Ladybug Party

Decorating By lwatt19 Updated 17 Aug 2007 , 12:13pm by cupcakes

lwatt19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lwatt19 Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 3:29am
post #1 of 33

Hi Everyone - I am new. My daughter's first birthday is coming soon and my son gave me the idea of having a Ladybug party. I wanted to know what you all think of this idea:

A giant leaf cake with a ladybug on it. The ladybug would be her smash cake and the leaf would feed the crowd.

Please let me know what you think. I plan to do it with fondant. I have only made fondant roses before, never covered a whole cake. Any tips are appreciated. If you have done a similar cake and wish to share pics, I appreciated that too.

Thanks!

32 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 3:33am
post #2 of 33

sounds very cute.... and you'd better have pics to share.

and don't fear fondant....just edible play-doh!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 10:17am
post #3 of 33

That does sound adoreable.

You can take some fondant and practice applying it with an inverted cake pan. Just make sure the back of the pan is very clean before you apply it, so you can reuse it later.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

BabyC1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyC1985 Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 10:58am
post #4 of 33

That sounds lovely. Cant wait to see the pictures. Have fun and good luck

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 11:29am
post #5 of 33

Sounds adorable! Here is a tutorial for covering cake with fondant, I used this video a lot when I was first learning icon_smile.gif
http://atecousa.net//learn/

carrielynnfields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carrielynnfields Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 11:38am
post #6 of 33

Oh that sounds too cute! I can't wait to see the pics. As playingwithsugar stated practice on a very clean pan covering it with fondant and you will be a champ in no time! Tell your son he had a great idea and pat yourself on the back for a fantastic design for the cake!

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 11:40am
post #7 of 33

Delightful idea. Do watch the atecousa video, it's very helpful. Have lots of fun and post pictures.

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 11:41am
post #8 of 33

What a great idea....
there's a song from Sesame Street called "Ladybug Picnic".

The cake idea is very clever...can't wait to see pictures!

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 11:45am
post #9 of 33

Make sure you post your final design! My daughter's softball team is the Ladybugs. I'd love to see your ideas.

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 3:30pm
post #10 of 33

that sounds really cute! I think there are several lady bug pictures in the forum that you could look at for inspiration!

seymoursquirrel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seymoursquirrel Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 8:59pm
post #11 of 33

Sounds like a super cute idea. I was recently asked to do ladybug cupcakes. Perhaps you could do a few of those scattered on the table to surround the cake. I think it would be a great added touch to the giant ladybug on the leaf.

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 9:07pm
post #12 of 33

Very cute! One question...will DD be able to smash a fondant ladybug?

I have a first B-day next month and I am planning on doing fondant for the big cake but didn't know if I should use it for the smash?

nannaraquel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannaraquel Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 9:23pm
post #13 of 33

You could probably use bc to cover the ladybug, and maybe black fondant circles for the polka dots? Or you could do the body of the ladybug with bc, the head out of fondant, and just lay the fondant wings on top of the bc, without really covering the entire ladybug with fondant. Does that make sense?
Also--and I'm sure this COULD cross the line into disgusting, but I also think it could be really cute--you could try making little fondant aphids to keep your ladybug company on her leaf.
There are so many cute things you could do with the ladybug theme, have fun!!! icon_smile.gif

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 10:55pm
post #14 of 33

I would love to make a ladybug cake!! Ever since I saw one in one of the Wilton books, I've wanted to make one. It didn't look that difficult. I think that the head was a sm. ball pan & the body was a lg.
Please post a pic.

Kelrak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kelrak Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 11:07pm
post #15 of 33

I made a small fondant ladybug to put on top of a green grass cake (in my pictures, "Bugging Me" cake). Your idea sounds adorable.

I wonder if it will be hard to cover the leaf cake with fondant since it's an odd shape.

Good luck!

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 11:09pm
post #16 of 33

I made a lady bug cake for a friends' daughter's first bday. (See my pics) At the party they his plastic bugs all over the house and used bug nets to "catch" them. And I guess that you can order live lady bugs too to give out so the kids can release them. She made a little container for each kid to release them. It was a fun party!

Stephanie

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 12:18am
post #17 of 33

Hey I made a cake just like the one you are describing .. check out my photos .. it was not covered in fondant just in buttercream .. actually I made two like that, one has a ladybug on it the other has a caterpillar on it .... hope that helps!

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 3:05am
post #18 of 33

There are party supplies available with the "princess ladybug" theme. They are really cute. I did a 1st b-day cake for a party using this theme. I didn't put a bug on a leaf, but made the big flower with a fondant ladybug- just like the plate. There's a pic of it in my photos!

Your idea sounds really cute!!!

mitsel8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mitsel8 Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 4:41am
post #19 of 33

Sounds so cute!
I'm planning on making a ladybug smash cake in a few weeks. I think I'm going to make a cookie for the face. I'm also making a 5 or 6 segment caterpillar cake for the rest of the guests. There are some really adorable "bug" cakes on this site! I am so inspired.

itsasweetthing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsasweetthing Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 4:55am
post #20 of 33

Huh? What is a "smash cake" ?
Hope it's nothing like what I am thinking. Tee Hee.

mitsel8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mitsel8 Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 4:59am
post #21 of 33

A smash cake is a small cake specifically for the birthday child that's turning 1. "Smash" because they destroy it with their hands and/or their mouth.

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 5:16am
post #22 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by nannaraquel

You could probably use bc to cover the ladybug, and maybe black fondant circles for the polka dots? Or you could do the body of the ladybug with bc, the head out of fondant, and just lay the fondant wings on top of the bc, without really covering the entire ladybug with fondant. Does that make sense?
Also--and I'm sure this COULD cross the line into disgusting, but I also think it could be really cute--you could try making little fondant aphids to keep your ladybug company on her leaf.
There are so many cute things you could do with the ladybug theme, have fun!!! icon_smile.gif

I would use buttercream on the ladybug also, just so your DD can get a little color on her hands and cheeks. Little kids often dont like the fondant texture and do not really know what to do with the whole thing. The fondant accents would work well!

Good Luck.

mconrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mconrey Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 5:19am
post #23 of 33

LOVE your idea! My daughter's 2nd birthday is coming up in June and we are doing ladybugs too! I don't know exactly what I'm invisioning for her cake yet.

I've been having a hard time getting into the "birthday party spirit" & this thread has given me some fantastic ideas for her party! Thanks guys!

And don't worry too much abour covering the cake in fondant. Practice a couple of times if you can. I can't wait to see your picture!

markbolin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
markbolin Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 4:49pm
post #24 of 33

that is a great idea. im sure she will love it.

nannaraquel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannaraquel Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 11:31pm
post #25 of 33

BTW, if you're looking for something for the birthday girl to wear...

http://prissypoofs.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PP&Product_Code=SP010&Category_Code=Spooky

I love this site, the little outfits are SOOO cute!!!

JenSully Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenSully Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 2:20am
post #26 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgirl1227

There are party supplies available with the "princess ladybug" theme. They are really cute. I did a 1st b-day cake for a party using this theme. I didn't put a bug on a leaf, but made the big flower with a fondant ladybug- just like the plate. There's a pic of it in my photos!

Your idea sounds really cute!!!

Love your Ladybug Princess cake. I would love to do it for my dd's 1st birthday since we're using a similar theme, but I've never done fondant before. I wonder if I could achieve a similar look with bc. And, does the fondant work for a smash cake?

lwatt19 Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 3:57am
post #27 of 33

I hope I am posting this correctly.... The cake turned-out really cute. Since my original post I did a 2-tier fondant cake and a small firetruck smash cake covered in fondant. so The ladybug was my 3rd fondant attempt.
LL

lwatt19 Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 4:01am
post #28 of 33

-removed-

lwatt19 Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 4:03am
post #29 of 33

I desperately tried to find the ladybug princess theme, but it was discontinued. besides I asked all guests to wear red or black and the LB princess theme was mostly pink.

The *reason* I wanted fondant for the smash cake was so that I could peel the fondant off and she would not eat a bunch of red frosting.

It was so cute, after I took the fondant off, she picked the whole body up (used the mini wonder pan for the body) and she tried to eat it like an apple.

lwatt19 Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 4:05am
post #30 of 33

-removed-

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%