientation has nothing to do with an anniversary party. They'll probably enjoy something that tastes good and is designed well, but then who doesn't?

If they want a same-genered couple for the top of the cake they are available and I'll bet they know where to find one. However, my anniversary cakes rarely have a couple on the top. Generally its a bow, or a number or flowers.

THESUGARCOW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
THESUGARCOW Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 6:38pm
post #10 of 33

well
something with a rainbow
i think that represents them right?
and a big smiling sun !
i think i saw a cake with a big sun here if i find it in my pictures i will bring it...to you..good luck

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 6:42pm
post #11 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisza

well
something with a rainbow
i think that represents them right?
and a big smiling sun !
i think i saw a cake with a big sun here if i find it in my pictures i will bring it...to you..good luck

If you don't know the couple well, I'd avoid the rainbow theme. Not all gay people like that kind of thing.

I agree with other readers that more information would be helpful. But, I would imagine a tasty, well-decorated cake that looks pretty would be perfectly fine for them.

mcassada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcassada Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 6:48pm
post #12 of 33

humm, that would be hard
I do somewhat agree with everyone as far a just a tastfully decorated cake would be nice, something elagant and i like the fruit idea too.

THESUGARCOW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
THESUGARCOW Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 6:53pm
post #13 of 33

icon_confused.gif
ok
then just some whimsical decorations ...
but i still insist with at least a smiling sun . icon_eek.gif
at least for me everytime i see the sun
makes me feel happy that i made trough another day! icon_rolleyes.gif

newbiecakedecorator58 Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 6:56pm
post #14 of 33

hiya gang, sorry i didnt explain myself very well did i, i just presumed that everyone would know they are a male couple. one is a hairdresser and the other is an electrician, one is very outgoing, the other isnt.

the reason for my question was basically so that i can put "something" on there cake instead of just "jim and john". i think that would be abit boring

arahsa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arahsa Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 6:58pm
post #15 of 33

I have read alot of GREAT suggestions. I would stick with something that they like. A color theme, animal, house. Do not look at it as a cake for a " Gay couple". You need to look at it as two people celibrating a anniversary. I would ask what there decor is and run with that.

HAVE FUN!

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 7:05pm
post #16 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbiecakedecorator58

hiya gang, sorry i didnt explain myself very well did i, i just presumed that everyone would know they are a male couple. one is a hairdresser and the other is an electrician, one is very outgoing, the other isnt.

the reason for my question was basically so that i can put "something" on there cake instead of just "jim and john". i think that would be abit boring

ok so perhaps like previously suggested a pirrotte cake with choc dipped strawberries on top. I also like the suggestion of taking some inspiration from their party invites. Invites I have found tell a lot about the couples personal style.
Like everyone already said though anything that is yummy and tastefully decorated will sure to be a big hit.
Pehaps some hair dresser products like combs and hairdyrers piled up on the top of the cake with a tool belt wrapped around the bottom and plumbing pipes snaking their way up to the top...or instead of hair dresser stuff have a hair dressers washing sink on the top with the pipes going to it?
saying something like "Jim and John working well toghether after (#) of years"

edited to add: whoops for some reason I thought plumber and hair dresser..ok replace plumbing with wires and replace sink with outlet that has hairdryer plugged in...sorry about that icon_redface.gif

Wandootie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wandootie Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 7:13pm
post #17 of 33

I've had no experience with this, but I would think that they probably want things as normal as possible to everyone else...nothing that would be a steriotype for gays like the rainbow, etc.

If it were me, I would do a chocolate or creams cheese iced cake with fresh fruits...sugared strawberries, grapes, etc.

Good luck and let us know what you come up with.

Wanda

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 7:21pm
post #18 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

I have tons of gay and lesbian friends and they don't require anything special. Actually their orientation has nothing to do with an anniversary party. They'll probably enjoy something that tastes good and is designed well, but then who doesn't?

If they want a same-genered couple for the top of the cake they are available and I'll bet they know where to find one. However, my anniversary cakes rarely have a couple on the top. Generally its a bow, or a number or flowers.

Perfect answer Leah and my thoughts exactly. If it were a same sex wedding cake and they wanted a topper then yes, it could be two men, or if Lesbian, two women. But for birthdays and anniversaries I've never had any of my LGBT friends request anything with a gay theme. Ask what their favorite flavors are, if there is a theme for the party, will it be elegant or casual, will there be flowers on the tables that you might match on the cake? Where did they meet?, where did they honeymoon? Maybe you can take something from that.

authress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
authress Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 8:08pm
post #19 of 33

As (what feels like) the token lesbian on CC, I'll echo the sentiments stated that no "gay" theme is necessary. Unless they're really in the whole "pride" thing, the tone/theme of the party is much more relevant. Will it be casual or elegant, funky or classy, day or evening? Do you know much about the party?

auntiemcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiemcakes Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 9:15pm
post #20 of 33

Authress you are not alone....I also am a lesbian and have to say that I am shocked by how difficult this is compared to the thousands of other cakes that people give advice about on CC.

As a part of a gay couple of more than 10 years, my anniversary cake should reflect my interests, hobbies, style, pets, family, or anything else that is important to me and my partner. Sounds pretty familiar doesn't it? I personally wouldn't mind a cake with the traditional "gay" sybolism such as rainbows, pink or black triangles, lambda signs etc. however, I happen to be proud of that part of the lesbian culture and celebrate the tradition and history behind them. As many have said, I would think that you would want to find out about the couple and their wishes just like you would any couple celebrating an anniversary. Them being a gay couple shouldn't have anything to do with the design of the cake unless they specifically request that it be.

Kim_m_kk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_m_kk Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 2:14am
post #21 of 33

Welll add me in to the lesbian crowd. And I am actually in the process of planning a committment ceremony at the moment for myself and my partner of 4 years. It drives me crazy... This cake is no different than any other couple. And I can think of nothing more tacky than a rainbow cake with pink triangles and a giant sun....unless this is something they are into. One caterer and one cake maker have already lost our business over this. I do live in a very small town and we are the token lesbian couple in a lot of ways but it drives me crazy. For our wedding we want a two tier cake with some chocolate shells on it...to go with our simple beach ceremony. No different than any other couple.

Lorendabug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorendabug Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 2:57am
post #22 of 33

An anniversary is to celebrate a commitment that two people have made to each other. Nothing else really matters. I am sure they have an idea of what they like it is up to the cake decorator/artist to find out what it is. There have already been some very good suggestions, but the best have been ask questions. You need more information from your customer before you can do anything else. Good luck and don't forget to post a picture. icon_smile.gif

texasbecky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texasbecky Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 3:08am
post #23 of 33

How about using their initials in some sort of elegant mongram. Maybe you could intertwine the two Js. Be sure and post picture of whatever you do and good luck.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 3:09am
post #24 of 33

Hope you have a hair-raising anniversary

double pun -- hairdresser when they tease the hair -- and oops finger in the socket for electrician

------

J & J initials on cake?

newbiecakedecorator58 Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 9:00am
post #25 of 33

thank you all so much for you answers - i have spoken to a few of my other gay friends and they have suggested - (though im not sure about it) a bottle of fave aftershave and fave designer sunglasses......

ive also found out there fave flower is a lily. i think i might go with the lily.

once again thank you all for your answers. its much appreciated.

ladeebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladeebug Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 10:33am
post #26 of 33

I don't know about an anniversary cake, but I found a beautiful wedding cake on line. Very simple tiered cake and each tier was a different color of the rainbow. It's beautiful. I wish our state were more progressive and I could make this cake for my brother and his partner!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 10:53am
post #27 of 33

Go with the lilies.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

PistachioCranberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PistachioCranberry Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 11:11am
post #28 of 33

Being that I am a lesbian we don't always have to have something that signifies our orientation....is their house decorated in victorian...art deco...country anything like that....just play off of their likes. Good luck

bakedandiced Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakedandiced Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 11:15am
post #29 of 33

Okay just talked to my bf who is a gay man and he says go with the lilies . A nice garden of lilies and the two J's intertwined. Should come out lovely. He was thinking a tiered cake and the J's could be on the side of the middle tier and the lilies cascading down from the top. Good Luck

Wandootie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wandootie Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 1:01pm
post #30 of 33

I think the lilies and the intertwined J's would be beautiful. Working from something that they both like or have in common. Like I said before, I would stay away from the rainbows and that sort of thing unless they ask for it. They are regular folks like the rest of us and have feelings just like the rest of us. I wouldn't single them out by any means.

I'm not gay, but have some gay friends and I will tell you that they are the best bunch...honest and loyal...that I have ever had.

Good luck on your decision and to the happy couple!

Wanda

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%