Air Pockets In My Piping Bags

Decorating By izzybee Updated 18 Feb 2016 , 10:30pm by mannfordmom1

izzybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzybee Posted 10 Apr 2006 , 7:55pm
post #1 of 10

I use swiss meringue buttercream, beaten with a paddles, so air bubbles aren't really an issue with my actual frosting. However, whenever I pipe with it, I'm going along piping a border or a flower and PHHTT icon_mad.gif ! A big air pocket enters my tip and totally screws it up icon_cry.gif !

I spoon in the frosting, smoosh is down towards the tip, trying to get all the air out, then twist the top of the bag. This happens everytime! Anyone have some tips on preventing this? Thanks!! icon_biggrin.gif

9 replies
Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 10 Apr 2006 , 7:59pm
post #2 of 10

I only have this problem when I try to refill my bag that I get the air pockets. I will be watching to see what the experts say...

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 10 Apr 2006 , 8:02pm
post #3 of 10

Well, I don't have the perfect advice, but have noticed that I do better if I place my bag in a glass, fold down the sides of the bag over the sides of the glass so it sets open, then fill it one spoonful at a time. It gets more complicated if you have to refill a bag. I too will be checking this thread for other suggestions! icon_smile.gif

AuntEm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntEm Posted 10 Apr 2006 , 8:03pm
post #4 of 10

I'm not a expert but I have taken one class and my teacher said you should kind of knead it when it is in the bag. To push the air pockets up to the top and push them out.

MainCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MainCake Posted 10 Apr 2006 , 8:13pm
post #5 of 10

I don't have the perfect advice either but the first time I fill my bags, I try to get as much as I can in with one big scoop. When I'm refilling the bags I put a smaller amount in and try to get it on one side so I can smoosh it down and still have room for the air bubbles to go out up the other side. I also squirt the 'first' filling back into the bowl until the 'second' helping of filling is in the tip before resuming my piping. This prevents most of those phhht's when you're piping your borders or whatever, but you might get an occasional one here and there. I only have the air bubble problem when I refill the bags.

I think the glass idea is a great suggestion for avoiding this problem. It frees up your other hand. Also try putting one bigger scoop of icing in rather than two or more little ones if you can. Good luck!

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 4:41am
post #6 of 10

this mostly happens when refilling a bag, there is a space between the 2 icings where the air is trapped, so you need to 'burp' the bag, without twisting it closed, gently squeeze on the mound of icing, the air should make its way out the top, then twist the bag closed and squeeze icing out of the tip till you hear the 'phist', your bag should be burp free now. till you refill, that is.

Kazoot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kazoot Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 4:52am
post #7 of 10

Rvallee is right. That is just how I do mine. Also, you could squeeze the icing completely out before filling it again......Hope this helps. usaribbon.gif

izzybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzybee Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 3:31pm
post #8 of 10

I don't usually have to refill my bags. My problem is always on the first fill. I do use the glass and try to put one big scoop in first. I have a big cake to do today, so any other thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks to those that have responded!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 4:55pm
post #9 of 10

sometimes this happens to me with fluffier icings...(haven't tried the one you're talking about, but it sounds fluffy) and what I do is....once I fill the bag...I take a long skewer and kind of stir the icing around in the bag this helps with the air pockets....then I always squirt out some back into the frosting bowl usually when there's a good air pocket it will be in the first inch or so of the bag...then if it seems like there's not too much air...I pipe away...if it sounds like it's sputtering a bit like there is still a lot of air...I open the bag up again and stir the icing around some more...kind of tedious..but it does work!

mannfordmom1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mannfordmom1 Posted 18 Feb 2016 , 10:30pm
post #10 of 10

I also use the tall glass or vase trick. And don't overfill the bag, you have better control if you fill no more than half. If I see air in the bag, i knead the bag, working the air upwards and "burp" it. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%