Buttercream????

Decorating By JMunoz Updated 24 Aug 2007 , 10:00pm by sweet_T7

JMunoz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JMunoz Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 3:26pm
post #1 of 31

Can you use buttercream to frost the whole cake? That might be a crazy question, but in are Wilton class we just used store bought icing. Then decorated with BC. We were told never frost with BC because it will crack. If you can use BC, is there something you do to it before using it? Thin it out???

30 replies
kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 3:30pm
post #2 of 31

Yes.............all of my cakes are iced in all BC, as well as a huge percentage of people on this site..........use a good crusting BC recipe (there are many on this site)..........that's strange that an instructor told you to never ice with BC.............. icon_confused.gificon_surprised.gif

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 3:35pm
post #3 of 31

I exclusively use BC to ice ALL of my cakes.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 3:36pm
post #4 of 31

That's got to be the dumbest advice I ever heard! I'm a 100% BC decorator and I've iced cakes in my homemade BC for 25 years.

They are obviously trying to sell you more of their product or the instructor you had didn't know how to work with BC very well.

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 3:39pm
post #5 of 31

Never ice with BC? Now, that's a 1st! I've never heard of BC cracking, either.

Yes, you CAN ice the entire cake with BC! The Wilton canned icing is okay for practice, but to me it's way too sweet and definately not as good as homemade BC.

Gale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gale Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 3:40pm
post #6 of 31

I too use BC exclusively for icing my cakes. I think that's a very strange remark coming from an instructor. The only thing I use fondant and royal icing for are imbelishments and haven't been using fondant for very long.

q2wheels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
q2wheels Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 4:28pm
post #7 of 31

Count me as one who uses BC exclusively. Haven't yet tried fondant....but will be this weekend.

What a strange comment! But I've never taken classes either.

Toni Ann

ShortcakesSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShortcakesSweets Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 4:35pm
post #8 of 31

Ice the cake with a thin consistency Buttercream. You want it to crust over after you have iced the cake so you can smooth it.

NVP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NVP Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 4:43pm
post #9 of 31

what would be a good crusting buttercream receipe if the cake is in the heat???

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 4:46pm
post #10 of 31

Ridiculous. Like everyone else, buttercream is the base of every decorated cake I do.

Yummy!

indydebi Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 4:46pm
post #11 of 31

2 lb p. sugar
1-1/3 cups crisco
2-3 Tbsp clear vanilla
1/3 to 1/2 cup milk, for desired consistency
3 tbsp powdered dream whip

I've used this recipe for 20+ years. My cakes have sat outside for 5 hours in 90+ degree heat with super high humidity (the thunderstorm broke 15 minutes after I had left for the night, after the cake had been cut and everything). No melting.

indydebi Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 4:46pm
post #12 of 31

remove dupl post

SweetSandee92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSandee92 Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 4:51pm
post #13 of 31

I, too, am a BC user...completely.

I've heard of the BC "cracking" because it's happened to me. My BC use to "crack" after the crusting process, I would left up the cake to move it and would see lines that looked like crackes on the cake. I was reading on another site...notice others having the very some problem.. the solution.. to put 1-2 drops of white vingar in the BC while mixing.. and guess what..IT WORKED! It doesn't change the flavor because you are using very little vingar.

diamondjacks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondjacks Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 4:55pm
post #14 of 31

Awesome tip with the vinegar...

I am jaw dropped at this instructor! Find someone else to take the class from and quick!

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 4:58pm
post #15 of 31

I took a Wilton class and the instructor made us make buttercream for every class. We used the recipes found in the Course I book.

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 4:59pm
post #16 of 31

Just wanted to ad that the support plate for the cake is very important to prevent cracking. Make sure you have a strong support for the cake, or when you pick the cake up it will flex and you will get cracks.

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 5:03pm
post #17 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

That's got to be the dumbest advice I ever heard! I'm a 100% BC decorator and I've iced cakes in my homemade BC for 25 years.

They are obviously trying to sell you more of their product or the instructor you had didn't know how to work with BC very well.

Obviously tryin to sell you the Wilton Icing....

Try my recipe, it's not too sweet and it works great for icing and decorating.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-5343-0-Decorating-Icing-Recipe.html

Good Luck.

azeboi2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azeboi2005 Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 5:14pm
post #18 of 31

awww poor novice instructor who doesn't yet know of cc. it's funny how everyone is gawlled by her advice, don't get me wrong i'm with everyone on this one i use buttercream on my cakes (cream cheese bc, chocolate, flavored) it's my frosting of choice. maybe she should be enlightened by the wonders of cake central. oh well just take all of everyone's advice, yes you can frost in bc and homemade is better than store bought. icon_wink.gif

NVP Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 5:17pm
post #19 of 31

indydebi- what is powdered dream whip? and where can i get it?

NVP Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 5:22pm
post #20 of 31

and would i have to use the crisco that has trans fat in it?

azeboi2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azeboi2005 Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 5:32pm
post #21 of 31
Quote:
Quote:

Nvp Wrote:
what is powdered dream whip? and where can i get it?

powdered dream whip is found in the baking isle you add vanilla and milk, whip it up and it forms a whipped cream like topping

NVP Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 5:38pm
post #22 of 31

wow good to know. thank you for that information! =)

indydebi Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 5:47pm
post #23 of 31

but dont' add the milk and turn it into whipped cream before you add it into the icing. Just 3 tbsps of the powder form.

hmarie_73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hmarie_73 Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 5:53pm
post #24 of 31

I almost wonder if she meant never to frost with RI? (Royal Icing)...I could see only decorating with that....

amysjustpeachy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysjustpeachy Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 5:55pm
post #25 of 31

When I first started decorating I would tend to have hairline cracks on my cakes after the icing crusted. My instructor (a good Wilton one!) told me to put some corn syrup in the icing for elasticity. Now I just put a "glug" into mine and I never have that problem.

JMunoz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JMunoz Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 6:49pm
post #26 of 31

Thanks everyone for the good advice! I will use all BC from now on! I also wanted to add that the instructor was very nice and I learned alot about decorating cakes. We brought our cakes already frosted to class and she focused on teaching us decorating techniques. I can make great roses, borders, etc. The other stuff, I'm learning from CC! Thanks again and I'm so glad I found this site!!!!!

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 7:13pm
post #27 of 31

The crack happens when you don't have enough support under your cakes..........double boards, foamcore, Tuff boards.........whatever your choice.........if the cake flexes underneath the icing from lack of support, it will crack the icing...........

cakelady77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady77 Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 7:28pm
post #28 of 31

I have experienced cracking before with BC. But it only happens after I take a cake out of the refridgerator and immediately go outside in the heat with it, without letting it sit at room temperature for a while.

anku Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anku Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 9:06pm
post #29 of 31

From where can I find powdered Dream whip??

indydebi Posted 24 Aug 2007 , 9:14pm
post #30 of 31

Walmart.
Aisle 8.
Next to the Jello and above the marshmellows.
Top shelf.
Blue and white box.

(I am in this store WAY too much! icon_eek.gif )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%