Sarah's Red Velvet Cake - Questions

Decorating By riveritaly Updated 19 Oct 2007 , 6:44pm by MissPrettyInPink

riveritaly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
riveritaly Posted 22 Jun 2007 , 8:23pm
post #1 of 13

I have a customer asking for a red velvet cake, covered in fondant. I do not have extensive experience with either red velvet cakes or fondant, so I am asking for your advice! First off, how is the Sarah's Red Velvet cake recipe? I've made other recipes in the past and they have turned out too dry or too oily. Also, I know she suggests the Mary Kay icing, however, I am almost positive the customer will request cream cheese. Can I refrigerate a fondant covered cake if I use the cream cheese icing? I didn't think so, but I wasn't for sure. Also, if I can convince the customer to use Mary Kay icing under the fondant, can that sit out from Thursday through Saturday not being refrigerated?

Help!

Thanks so much!

12 replies
riveritaly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
riveritaly Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 5:08am
post #2 of 13

bump?

sugarshane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshane Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 11:18am
post #3 of 13

I make Sarah's recipe all the time. In fact I have a customer who buys one every week. I found that by mixing the milk, eggs, cocoa, coloring and the mix first, then I melt the butter to mix it in it works better. Then I add the vinagar and soda. I always use cc frosting (I live in the south). I don't know how it will work with fondant though.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 1:55pm
post #4 of 13

I just did an 8-tier bridal cake all in Sarah's Red Velvet with Earlene Moore's Cream Cheese Buttercream and covered in Satin Ice fondant (20 pounds!).

The recipe is excellent. It rises uniformly, it doesn't create a big crown, it's moist and it bakes very evenly. There is very little waste to trim off. I cut the amount of food color in half and it was still a vibrant red. That's really the only tweak I made to the recipe. It is very important to cream the butter and sugar together for 8 minutes or so.

The cream cheese buttercream does not need to be refrigerated because the sugar acts as a preservative. It is safe for 3 days or so at room temp.

Sugarshane, Sarah's Red Velvet recipe does not call for vinegar because the acidity required for this cake is found in the buttermilk.

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 11:07pm
post #5 of 13

I love the taste of that Mary Kay icing. I use a similar recipe (called Waldorf Astoria icing), and it goes really well with red velvet cakes. It is buttery but not sweet.

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 8:07am
post #6 of 13

i like sarahs rv recipe, I thingk it bakes evenly and can stan up to fondant well.

I just wanted to point out that the acidity is in buttermilk but most rv cake recipes have soda, vinegar and buttermilk

I even saw one that had baking powder, soda, vinegar and buttermilk

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 3:56pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilthorner

I just wanted to point out that the acidity is in buttermilk but most rv cake recipes have soda, vinegar and buttermilk.

True, but not Sarah's recipe. icon_smile.gif I'm not sure why hers omits the vinegar, but it creates a great product nonetheless.

Joanie4464 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanie4464 Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 5:17pm
post #8 of 13

Hi,.
Recently I did a wedding cake with the Sarah's RV recipe and had very good results. Before hand I did a taste test......used a DH RV mix and doctored it up as I usually do and then gave samples of the Sarah's (number 1) and the doctored DH as (number 2) All of the samplers chose the Sarah's recipe and raved about it's moistness and texture. I used a raspberry mousse filling with a buttercream frosting! mmmmmm Joanie

CherryBomb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CherryBomb Posted 24 Jun 2007 , 10:33pm
post #9 of 13

I just had a request for red velvet cake too. I was thinking that it might be good with white chocolate butter cream. Anyone tried it?

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 12:28am
post #10 of 13

I've tried SEVERAL RV recipes and Sarah's is by far the BEST! It's delicious, bakes so nice and even (no dome) and customers have raved about it! I just had a bride tell me she wanted a white wedding cake, but once she tried the RV, changed her ENTIRE order to RV! It's truly wonderful!

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 12:58am
post #11 of 13

Just by chance I was in the forum today, and you all do not know how much the compliments about my RVC have made my day icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif pardon while I cry icon_cry.gif don't worry it's just b/c I was having a not so good day (you can read all about it in my vent in the general forum) but you all made it so much better w/ the feedback thumbs_up.gif Thank you!

I'm glad you all (and the customers) have enjoyed it as much as I do - even though I no longer eat cakes b/c I've lost my sweet tooth...I can manage a piece of RVC any day!

korid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korid Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 1:15am
post #12 of 13

I have to say that Sarah's Red Velvet Cake is the absolute BEST Red velvet cake. I too have made lots of red velvet cakes and this is by far the best! I have used cream cheese frosting, buttercream and fondant with this cake and it has always been delicious and always held up for me. Thank you newlywedws for sharing this recipe. I bet the white chocolate buttercream would be delicious also.

MissPrettyInPink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissPrettyInPink Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 6:44pm
post #13 of 13

i'm doing a wedding cake and already had one tasting with a red velvet cake. both the customer and i thought it was a lot like corn bread. i've been searching for a good recipie and it sounds like this one is pretty good! i'm just gonna have to try it

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%