I Share Because I Care!

Decorating By Melvira Updated 13 Feb 2011 , 11:06pm by solascakes

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 1:35pm
post #31 of 205

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING A PICTURE!!!! I remember reading about using a paint roller and I went to home depot and stared at the paint rollers wondering what kind to get.... how long should it be? how wide? What brand? Maybe I'll have better luck next time!!

Another customer actually asked me what type of project I was doing and said he could help (I must have REALLY looked lost) - except when I told him it was for a cake..... LOL - he wasn't so sure about helping me then! icon_smile.gif Too funny icon_smile.gif

ChristaPaloma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristaPaloma Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 1:42pm
post #32 of 205

Thanks for sharing and caring, Melvira. This sounds like a great tip for the books... and

Quote:
Quote:

Happy Birthday!

krysoco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krysoco Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 1:42pm
post #33 of 205

Do you use this on BCI or Fondant? You said it had to be well-crusted so I'm assuming BCI. Or both? Thanks.

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 1:48pm
post #34 of 205

Wow what a fantastic idea thank you ever so much. I can just imagine what a cake supply store would charge for the same thing lol It costs about a dollar at the hardware store and would probably be closer to 10 at a decorator store. I always tell my dh that they are my tools just like he has his whenever he thinks something I buy is expensive. I tell him my cookie cutters are like his screwdrivers lol and my mixer is like his drill. So now he cant complain when I explained it to him this way. But maybe I'll start raiding his tool box to see what I can come up with lol.

4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4kids Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 2:05pm
post #35 of 205

Love this idea! Thanks for the tip.

(And to be thinking of your friends at CC on your birthday! What a Sweetie you are!)

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 2:27pm
post #36 of 205

Hey everybody!! I am going to try and answer all the questions I came across while reading through this morning...

Yes, this method was used on a lot of my cakes... all of them that were done since I found it anyway! icon_wink.gif You can probably tell the difference. Like I said, if there are little holes in it, you know it was B.R. (Before Roller!!) I think it's important to note that this is not a standard size paint roller... the roller itself is only about an inch in diameter. Not the great big wall painter. I think it's more of a detail and trim roller. I have not tried it on fondant, but I see no reason that it wouldn't work on that, unless the foam is just not stiff enough to smoosh the fondant down. As for crusting, I give it a good 15 minutes, depending on humidity, before I even get near it. For edible images which I LOVE to do, (so glad I invested in that little baby!) I keep a fine mist spray bottle full of clean water and after it is all rolled and smoothed, I give a quick spritz about a foot above the image and let just the smallest amount of fine mist float down to the cake top, then apply the image. It turns out perfectly every time! And this roller is SO perfect for smoothing OVER the edible image. Because it is foam it won't destroy the frosting sheet, so I can make sure there are no wrinkles, etc. in the image. I'm telling you, I can't say enough about this tool! I am sure some of you will try it and say, "Nah, the (insert method here) works better for me!" but like I said, if even one person adopts this method and it makes their cakes smoother and more beautiful, then it was worth sharing! icon_wink.gif

Why are you smoothing your cakes? icon_confused.gif The ones at the store don't look like that? icon_confused.gif Can you say, "DUH?!" I think he answered his own question just then! Bless the men that don't 'get it'. I don't get how they can sit and watch football for 12 hours in a row without moving, so I guess we're even. icon_razz.gif

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 3:21pm
post #37 of 205

FIRST OFF!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! party.gifparty.gifprincess.gifprincess.gif

I am so glad I read this thread! I use a small angled spatula to smooth my icing with a Viva of course. I do despise the lines the spatula leaves though!! I use the small angled spatula and a wide cookie spatula to do my sides and that works perfectly especially for getting straight edges.

I'm definately going to try this for the top at least. I have a cake to make today with an edible image and will be giving it a whirl! I'm going to pop down to the local Ace Hardware and buy me a couple of them thar buggars!!!

I especially love that you recommended it for smoothing down the icing image! I'm so excited to try this!!!! I'll be decorating the cake tomorrow so give me a day to post my opinions on the method!!!!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Thanks again for sharing!

Amy

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 3:30pm
post #38 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by daltonam

THAT TURKEY I LIVE WITH DOESN'T LIKE MY SMOOTH LOOKING CAKES icon_evil.gificon_mad.gif

Dalt You are TOOO funny!

Melvira: Thanks for the excellent tip.

ablksapphire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ablksapphire Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 3:42pm
post #39 of 205

You are incredibly awesome, I've learned so much in so little time. I just started my first decorating class and it will be awesome to know this little trick to smooth my bc...now it will look like I know what I'm doing! icon_surprised.gif Thanks for your genorosity...I can almost bet I'll be one of the people who adopts it for more beautiful cakes. thumbs_up.gif

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 3:46pm
post #40 of 205

Okay, now Melvira!!! Se what you started!!! Now we are all going to the hardware store!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

Thank you for being so kind and sharing your secret!!!!

I will go there myself too and get me one of those guys!

ShabbyChic_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 3:55pm
post #41 of 205

Thank you Melvira, you're not only funny but also clever!! icon_biggrin.gif

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 4:06pm
post #42 of 205

NEWS FLASH: Home Depot stock rapidly rising due to overwhelming paint roller sales!

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 4:25pm
post #43 of 205

Now, why didn't I think of that?
Thanks sooooooo mush for the tip!
I'm going to Lowes ( We don't have Home Depot in my immediate area yet) tomorow. I will invest in one of those.(maybe two).

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 21 Sep 2006 , 4:42pm
post #44 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChRiStY_71

NEWS FLASH: Home Depot stock rapidly rising due to overwhelming paint roller sales!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gifparty.gif

Melvira Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 1:47am
post #45 of 205

icon_twisted.gif *Melvira cackles loudly, throwing back her head, greedily rubbing her hands together* "And these nitwits have no idea that Lowe's paid me to lie about this paint roller! Bwahahahahaha!!! Oh... hi everyone... have you all gotten your new tool? I hear Lowe's is having a wonderful sale this week!"

icon_lol.gif

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 2:02am
post #46 of 205

Happy Birthday Melvira, and thanks for the tip. Gotta hit Home Depot this weekend!!

angief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angief Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 12:37pm
post #47 of 205

Melvira, you crack me up icon_razz.gif . Thanks for the tip. My husband is wanting to know why I am suddenly interested in hardware stores. icon_rolleyes.gif

crafty1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crafty1 Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 6:20pm
post #48 of 205

Melvira,

This is why I love this site soooo much!!! Its all the help, guidance and support that the wonderful members, like you, give to each other.

I have learned soooo much from this site in the last few months, that I am on my way of getting into business.

Thank you for the tip! I use the paper towel method, cuz it works for me. BUT, thanks to you, I can try something else and see which one works best.

Thank you for caring enough to share!!!

trish

carterl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carterl Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 6:45pm
post #49 of 205

Thank you Melvira,
Getting a smooth buttercream finish is probably number two on my list of the hardest things to achieve. Second only to being able to make a buttercream rose! I have tried everything from angled spatulas, parchment paper, warmed up spatulas, to paper towels and still could never get it as smooth and line-free as I'd like. I'm off to the Home Depot too!
I leave you with my small tip (which is probably common knowledge, but what the heck). Use corn husks (normally for the purpose of making tamales) to texture leaves, flowers, wood grain, etc. I've had so much fun using them.
God bless and thanks again for sharing. Laura

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 6:50pm
post #50 of 205

Corn husks are news to me! Thanks for the tip!

bayougrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bayougrl Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 11:28pm
post #51 of 205

That's it we just need to go ahead and open the cake depot!

good36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
good36 Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 2:03am
post #52 of 205

It works GREAT! I bought a roller yesterday for a cake I am making tonight. I frosted it, went out for dinner so it could crust over good and just used to roller. Oh My it works so easily and nice. THANK YOU Melvira
Judy

Melvira Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 2:56am
post #53 of 205

Ok, I am not kidding here, I am going to cry. The very first person who said they tried it also says it works. I am SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW!! I was so worried that I was so weird that it would work for me but would be a disaster for everyone else!! icon_lol.gif You just made my day Judy!! I hope it works for lots of people because then I will feel as though I have really done a good thing here!! Wait a minute... icon_confused.gif Are any of you located close to me? icon_surprised.gif Oh NO!! I gave away my secret to the competition!!! icon_cry.gif Oh, I'm just teasing! Even if one of you were, it wouldn't bother me!! icon_wink.gif

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 3:01am
post #54 of 205

thanks for sharing!!

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 6:14am
post #55 of 205

Try to find one in hot pink, or paint it, or do something to identify YOUR tools! I can't tell you how much $$$ has been spent re-buying tools because HE thinks he can use them on the trucks, trains, and automobiles, stick them in his toolbox, and I will just have to do without. MEN! Yeah, pink tools with bows and ribbons and lace outta do it... Can Cake Depot carry men-proof tools?

good36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
good36 Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 12:45pm
post #56 of 205

I am glad you are happy Melvia, because I am too! I have my first two wedding cakes next week and I was getting a little nervous about smooth frosting. Not an more, you made it easy.
thanks again
Judy

Melvira Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 2:44pm
post #57 of 205

Zmama you are onto something! I have always thought they should have a line of tool in designer colors for women. Men don't care if their tools are black, blue, or even bright yellow, but women need something classy and stylish, right? Hahahaha! Ok, we might not be THAT bad, but like you mentioned, that might keep their grubby little pans off of it!! icon_lol.gif

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 3:08pm
post #58 of 205

Am I so glad to have found this thread!!!!!

Thanks so much for sharing, I'm off to the hardware store right now!!!

icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

donnajf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnajf Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 4:50pm
post #59 of 205

GET OUT! icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif

I use that thing when I do my house painting ( I'm the painter in my house). Who would of thought that brush would work on BC!

Thnx 4 SHARING thumbs_up.gif

fabbo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabbo Posted 23 Sep 2006 , 7:12pm
post #60 of 205

Thanks for the info Melvira ( Happy Belated Birthday too!) I 've already got a wood grainer,plaster scraper, and craft stencils to use on my cakes. I've got to go to the store and check out all the paint supplies for other uses now!!

Cartel- Thanks for the tip about corn husks. I've haven't heard of that.

Fabbo

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%