Help: Laying Fondant On A Cake

Decorating By MacsMom Updated 23 May 2007 , 7:46pm by missym

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 17 May 2007 , 10:29pm
post #1 of 13

I've only made 3 cakes with fondant (MMF) and I can't seem to get the sides to lay smooth - I always resort to cutting a fold and then covering it with a design icon_confused.gif

Is it because the fondant isn't soft enough? Too dry? Too thick?

I definately need more experience before I can sell a cake!

Thanks,
Stacie

12 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 17 May 2007 , 10:59pm
post #2 of 13

There is a good video at atecousa.com

MacsMom Posted 18 May 2007 , 2:48pm
post #3 of 13

Thanks! I've seen this video before and that's how I have tried to do it. AFetr watching the video again it's obvious now that my MMF is just too tough. I either have to knead it more or add less powdered sugar.

Practice, practice, practice...

icon_biggrin.gif Stacie

alibugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alibugs Posted 18 May 2007 , 3:04pm
post #4 of 13

don't push down the fondant. Just smooth it. If it starts to wrinkle or crease, pick it up and try again. Make sure you don't have a lot of fondant hanging around the bottom. It makes it a little harder to smooth. hth

momof5kiki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof5kiki Posted 18 May 2007 , 3:12pm
post #5 of 13

what MMF recipe are you using? I found that Rhonda's MMF recipe is wayyyyyy better then regular MMF, way more pliable, and sooo much softer.

sweetviolent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolent Posted 18 May 2007 , 3:21pm
post #6 of 13

could you provide the link for rhondas?? I can't seem to find it icon_smile.gif thanks

AmyBeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyBeth Posted 18 May 2007 , 3:31pm
post #7 of 13

I played around on mess up cakes until I got the fondant thing down. You can elevate it and cover it or you can leave the cake on a surface.
You have to make sure that your fondant is not too thick or too thin, and it can't be too dry.
There are so many factors. You just have to keep practicing until you get it right!

MacsMom Posted 18 May 2007 , 10:11pm
post #8 of 13

I use the standard MMF recipe: 16oz MM, 2 T water, 1 t extract, 2 lbs powdered sugar.

I'll search for Rhonda's MMF. I've tried elevating, too. I guess I just need to keep playing!

Thanks!

Stacie

AmyBeth Posted 18 May 2007 , 11:31pm
post #9 of 13

I use A LOT more liquid than you do. I use 3 TBSP of water and 1 TBSP of flavoring and 1/2 TBSP of glycerin. I add powdered sugar until it is soft and pliable and no longer sticky. It usually is somewhere around 2 lbs depending on weather.

MacsMom Posted 18 May 2007 , 11:50pm
post #10 of 13

AHA!! Thanks for the recipe! I do have glycerin, yay! A friend of mine added corn syrup but it didn't change the MMF much...

Stacie

AmyBeth Posted 19 May 2007 , 12:20am
post #11 of 13

I just found that the other recipe was way too dry for me. This stuff works well!

MacsMom Posted 23 May 2007 , 7:28pm
post #12 of 13

Thanks AmyBeth, that MMF recipe worked perfectly! I had more air bubbles than normal, but I'm sure I'll figure that one out...

Stacie

missym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missym Posted 23 May 2007 , 7:46pm
post #13 of 13

So, what does the glycerin do for the MMF? I've only covered one cake with MMF and I'm thinking of using it for the wedding cake I'm doing this weeked. The bride has left it up to me (YIKES).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%