Help With 3D Spiderman Cake

Decorating By melissablack Updated 12 Feb 2005 , 10:01pm by melissablack

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 12 Jan 2005 , 9:35pm
post #1 of 9

Hi there,

Has anyone made a 3D spiderman cake, his head and shoulders? I heard of someone making this cake, using a styrafoam egg for the head, and cake for the shoulder part. I am wanting to make this cake for my son's birthday next month and would love some pictures & instructions if anyone can help! Thanks.

Melissa

8 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 13 Jan 2005 , 3:47am
post #2 of 9

Hi Melissa,

I'm not sure if you emailed me or not...the name looks familiar but I have a 3D Spiderman cake picture for you and if I already sent it and it's not what you want..just ignore this post.Otherwise email me at: [email protected]

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 13 Jan 2005 , 12:14pm
post #3 of 9

hi,
i made a spiderman cake, but it was from the wilton character pan. i think kids love a 3d cake more.
i would love to see pictures of that cake when your done!!!
diane

melissablack Posted 13 Jan 2005 , 3:54pm
post #4 of 9

I'll be sure to post a pic when my cake is done ! The party is not for another month, I'm just trying to get started planning. Thanks for your interest!

Melissa

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 13 Jan 2005 , 4:45pm
post #5 of 9

Hi Melissa,

I found the 3D Spiderman with the head.It was done by Chris F on the TCB site.Email me and I will send it!!

[email protected]

Laurel

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 18 Jan 2005 , 7:13am
post #6 of 9

Hi there. Just wanted to add this. I made this cake and tried to make it using the egg pan for the head. I levelled the bottom, I dowelled the two halves of the egg cake together, horizontally, used a good icing to make sure the two halves would stay together, boarded the egg head, dowelled the cake well underneath, used a centre dowel one on either half of the egg going through to the board and as soon as I put it together I could see the vertical seam was going to come apart and split. So my advice to you would be to use a styrofoam egg or a wig head covered with icing as the head. And use a centre dowel through the head and into the bottom layer cakes.
Incidentally I used 2, 10 inch by 3 inch deep rounds to make the cake base. I used one 6 inch, 3 inch deep round cake cut in half down the centre for the shoulders. You could use the 2 inch deep pans instead, but the round dimensions are what you will need. Most folks use the 2 inch deep pans. So with each half up against the 10 inch round double layer cake, you are going to measure for the height and cut off the bottoms so that each shoulder is the same height as the centre cakes. Now you are going to put icing on these to adhere them to your round cakes. I found that I also needed to pipe icing into the crack where the shoulders met the round cake. You can either ice your round cakes completely, then add the shoulders and ice them, or just use icing on the inside where the shoulders will meet butt up against the rounds and then proceed to ice the whole thing at once.
Double board at least for this cake as it is quite heavy. Also, you will need about 1.5 to 2 jars of red to get your red icing. If you have any other questions I can help you with, please post.
Just wanted to mention that because I didn't trust the egg head that I had made our of cake, I instead used half an egg pan cake and lay it flat on top of the centre of the round cakes.
Hugs SquirrellyCakes

melissablack Posted 18 Jan 2005 , 10:30pm
post #7 of 9

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me! I really appreciate it. I am so excited to try the cake! I'm going to do the one with the styrofoam egg head. My son's birthday is not for another month, but I will be sure to post a picture when I've made it.

Melissa

cakecravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecravings Posted 12 Feb 2005 , 9:51pm
post #8 of 9

I recently did a 3D Spiderman for my son's birthday. I used a styrofoam wig former for the head. Happy to send you a pic if you'd like to see it. Email me at [email protected] and I'll send it to you.

melissablack Posted 12 Feb 2005 , 10:01pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks! I e-mailed you!
Melissa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%