Messy Flooding Bags

Baking By BooBooCat Updated 19 Mar 2006 , 11:01pm by golfgirl1227

BooBooCat Posted 19 Mar 2006 , 1:06am
post #1 of 11

How do you all keep thin royal icing in your decorators bags? My bags get so messy. Either running out the top or bottom. Does anyone use squeezable bottles? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
How do you all get those cute personal icons next to your names in the forum? I am new to CakeCentral and am loving it!

10 replies
sofiasmami Posted 19 Mar 2006 , 1:11am
post #2 of 11

I put the twistie ties that come in garbage bags to keep it from floding to the top .... the avatar was done by my sis .... so I can't help you there

KittisKakes Posted 19 Mar 2006 , 1:15am
post #3 of 11

Welcome to our addiction!!

For the avatar, go to "My Forum Info" link on the left side of the web page, then scroll all the way down. You can either add your own icon which I think can't be any larger than 110x110 pixels or the website has some that you can pick from.

As for the bags, if it's a paper cone, I fold the top over. If it's aastry bag, I twist it tight. For what comes out the bottom, I ususally have a paper towel handy to catch the drips when I'm not using it.

izzybee Posted 19 Mar 2006 , 1:19am
post #4 of 11

I found if you only fill it half way and twist the bag completely it shouldn't come out the top. As for the bottom, when you are filling it, place a wet paper towel in the bottom of glass, place your bag in it folding it open over the glass, then spoon in your icing. When it is thin there really is nothing to keep it from flowing otu the bottom.

slejdick Posted 19 Mar 2006 , 1:57am
post #5 of 11

If I'm doing a small batch of cookies, I'll use the parchment bags, but not fill them too full and make sure to fold the top down well so they don't leak.

For larger batches, or our "creative" sessions where the kids want to use 8 different colors, I use the squeez-it bottles that can be used with the regular Wilton decorating tips. (they're made for painting candy molds, I believe, but they're great for cookies, and have a coupler and ring so I can change tips whenever I want).


marmar Posted 19 Mar 2006 , 7:03am
post #6 of 11

I use the bottles because I'm terrible with the pastry bags.
By the way, Laura, where did you get couplers for bottles? I'd love to get some too, but can't remember which site I saw them on.

slejdick Posted 19 Mar 2006 , 1:23pm
post #7 of 11

These two companies sell them, although they may be at other places also. I'm lucky enough that both of these are local to me, and I've gotten a few at each:

click on Candy Products on the left side
Then scroll down to "tools" and click on squeeze bottles


BooBooCat Posted 19 Mar 2006 , 10:15pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks for the quick responses! I am going to try squeeze bottles. Thanks again!

antonia74 Posted 19 Mar 2006 , 10:23pm
post #9 of 11

fill the bags, then just use an elastic band at the a pony tail. icon_smile.gif

JennT Posted 19 Mar 2006 , 10:49pm
post #10 of 11

I save those thick rubberbands that come on broccoli and other produce. I've used new pony tail holders before, too. I do like those better because they're cotton covered elastic and don't seem to 'stick' to the bag as much...easier to get on and off plus I can usually get the pony tail holders tighter than I can the rubber bands. I just twist the bag tightly and the put the rubber band on. Then I can just lay the bag down on top of some paper towels when I need doesn't leak out of either end, usually.

golfgirl1227 Posted 19 Mar 2006 , 11:01pm
post #11 of 11

You can get the bottles that can be used with tips from as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%