Can You Make Royal Icing Without Meringue Powder?

Baking By kathik Updated 19 Mar 2007 , 4:21pm by di55

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 4:55am
post #1 of 14

I'm looking for a cookie icing that doesn't use corn syrup or meringue powder. Does that exist?

Thanks,
Kathi

13 replies
MrsRamon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsRamon Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 5:11am
post #2 of 14

You know I was wondering the same thing. I dont really care for the taste the merengue powder leaves on the icing. Weird?

amwake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amwake Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 5:24am
post #3 of 14

I make RI one time without meringue powder and it was just fine. The only problem I had with it was that it took longer to dry which is a real pain in the butt when you think about how long it takes to dry anyway.

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 5:26am
post #4 of 14

I know what you mean about the taste -- it's kind of metallic to me. You can use an egg white based recipe. It works great too, but everyone's worried about the raw egg factor. Just tell people there's raw egg in case they don't want to eat it.

Sarah

Feefs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Feefs Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 5:44am
post #5 of 14

My royal icing never uses meringue powder... and I use it on cookies and it's just fine... just plain ol' icing sugar and eggwhite with a bit of lemon for a bit of flavour. It's what I use for all my RI work.

-- Fi

BarbaraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraK Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 6:03am
post #6 of 14

Ditto what Feefs does and I have never had anyone complain about the cookies.

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 12:46pm
post #7 of 14

I use meringue powder but, I was thinking the same thing about using the egg whites...I don't use RI very often.

But...I was wondering, does the lemon do more than flavor the icing? Could it also be acting as a preservative of sorts for the egg white?

Ksue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ksue Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 12:53pm
post #8 of 14

The sugar is actually what acts as the preservative in icings of any kind. The egg white won't "spoil" ... it's just that people fear salmonella from raw eggs these days.

I always buy free-range, cage-free, non-factory-farmed eggs for that reason.

RI made with eggwhites and powdered sugar tastes way better than that made with meringue powder, imo.

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 12:57pm
post #9 of 14

Can one of you post the recipe for a royal without meringue powder? It would be greatly appreciated - that stuff is so expensive!

deb

Ksue Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 1:09pm
post #10 of 14

The sugar is actually what acts as the preservative in icings of any kind. The egg white won't "spoil" ... it's just that people fear salmonella from raw eggs these days.

I always buy free-range, cage-free, non-factory-farmed eggs for that reason.

RI made with eggwhites and powdered sugar tastes way better than that made with meringue powder, imo.

Ksue Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 1:10pm
post #11 of 14

Sorry my post double-posted --- don't know why.

Anyway -- here's a recipe from cooks.com that is close to what I use:

ROYAL ICING (Egg White Recipe)  

3 egg whites, room temperature
1 lb. confectioners' sugar
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar

Combine ingredients, beat at high speed for 7-10 minutes. Yields less volume than royal icing made with meringue powder.

Royal icing is a hard drying icing. Please keep covered with a damp cloth. Humidity will greatly effect this icing. Both icing recipes are excellent "glue" for Easter Eggs, gingerbread houses and cookies you want to dry hard. Grease will greatly effect this icing. Be sure to wash all utensils with a good dish soap.

Dennysse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dennysse Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 1:33pm
post #12 of 14

Agree with Ksue,I use the same recipe for my tiaras but in a smaller quantity.It taste much better too.I always add a little bit of almond extract or white vanilla because some people (like me) cant stand the how it smell.

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 2:26pm
post #13 of 14

Thanks everyone!

Kathi

di55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
di55 Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 4:21pm
post #14 of 14

I onced used a recipe of 2 cups of powdered sugar with 6 tablespoons of warm water. But I took a long time to dry and the colors would sometimes bleed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%