No More Cakes For Me :-(

Decorating By JoanneK Updated 20 Sep 2006 , 12:36pm by da_goof

TandTHarrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TandTHarrell Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 12:25pm
post #121 of 198

OK I HAVE SEEN THIS POST AND THIS IS MY 1ST TIME READING IT.... YOUR SISTER IS A HATER. LET ME SAY IT AGAIN A HATER..YOUR CAKES ARE REALLY NICE I WISH MY CAKES LOOK THAT NICE AND NEAT...KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 12:31pm
post #122 of 198

OK, I went in to look at your photos. I understand the fear that people are just being nice with their compliments. HEY! My cakes should look so good. YOUR GOOD!!! You can tell your sister, "thank you for your constructive criticism, I'll that it under advisement" and go on your own way. Make, and decorate to your hearts content. Congratulations on your first paid cake.

mlynnb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlynnb Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 12:31pm
post #123 of 198

I too, looked at your cakes, and can I just say, they look really great! I have been trying to master a present cake for months (that darn lid keeps messing me up!) and I'm also dying to do a purse cake similar to your make-up bag. They are both really, really good! Please don't give up, you have to have more faith in yourself!!! BTW, my son loved the airplane cake!!!!

bohemia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bohemia Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 12:38pm
post #124 of 198

First of all, You can never please EVERYONE!

I seriously hope that you're sister just has bad taste becuase if she really meant what she said then it just means that she is so INSECURE about something in her life that she has to take it out on someones happiness!

Your cakes are great! but that's not the point....you obviously enjoy Cake and everyhting about cake! like all of us here at CC. You should only quit if you seriously want to. And hey, everyone is hard on themselves and their CREATIONS...that's the way we get better...to look at the stuff that could be improved..no matter how small a detail it is.

I seriously would just pray for your sister and hope that she works out whatever is making her into a Hateful hateful petty little thing!

As for you...keep on decorating! It's hella fun ain't it?

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 1:21pm
post #125 of 198

The first thing you should ask yourself is if you enjoy making cakes, if you do you shouldn't quit no matter how well you do at it. Before anything this is a hobby and you pick something you enjoy and do it.
Your airplane is really cute so why your sister said it wasn't is a mystery. I'm sure that all the kids at the party loved it and the parents were probably pretty impressed. The cupcakes are cute, kids love the little toys and stuff.
I like to take pictures of my cakes if I'm not happy with them, for some reason I get a better perspective of the whole cake than when I'm looking at each detail. I'm never completely happy with my cakes, I see each little flaw or something I should have done differently.

Now about your sister, she's either trying to be mean or she's got some other issues, possibly about seeming to know everything. My MIL is like that, she's always giving me "great" cake ideas, telling me I should do something differently or telling me I shouldn't do something because it won't work, the woman has never decorated in her life. Do what I do and work your hardest to show her how wrong she is. I recently took great pleasure in telling my MIL that my first wedding cake travel 300 miles (while stacked) and needed no repair because she had told me that I should just make sheet cakes since there was no way I'd get the cake down there. I also just ignore much of what she says and she's getting to where she won't say too much now, if you ignore your sister she'll back off.
If the people who bought the cake didn't ask for their money back I would assume that they were happy with it, I would have been if I had been buying it. I know it's hard to believe that people would pay for your work, I've only sold a couple and each time I'm slightly astonished that they'll pay for it. Read the posts about customers deciding that they don't like the cake, it seems that most people would tell you that they thought you were ripping them off if they didn't.

Don't make your sister a cake, she's not worth turning your oven on for.

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 2:54pm
post #126 of 198

Wow!!! Look at how this post has grown in a day!!!!

This is my first time reading and I think your cakes are awesome!!!!!

I would definitely be happy with it..........now off to read some more posts, lol!!

PLEASE don't get rid of your cake things, if you love doing this, keep doing it!!!!!!!

Ishie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ishie Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 3:12pm
post #127 of 198

I just read your post. You don't know me from Adam and I hate to judge your sister like this but....

she must be awfully jealeus icon_evil.gif of you! Your cakes are WONDERFUL icon_biggrin.gif and anyone would be MORE than satisfied with them.

She is playing on your self doubt. Don't let her ruin your fun and obvious talent!!
Keep doing cakes. You are truely good! I wouldn't say so if I didn't mean it!!
Please PLEASE don't quit!!!!

PerryStCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PerryStCakes Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 3:12pm
post #128 of 198

Joanne -

I know how you feel. My mother gets critical of me sometimes (and she is my assistant, to boot!). She is an accomplished chef who graduated from the French Culinary school. I hate it when she points out errors and and questions my choices in butter, vanilla, etc. She gets annoyed at the way I schedule things too. But at the end of the day, I know I enjoy this and I try to take her comments as constructive.

I respect her opinion and ask her to tell me what she thinks in a constructive manner - not critical manner. I tell her it is not helpful to say things like "I don't know why you are doing that".

Perhaps you can ask your sister to either keep her comments to herself, or see if she would be willing to give you contrustive critizism, not just put you down.

But do not give up - you have done some very impressive things that are difficult to master - especially that Silvester & Tweedy - my goodness - that is very hard to do. And Colette isn't all that, by the way - so don't worry about the "great ones" (I've met her a few times now). The greats were not so great when they first started....

Chin up. We love you and are here for you!

XOXO
Debbie
Perry Street Cakes

debbie2881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbie2881 Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 3:13pm
post #129 of 198

i cant believe you sister would say such things. a sister is supposed to be supportive. i think your cakes are really good, i would be more than happy to receive one of those. i am no where near as good as you and i dont think my cakes are ugly or bad. look at all the support you have on here, just take a few minutes and read all the feedback on you cake pics. no one on here would lie to you. i say keep doing what you are doing and she's just jealous.

ch0psuey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ch0psuey Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 3:21pm
post #130 of 198

You said, "...I love making these cakes and it's been so fun joining in groups, taking classes and meeting new friends..."

That is enough of a reason to keep going.

Another reason: Your cakes are AWESOME! I'm jealous of your work!

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 3:21pm
post #131 of 198

I am not reading any threads just yet but had to post this for you......Do Not listen to your sister. She is sooooo jealous of your tallent and will do any thing to make you feel bad about yourself. Too true. She probably can't even ice her fingure correctly let alone ice a cake. I have seen this happen lots of time. DO NOT QUIT your are so much better than her. You at least try and not condem. Unlike her.

flavacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flavacakes Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 3:24pm
post #132 of 198

O.K. I take the part back about making her a birthday cake. Stop making cakes for her only. Make them for everyone else in your family (and customers) and never her. When she asks you why you don't make cakes for her just tell her that she said she didn't like your cakes so you stopped making them for her and leave it at that. You do need to distance yourself from her. All she does is bring you down. She is completely nuts and 100% plain jealous.

sueco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sueco Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 3:30pm
post #133 of 198

Didn't read all the posts about your cakes which, by the way, are BEAUTIFUL!, so I don't know if someone already may have suggested this, but I think for your sisters birthday instead of making her a carrot cake, you should make her a green-eyed monster cake. If she asks what it means, tell her! Your cake decorating is great, and you should be very proud of your talent. Remember,
"You can pick your friends, you can pick your nose, you can pick your friend's nose, but you can't pick your relatives". (And some relatives just turn out to be big boogers.)

CarolinaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolinaBelle Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 3:30pm
post #134 of 198

Hi.
I just looked at the pictures of your cakes and they are wonderful!! You are very talented and don't ever let anyone convince you otherwise.
Your sister is just jealous and very rude in her comments to you.

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 3:31pm
post #135 of 198

First - your cakes are great. I love the airplane one.
Second - Your sister is upset that she isn't in the spotlight and is trying to make you feel negative about what you are doing.
Third - QUIT TELLING HER IF YOU THINK BADLY ABOUT A CAKE. She will only use that to make you doubt yourself.
Don't stop making cakes, stop listening to her.

jennifer293 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer293 Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 3:33pm
post #136 of 198

Your momma should have named your sister " JEALOUSY", she is just upset because you have a god given talent that she obviously does not have and wants very bad.

It is OK for us to be critical of ourselves. I am guilty of it as well and I too have a sister who does the same thing to me. Only I am not as nice to say "you hurt my feelings"...I tell her where she can stick it!!!

You do great work and you should continue...I vowed just yesterday that I will never do wedding cakes again because they are too stressful, but I will continue to make other cakes... icon_lol.gif

jcg42002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcg42002 Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 3:34pm
post #137 of 198

You have got to be kidding. You are SO talented. She's obviously jealous.

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 3:40pm
post #138 of 198

Oh my GOSH! icon_surprised.gif Is your sister BLIND?!
Your cake are very good...even your Wilton learning cakes are 10 times better than grocery bakeries! thumbs_up.gif
Please take all the encouragement here, put it in a big pile, step up on it and rise above anything your mean spirited sister says!

donnajf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnajf Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 3:49pm
post #139 of 198

JoanneK

Your so called sister is just trying to discourage you b/c of her lack of TALENT! icon_evil.gificon_evil.gificon_evil.gif

I am AMAZED that people (even at times your own kin) can be SO HORRIBLE! Reading your words I can honestly say that I feel your pain.
I (we) hope all will use your words as encouragement & as reminders that NOT EVERYONE carries our passion and desire for C/D....it's OK
Praise the critics -USE THESE nee sayers 2 fuel your fire for your passion.

Your cakes are fantistic! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

IF YOU QUIT - YOU WILL BE PROVING HER WRIGHT! ...PLEASE DO NOT QUIT!

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 3:55pm
post #140 of 198

Hold it right there sister!!! NO WAY!!! You are not and should not sell your stuff or stop making cakes. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! My jaw dropped, i can't believe your sister is acting this way. Sorry it's your sister but is she 13?! I guess in a way i'm not surprised cause seriously i think we share the same sister. My sister likes to ALWAYS criticize anything i do. When it comes to cakes she'll have her say, but guess what?! i'm the one making them, not her. Same goes for your sister. I always tell my sister, if it makes you feel better to put me down, then go right ahead. Cause it seems like this is the only way she knows how to boost her self esteem. sad, sad, sad. i can totally take criticizim (ok i know i spelled that wrong). And i can handle when someone tells me, this is wrong or right or maybe try this or that. BUT don't do it when you have NO CLUE what you are talking about. I have been making cakes for my family mostly and FREE! so they better keep their comments to themselves, when they start paying then they got the right to talk.
I absolutely agree, she is just jealous.
I started doing cakes just about a year ago, and i can honestly say i'm still learning and trying new things. I know this and i point it out w/out a problem. But that's not your case, your cakes are great!!! GREAT!!!!!
ok my blood is boiling now too... icon_evil.gif
I don't know what else to say, but i'd like to give your sister a swift kick. icon_twisted.gif

KatieTaylor77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieTaylor77 Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 4:03pm
post #141 of 198

Where in Ca are you??? What if I want to buy one of your cakes???

Besides all the gobbledy-gook about self-confidence and your bratty sister . . . the fact that you like baking and decorating cakes as a hobby means you shouldn't give it up!!! Why on earth would you ever let someone ruin your fun like this???

I have an aunt who praises her kids (ages 30, 28 and 26) like they are the best kids ever, the most angelic, the most successful, etc. My mom feels like crap sometimes because no matter what my brother and I accomplish my Aunt still acts like my mom was never a good enough mom, etc. Well, you know what? My brother and I don't have to hide anything from our parents to pretend to be perfect . . . and we love our parents and are a really close family . . . . and even though I'm not perfect, my family appreciates everything I do for them--ugly cakes included--because its something I do from my heart. You need someone to appreciate your talent and your generosity!!!

I think your cakes are incredile and I am very serious -- Where are you in CA???? I'm putting in an order darnit!!!

megal80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megal80 Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 5:40pm
post #142 of 198

Please point out her age and wrinkles and every imperfection of hers at her birthday party...you know she already thinks that about herself! I am not a confrontational person, but she needs a slap in the face!!! Seriously! All the time and effort and heart you put into your cakes ~ shows in your cakes...if she can't see that she is blind!
I suggest making an ugly blind troll cake for her! But then again...who say's trolls are that mean!

Meeka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meeka Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 5:55pm
post #143 of 198

Girl tell your sister to stop drinking that HATER-AIDE!!!! She's hating on you!
Dont' give up on the cakes, I looked at them I think they are great!! Everytime I do a cake I doubt myself, for some peole that's normal but I make it through and so do you!!! Tell her she don't buy, taste, smell, or look at your cakes with a smile of course.

Wandootie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wandootie Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 6:00pm
post #144 of 198

Jealous, jealous, jealous! I tryly believe this is what it boils down to. Don't ever stop making cakes because obviously it makes you happy and the more you do the better you get. I see NOTHING wrong with your cakes...they are beautiful. I've only been doing cakes for 1 1/2 year and I find that I get a little better every week...it just comes easier or something.

Anyway, just ignore her and keep doing what makes you happy and what makes you money. If your customers like your cakes, well, then that is all that matters. Keep your chin up, girl!

Wanda

goodcakefairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodcakefairy Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 6:48pm
post #145 of 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanneK

My sister said that is why I should trust her. She will tell me the truth when others won't. She said she knows most people would feel the same way about my cakes but they would never have the nerve to say so.

Joanne

Yeah, um, not to dogpile on your sister, but that statement is the trademarked quote of people who are deliberately hurting others. And that crud about giving away cakes for a few years can be translated into "I still want free cake when your gift is useful to me"

Don't listen to her. Your work is great!

Perfect? No, but none of us are! It's creative and you have a great eye for color. You're still learning, we all are.

tiersfromheaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiersfromheaven Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 7:55pm
post #146 of 198

This has to be the most blantant case of jeaolusy I have ever heard of! I would love to have your talent!! DO NOT STOP DECORATING!! Something tells me your sister would great joy from hearing you have given up something you are so obviously good at!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 8:10pm
post #147 of 198

Your sister is a jealous,green with envy person..I'm sorry but if one of my siblings every said that I would tell them to %#*& OFF!! You do fabulous cakes and I am appalled that she would be so rude.Don't you dare quit!!

angief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angief Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 8:20pm
post #148 of 198

I didn't read through all the post because OMG icon_surprised.gif there are sooo many. I hope you can tell by all the responses that everyone thinks your cake look great and that you shouldn't give up. I am pretty sure that everyone here at CC knows a LOT more about cakes and decorating than your sister and we all think that you are pretty great! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Keep up the great work and I look forward to seeing pictures of all your cakes to come! icon_lol.gificon_smile.gif

nanni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanni Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 8:33pm
post #149 of 198

Your sister must be a friend of mine-she told me the same thing one day (she didn't know I was coming in her office when she called her mom and made a hurtful comment)-and I posted it here-and you will have all the support you need and honesty here on this post-LISTEN TO IT!!! Do not give up!! You do GREAT work and you have a talent!!! While we are our own worst critics-others take it a step further and feel they are doing us a favor by being "honest"-take the comments for what they are worth from the deliverer-hang in there, give yourself a big hug-you deserve it!!!

malika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malika Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 8:36pm
post #150 of 198

If you do make the carrot cake for your sister, you should definitely decorate it. Show her she can't stop you. Don't give up!
And by the way, I think she's jealous that you have talent.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%