Feeling A Little Taken Advantage Of

Decorating By summernoelle Updated 30 Aug 2007 , 9:37pm by Zaxapi

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 1:24pm
post #1 of 69

So several months ago I posted something where I neighbor ordered a cake, I bought the supplies and everything, and then she canceled because the price was too high. Anyway, 6 months later, she is wanting me to make a cake for her dad who is coming into town. I said sure. And basically she wants me to bring the receipt from the store for the supplies, and just reimburse me, that's it.
I know she is a friend, BUT, there is something about this that seems so disrespectful. Like she doesn't realize that my time and talents are worth paying for, too. She didn't even offer to pay for anything but the supplies! Nothing is set in stone yet, should I just tell her no?

68 replies
foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 1:28pm
post #2 of 69

I would tell her no, you already lost $$ on one cake, why do her any favors?

jobartwo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobartwo Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 1:29pm
post #3 of 69

I would feel the same way. It is disappointing when you do something nice and people expect so much more. If she is a friend, I would probably just do the cake and internalize the anger. I am sure others will have much better advice. But I just feel for you.

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 1:32pm
post #4 of 69

Seems our little friend doesn't understand what goes into a cake.
Get in the car, hopefully there's gas in it.
Fight the crowd to gather ingredients.
Get boards and a box.
Turn on oven (utility bill) to bake
Turn on mixer (utility bill) to mix.
Decorate. (how much is your hourly rate?)
Clean up. Oh, who ignited the bomb in the kithcen?
More gas $ to deliver?
Make 2 copies of your reciept then hand them over. That would be a minimum for your making a cake.
Yep your being taken advantage of.

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 1:33pm
post #5 of 69

I would tell her you are already booked for that time. Maybe then she will realize that you are not just turning off the soaps and putting down the bonbons to make her cake!

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 1:36pm
post #6 of 69

How abut saying " I would normally charge XXX for that cake, but since we are friends, I'll only charge you XXX....."

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 1:38pm
post #7 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by grama_j

How abut saying " I would normally charge XXX for that cake, but since we are friends, I'll only charge you XXX....."

great idea...

JenWith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWith Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 1:40pm
post #8 of 69

Boo! No cake for her!! I wouldn't do it. Next thing you know she'll be asking for a monthly cake and just paying for the supplies. No way. Don't do it!

kneadacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneadacookie Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 1:40pm
post #9 of 69

i would also tell her i was busy. she's just going to keep taking advantage.
i don't know where some people get off thinking you have nothing to do but cakes for free just because you know them. the other day my brother tells me he needs a cake for his daughter's birthday this weekend, but he wants it BETTER than last year...something he can take pictures of. I MADE THE CAKE LAST YEAR!! i was insulted. it was the pineapple cake in my pics. i was very hurt!! some people just have no tact.
tell her you're busy making a very expensive cake!!

JenWith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWith Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 1:42pm
post #10 of 69

Kneadacookie-
That pineapple cake is AWESOME! Boo to your brother too! "Better than last year". I would be insulted too!

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 1:42pm
post #11 of 69

The only way I'd make a cake for her is if she paid full price with a 50% deposit. Do you show any of your other clients your receipts?! No!

I'm pissed off for you icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif . My AUNT called me yesterday and ordered a cake and INSISTED that I charge here full price. What makes this neighbor-friend so special that she only pays for ingridents? icon_confused.gif

lizbuth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizbuth Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 1:43pm
post #12 of 69

Yup, I agree, you are being taken advantage of!! I like the post above about listing out in detail you price list. I would include every single aspect of what you use to make the cake. I would also be sure to charge for "labor"...you don't get a house built without "labor" charges....no difference here!!

It's hard to charge friends, but from previous experience, once you start cutting them big deals, you will always have to cut deals.

Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 1:45pm
post #13 of 69

Maybe you could tell her that while you're making her cake she can mow your yard with her push-mower...and if she'll bring you a receipt for the gas she puts in it to use it, then you'll reimburse her. icon_smile.gif

Sorry, but I find it so insulting that not only is she not willing to pay you for the work you put into making the cake, but she actually said for you to bring her the receipt...like she doesn't trust that you won't pad up your expenses or something. What's next, will she prorate the price of a dozen eggs because you didn't use a full dozen in her cake??

kneadacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneadacookie Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 1:46pm
post #14 of 69

when i first started i was also worried about everyone watning a deal. a good friend said, if they're really your friends they'll want to make sure you're taken care of. she was right. i get paid better from my true friends. the only ones who want deals are my sorta friends(and my brother)LOL
jen...thanks!

UGoCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UGoCakes Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 1:52pm
post #15 of 69

If she dosen't want to pay for labor tell her she can save money by baking it herself after she buys the supplies.

No other business or industry sells their product at supplies costs only and "installs-or whatever" for free.

Plus if you do it for this neighbor others may want the same deal.

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 1:53pm
post #16 of 69

Kneadacookie... love your name. You cookies are CRAZY!!!!! And your brother is pyscho. I thought, "Why'd she post a picture of a pineapple?" when I saw the small picture in your gallery.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 1:59pm
post #17 of 69

Yeah, that's pretty crumby. But honestly, I would tell her what grama_j said. I would start out by say, "You know I can't do a cake like that." And then what grama_said.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 2:02pm
post #18 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

...... And basically she wants me to bring the receipt from the store for the supplies, and just reimburse me, that's it.
I know she is a friend, BUT, there is something about this that seems so disrespectful. Like she doesn't realize that my time and talents are worth paying for, too. She didn't even offer to pay for anything but the supplies! Nothing is set in stone yet, should I just tell her no?

And you're only feeling a LITTLE taken advantage of??? There would have been no second time around for someone who dumped the first order because it was 'too expensive'.

It's none of her business WHAT you pay for your supplies. HOW dare she ask for the receipt?? She's calling you untruthful with that statement, she's not trusting you to tell her what you actually paid--not that THAT should matter. She's ordering a service, not a bag of groceries!

I can't believe this is even an issue.

Oh this has me going. More so that you're even fretting over it, than she's a big enough dunderhead to expect it of you. Here's a senario I'd lay out for her.

I'd like to hire you to clean my house, Mrs. Cheapskate. Now, Mrs. Cheapskate, you bring all the supplies, with the reciept you paid for them. I'll weigh the items as they come in the door, and with my handy dandy calculator in hand, I'll pay you based on what is left in the can when you leave.
That's all you get!

OHMY!!

DiannaSue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiannaSue Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 2:07pm
post #19 of 69

First of all friends should not do that. 2nd of all could she go into Sam's, or another bakery and say I want to order a cake and I will pay for only the supplies. Since you got stung on the first cake I would just say "sorry I am busy that week". Since I have been on this board and I am learning to say NO to people, which I never would have thought would happen.

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 2:08pm
post #20 of 69

Get in the car, hopefully there's gas in it.
Fight the crowd to gather ingredients.
Get boards and a box.
Turn on oven (utility bill) to bake
Turn on mixer (utility bill) to mix.
Decorate. (how much is your hourly rate?)
Clean up. Oh, who ignited the bomb in the kithcen?
More gas $ to deliver?
Make 2 copies of your reciept then hand them over. That would be a minimum for your making a cake.
Yep your being taken advantage of.

AMEN SISTER!!!! And I think I'm going to make a copy of this statement, put it in my cake appt. book and read it daily! I always feel a little guilty charging friends full price (notice I said a "little" guilty), but this really puts it in perspective!!

summernoelle Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 2:08pm
post #21 of 69

Ugh! It is so frustrating. She is not even a good friend. She is a neighbor, and she only comes around when she is trying to sell me Pampered Chef or something from her kid's school. We were good friends when we first moved into our house 2 years ago, but not really since.
I have several people in my life like this-her, who won't order because the prices are too high but will pay cost, and 2 other friends who won't order from me period, or even acknowledge that I make cakes.
This has got to change! I am good at this, and it is starting to p*** me off that my "friends" don't think so and just order from other bakeries!

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 2:10pm
post #22 of 69

Maybe you should write out your own receipt including gas, labor, cleaning charges (most maids charge at LEAST $10/hr!) and add it to all the supplies...and don't forget ANY. Color, flavor, eggs, milk, mix or scratch ingredients, etc. DON'T leave those off just because you happen to have some lying around!!!

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 2:12pm
post #23 of 69

Okay, well now I'm changing my response. I was under the impression that you guys were better friends.

Definitely tell her, I'm already booked. I can't. Maybe some other time.

campinsp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
campinsp Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 2:13pm
post #24 of 69

Go for it. Lets see...... Here is your supply list
1. new pans
2. new mixer
3. new decorating bag, tips
4. colors
5. cake boards
6. cake mix supplies

That should do it. Go ahead and make that cake!!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

summernoelle Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 2:15pm
post #25 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by campinsp

Go for it. Lets see...... Here is your supply list
1. new pans
2. new mixer
3. new decorating bag, tips
4. colors
5. cake boards
6. cake mix supplies

That should do it. Go ahead and make that cake!!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

icon_lol.gif

justme50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme50 Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 2:19pm
post #26 of 69
Quote:
Quote:

I know she is a friend

No she isn't. If she was, she'd never take advantage of you like that, either time.

I wouldn't give this one a second thought and I wouldn't be nice about it.

Quote:
Quote:

This has got to change! I am good at this, and it is starting to p*** me off that my "friends" don't think so and just order from other bakeries!

It does and you're the one who has to do it. I'm a firm believer in you only get treated as well as you demand to be treated. Take the first step in believing that your time and talent should be respected by telling this neighbor NO! It's amazing how easy it gets to say that after you've done it a few times. thumbs_up.gif

Michele01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele01 Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 2:19pm
post #27 of 69

You should invite her over while you make the cake, so she can see just how "easy" it is. I guarantee she would be the one feeling guilty after that. I invited a friend over, who was thinking of doing cakes. After half a day, she said she didn't think she would be able to have the patience for this. Also, tell her to go to the store if she wants the price cheap.

summernoelle Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 2:19pm
post #28 of 69

OMG, I forgot the other part. Yesterday evening, I get this email from her husband that says
"Please call Name at 10 PM tonight about the cake."

3 thoughts:
10 is super late
Rude email from husband
Call me yourself!!!! It's your cake!!!!

QueenB4U Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenB4U Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 2:19pm
post #29 of 69

kansaslaura's post says it for me!

This person doesn't even trust you enough so that she wants to see a copy of the receipt?? Tell her not to let the door hit her backside on the way out!

cakesbyallison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyallison Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 2:26pm
post #30 of 69

Let it be known, if you do this cake for her, you are setting a precendence, and she will continue to expect this in the future. Even my best friends pay for cakes, because they do know and appreciate the quality and effort. (Now sometimes I refuse their money, but they would never assume it's free!) They cannot get what I make, at the grocery store! Nor can she! Sounds like she's wanting something for nothing... you need to look out for what's best for you. Don't let yourself or your talents be taken for granted!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%