What Do You Cover Your Cake Boards With?

Decorating By tcturtleshell Updated 22 May 2005 , 11:31am by FUNKY_CAKES

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 21 May 2005 , 5:15am
post #1 of 16

Hey!

I'm very bored w/ using silver paper or tinfoil to cover cake boards with. I'm looking for other ways to cover the boards. So please help me out & tell me what you guys use.

I want to use wrapping paper but I know it will just absorb the oil from the cake & icing, also stick to the cake. I wouldn't want people to be eating paper. Is there something I can cover wrapping paper with & use it?

Thanks for everyone's in put! I hope this will be a good post~

15 replies
heartsfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsfire Posted 21 May 2005 , 5:45am
post #2 of 16

I have used the wrapping paper before. I buy holographic paper from my daughter's school fund raiser every year and I love it. I was also afraid it would bleed through and disolve so I tried something different.

I used a cake board that was the actual size of the cake to put the cake on and decorate. I then took a cake board that was larger and wrapped it with the wrapping paper. I put some royal icing in between the 2 cake boards and set on on top of the other. You could actually use glue as long as you are careful. No one could see the cake board that the cake was acually sitting on - only the one that was wrapped.

I have not tried to just place it on the paper directly. I have also done this with fabric and with this I used glue in small amounts...I wasn't sure the royal icing would work. It is all a matter of trial and error and I love eating my errors.

heartsfire

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 21 May 2005 , 5:56am
post #3 of 16

Cover the wrapping paper with cellophane! thumbs_up.gif I started doing this recently, using bright colored tissue paper first, then the cellophane. I've even been able to reuse cake boards, since none of the grease goes through.

Melissa icon_smile.gif

cindycakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindycakes2 Posted 21 May 2005 , 6:21am
post #4 of 16

I use a lot of contact paper (like you would buy for your cabinet shelves). The rolls come in lots of patterns and you can get them very reasonably by checking out the Dollar Tree, Dollar Store, or Big Lots. VEry easy to cover the boards and no problem with moisture from cake leaking through to board.

blessBeckysbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessBeckysbaking Posted 21 May 2005 , 8:47am
post #5 of 16

I use contact paper I love it many prints and solid colors to pic from and you cut to fit pull the backing off lay flat lay board onit and seal and your board is ready to go I do wipe it down with a hot wet rag dry add cake.

blessBeckysbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessBeckysbaking Posted 21 May 2005 , 8:48am
post #6 of 16

oh like to add they do have a clear yoou can put over the wraping paper

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 21 May 2005 , 12:24pm
post #7 of 16

I've been using florist's polyfoil that I was able to get on eBay, it is foil with a plastic backing that makes it stronger, and it comes in many colors!
I see that one person I got it from is still selling it in lots of 10 sheets, sheets are I think 20" x 24", and I got some rolls from a florist going out of business, also on eBay. I think I've got enough to last me until 2010! I've also purchased some clear contact paper to use with gift wrap. veejay

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 21 May 2005 , 12:34pm
post #8 of 16

Get some clear contact paper Tina! I highly recommend it. Cover your boards first in the wrapping paper that you want, and then cover the board with the clear contact paper. The contact paper is so durable, you will see the knife lines on it, but it won't cut through. If you look in my photos (link on the bottom of my post) the pictures that have the purple cornelli lace with the floral print cake boards, are gift wrapped and then covered in clear contact paper.
You can find it at Walmart, Kmart, or Target. Maybe even Menard's, Home Depot, or Lowe's.

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 21 May 2005 , 3:23pm
post #9 of 16

What section do you find contact paper in? Wallpaper? I looked at Home Depot the other night and they didn't have any.

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 21 May 2005 , 3:28pm
post #10 of 16

I use freezer paper, shiny side up......the grease doesn't absorb and it's white so it goes with everything and it doesn't crinkle up like foil.

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 21 May 2005 , 3:51pm
post #11 of 16

This is what I cover my cake boards with. I've purchased these foils plus numerous other item from this seller. Everything is wonderful and I highly recommend this seller. I just recently purchased 2 of each 27 different colors of foil for $40. I've also purchased petal dusts which are fantastic!!!

Amy

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3097&item=8174777594&tc=photo

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 21 May 2005 , 3:57pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissablack

What section do you find contact paper in? Wallpaper? I looked at Home Depot the other night and they didn't have any.

Well, at Walmart, it's usually in the home goods area where you find pots and pans, or sometimes its in the aisle that has dishpans and dishdrainers.

Annalisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annalisa Posted 22 May 2005 , 4:24am
post #13 of 16

If I'm making a very special cake I cover the board in fondount a lighter coloured shade than the cake, but it can get expensive, but I think it looks great.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 22 May 2005 , 4:51am
post #14 of 16

You can get the contact papers/plastics at dollar type stores a lot cheaper than at Walmart and such. I use washed and dried fabric and some wrapping papers and purchase foils at Christmas when they are on sale. Many folks use the florist foil.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 22 May 2005 , 6:50am
post #15 of 16

Thank you wonderful folks for answering this post!! I can go out & shop for paper & contact paper before I do my cakes (after I pick out what colors I'll be using for my cake). I'm doing a Hawiian totem pole cake Tues. I went to Party Central(something like that, I can't remember the name LOL!!) last week & saw these large rolls of celephane & contact paper. I think I'll go back there & get some. I'll also check out the wrapping paper!

If anyone has any other tips post them! Thanks!

Wonderful tips!! Thanks SO much!

Have a wonderful weekend~

FUNKY_CAKES Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FUNKY_CAKES Posted 22 May 2005 , 11:31am
post #16 of 16

Hi Girls...and Boys. I am starved for suplies in my city so I get off cuts of ply board from a local carpenter. I then cover them with a heavy duty contact in silver. They are so durable that they can be washed and still look nice. People are happy to return them. I also find they are very cost effective and you always have a supply of different shaped boards that look nice and are cheap to make.
Julie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%