I Share Because I Care!

Decorating By Melvira Updated 13 Feb 2011 , 11:06pm by solascakes

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 12:08am
post #151 of 205

Hey TC... I use a version of the Wilton class buttercream actually. I started with a recipe that uses dream whip way back when... but when I took the classes a few years ago I was introduced to the class BC recipe. I liked the consistency, but hated the taste, so I tweaked it by replacing flavorings for a lot of the water.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 12:12am
post #152 of 205

Thanks Melvira~ Do you add the meringue powder? It never crusts when I don't use it. I think it's the humidity here. So I have to use it. Alot of people say don't but when I don't I have wet icing~ Thanks~

Melvira Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 12:20am
post #153 of 205

I am assuming that you were trying to ask about Mer---ingue powder. I know if you spell it right it will be edited out. I don't get that... does anyone know why that is? It's so odd. Anyway, yes I use it. I go heavy on it actually!

tcturtleshell Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 12:28am
post #154 of 205

What do you mean edited out? It shows it in a the color blue on my screen (just like Americolor does, so you can click on it)... can't you see it?

tcturtleshell Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 12:29am
post #155 of 205

Oh, & I did spell it right~ icon_smile.gif

Melvira Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 1:25am
post #156 of 205

Oh no... I know you spelled it right, that's what I was saying. However, here is how your post looks to me...

Thanks Melvira~ Do you add the ? It never crusts when I don't use it. I think it's the humidity here. So I have to use it. Alot of people say don't but when I don't I have wet icing~ Thanks~

The word mer-ingue powder is missing completely. I have to put the dash in the middle of the word because if I spell it correctly when I read the post it is missing. There is just a blank where the word was typed but no word.

Edited to add: I have noticed that with a lot of words. Some are ingredients, some are names of designers, etc. Would any moderators care to take a stab at why they think this is? Can anyone else see the word mer-ingue powder in TC's post? Maybe it's just me and I'm insane! hahahaha!

heavenscent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenscent Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 1:43am
post #157 of 205

wow I never would have thought about that. Thanks for the tip I love this site

JulesM7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulesM7 Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 1:53am
post #158 of 205

Melvira:
I get the words in blue as a link. When you click on them, it sends you to the shop area where you can buy m. powder.

BTW I recently tried the roller method - I am so hooked!!!

Melvira Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 2:04am
post #159 of 205

Ok, that is crazy. When you click to reply to a topic you know how you can scroll down and read the posts to remind yourself of what you saw? When I scroll down there, I see the word surrounded by the html code to make it a hyperlink, but in the actual post, the word is gone. I am going to go check my settings and see if something it whomped up somewhere. Just bizzare!

Oh Jules, I am so glad you liked the technique!! That pleases me very much to hear of your success!

Still waiting for someone to send me a box of lofthouse cookies. icon_lol.gif

babynewyear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babynewyear Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 2:24am
post #160 of 205

Cool, Sound like you could do alot with this idea. Paint roller!!! I would never have though of it. THanks icon_smile.gif

tcturtleshell Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 10:35am
post #161 of 205

You are insane Melvira LOL~ Just kidding~ icon_smile.gifYou might need to close out of CC & then come back in. That will probably work~ I thought you were telling me I spelled it wrong. I was fixing to get the dictionary out icon_smile.gif No worries~

ChristaPaloma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristaPaloma Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 11:13am
post #162 of 205
Quote:
Quote:

Ok, that is crazy. When you click to reply to a topic you know how you can scroll down and read the posts to remind yourself of what you saw? When I scroll down there, I see the word surrounded by the html code to make it a hyperlink, but in the actual post, the word is gone. I am going to go check my settings and see if something it whomped up somewhere. Just bizzare!

Actually, it is nothing wrong in settings..I noticed this too..
Anytime a word is used that has a hyperlink extension, it acts like a sticky sort of..in that you can't move it. When you try to quote someone with a highlighted word, it drops the word... so you always have to type it back in. *I'm guessing word tags can't be held within tags, so it drops them and anything they are tagging.*

Melvira Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 12:49pm
post #163 of 205

Hey Christa, that totally makes sense, but I can't even see it in the original post. I have checked my settings, but can see nothing that would casue this. I am totally stumped. I know it has nothing to do with this post, but it's really bugging me. It cuts out really important words, and that is a pain. I will be reading someone's post and it will say something like, "Oh, for the best way to do (insert whatever it is I want to do here) you should read the book by !" Instead of a name, there is just one blank space. IT'S SO FRUSTRATING!!

ChristaPaloma Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 1:04pm
post #164 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Hey Christa, that totally makes sense, but I can't even see it in the original post. I have checked my settings, but can see nothing that would casue this. I am totally stumped. I know it has nothing to do with this post, but it's really bugging me. It cuts out really important words, and that is a pain. I will be reading someone's post and it will say something like, "Oh, for the best way to do (insert whatever it is I want to do here) you should read the book by !" Instead of a name, there is just one blank space. IT'S SO FRUSTRATING!!

Hi Melvira.
Are you at least getting the spaces where the word should be? I mean..spaces the size of the word...

ChristaPaloma Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 1:33pm
post #165 of 205

Actually..I looked into this a little more (meaning I asked hubby what it would be lol) ... the thinking is that you are on an older browser that just can't see it...update to maybe Netscape's latest browser or Firefox maybe (both freebies)..but that is such a pain I find.. you have to reset so many things to get back to happy with it lol...

Melvira Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 3:01pm
post #166 of 205

Nope. Just one single space. icon_confused.gif

I'm on IE 6 with all the patches. Maybe I should try 7, didn't that just become available recently?

ChristaPaloma Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 4:28pm
post #167 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Nope. Just one single space. icon_confused.gif

I'm on IE 6 with all the patches. Maybe I should try 7, didn't that just become available recently?

Hmm...so am I ..havn't gone to 7 ...look at the options to the left of the posting box and see if html is set to on?

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 5:03pm
post #168 of 205

Melvira, YOU are a genius! Anyone on the Nobel Nominating Committee...because I think we have a new candidate! I have forgotten repeatedly to pick up a foam roller from the hardware store each and every time that we are in Home Depot or Lowes. This morning, I picked up my foam roller, and brought it straight home to finish up my afternoon cake orders. First try...absolutely stunned at how great this method worked for me!!! Thank you so much for sharing this with all of us. No more less than perfectly smooth cakes for this decorator!!! Thanks again!!!

Amy

Richard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Richard Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 6:58pm
post #169 of 205

Melvira

I tried it as well and it works beutifully. Thank you so much for sharing with all of us and making our jobs a lot easier and more fun. Who would have thought.

What ever happened that made you try this method.

Kathy

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 7:11pm
post #170 of 205

hi ho, hi ho, it's off to home depot i go....

tcturtleshell Posted 28 Oct 2006 , 10:54pm
post #171 of 205

Hey, I went to Lowe's today~ I found the edger thingy & a foam roller but I didn't found any roller holder thingys that would fit it. I guess they were out of them. Do you need a roller holder that doesn't have the white things at then end? I think I remember someone posting that. Can someone refresh my memory, thanks. The pic of the roller looks like it doesn't have the things at the end. I figured that would mess up the icing. I have a cake for next Sat, can't wait to try this!

Melvira Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 12:25am
post #172 of 205

Thanks Amy!! I am so glad to hear this!

Richard, I think somewhere in this post I was talking about how it happened... but essentially to the best of my recollection, I was using the wooden fondant roller and was torqued off about the little lines it left on top of the cake. So in my head I began to design the perfect tool and after a few minutes I realized that this tool existed, it just wasn't meant for cakes initially! So I went and bought one, and it worked great! It just goes to show... you never know until you try if something is sheer genius or complete lunacy! And don't worry, I have plenty of both!! icon_lol.gif

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 4:33am
post #173 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcturtleshell

Hey, I went to Lowe's today~ I found the edger thingy & a foam roller but I didn't found any roller holder thingys that would fit it. I guess they were out of them. Do you need a roller holder that doesn't have the white things at then end? I think I remember someone posting that. Can someone refresh my memory, thanks. The pic of the roller looks like it doesn't have the things at the end. I figured that would mess up the icing. I have a cake for next Sat, can't wait to try this!

From what I have found, you do not want the roller with the white plastic circles on the ends. The foam roller i picked up has rounded edges so there's only a small hole for the roller handle to slide into . . . so I have a roller handle with just the metal bar to go through. The ones with the big white plastic circles have much bigger openings for the roller to go into. Does that make sense?

tcturtleshell Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 4:39am
post #174 of 205

That's exactly what I figured, thanks~ I guess Lowe's was just out of them. I have to go back out tomorrow to get freezer paper so I'll go by Home Depot & check with them. Thanks!

cakesbykitty Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 6:35am
post #175 of 205

bought the foam paint roller tonight at wal-mart. they only had the 3 inch one... hope it will work!

Melvira Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 5:47pm
post #176 of 205

Gosh, I'm sorry TC, I think I missed your question!! The roller itself where the foam cover goes over it is only a single metal bar... it's not like a regular size paint roller that has several metal bars. Here... let me show you what it looks like without the foam!!

And the 3" will work... it just won't cover as much space... you'll have to take a few extra swipes. No worries!
LL

tcturtleshell Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 6:13pm
post #177 of 205

LOL, thanks Melvira! That's why I couldn't find it, I was looking for larger ones~ I saw the smaller ones but thought darn, I need the big one so it'll be quicker! LOL~ Thank you dear~ Your very helpful!

Melvira Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 6:23pm
post #178 of 205

It's my pleasure!! The one in the pic is the 6" roller. It's by far my favorite, especially if you do sheet cakes!

cakesbykitty Posted 29 Oct 2006 , 8:29pm
post #179 of 205

well, poo. i may just have to go to the hardware store and get the bigger one too! the small will be nice for small rounds, but the large one would be great for sheet cakes! we are currently in a blizzard here in Anchorage so it will have to wait till tomorrow! LOL

Melvira Posted 30 Oct 2006 , 12:46am
post #180 of 205

The small one is also great for sheet cakes or single layer cakes of any kind because they are a nice height for it! I bought the 6" and went back for the 2" for short cakes and small areas of shaped cakes. It's worth having both!! You didn't waste any money!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%