Gin Or Vodka ?? Which To Use?

Decorating By TheCakeShak Updated 19 Nov 2005 , 10:37pm by alimonkey

TheCakeShak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeShak Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 7:37pm
post #1 of 16

Hello Everyone... I have a question..when using luster dust, and you want to get that really really nice "effect" look of the flower or cutout,,which is better to use? Mixing the luster dust with a small amount of Gin or Vodka..I have seen where it makes the color's really stand out...Is this true?

15 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 8:28pm
post #2 of 16

Either alcohol works, but the higher the alcohol percentage, the faster it will evaporate so the application will dry. A small amount will turn your dusts into a "paint" that will apply differently than it does as a powder.

cakefairy18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy18 Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 11:35pm
post #3 of 16

i can't really answer your question b/c i've never done it...but

your post made me crave penne alla vodka..and now i have to go make me some icon_razz.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 3:29am
post #4 of 16

Everclear, Gin, Vodka... in that order. Everclear has the higher alcohol content and will will dry the fastest.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 5:28am
post #5 of 16

I prefer a good quality lemon extract (the box/bottle should cite 80%+ alcohol content). The little bit of oil in it not only helps keep the mixture of luster dust and liquid smoother but it also (I think) helps maintain the shine better.

My .02
Rae

Sory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sory Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 5:43am
post #6 of 16

Hi, crashdummy2. We (CC members) use different stuff and they all seem to work good, so it`s up to you, either one it`s okay. I normally use vodka and they come out nice.
Good Luck!! thumbs_up.gif
Bye!

TheCakeShak Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 7:50pm
post #7 of 16

icon_wink.gif ok,,,thanks everyone....I will probably give both or all a try, since I went to the store yesterday and bought, lemon juice, gin and vodka......As soon as I make some flowers and stuff,,I will post......"I've just been so dang busy!!"" I just hope this month will be a good one,,October was a really really bad time and month......

Thanks again!!!!!!! thumbs_up.gifusaribbon.gifusaribbon.gif

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 7:59pm
post #8 of 16

I use lemon extract...I don't get the "watery" effect that I've gotten with the Gin/Vodka!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 11:01pm
post #9 of 16

Whoa!!!!! just to clarify--LEMON EXTRACT not lemon juice! The juice will not work at all. The extract comes in small bottles and found in the spice area of the grocery store.

Have fun & good luck!
Rae

TheCakeShak Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 9:30pm
post #10 of 16

icon_eek.gif oops!!!!!! Thanks there Blakescakes......I will definitely go back and get the Lemon Extract!! Thanks........

vicky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicky Posted 18 Nov 2005 , 4:59pm
post #11 of 16

I used the vodka because for some reason, I can't find the everclear in St. Louis anymore??? After drying, I steamed the flowers and the colors became more vibrant!!
Vicky, MO

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 18 Nov 2005 , 9:54pm
post #12 of 16

I'm going to have to be a "NO" vote on the gin. It has a very distinct flavor of juniper berries that some people just don't like, and while it may not come through, there's also a chance that it will. I'd stick with vodka. Then you can have a bloody mary after you've stayed up all night finishing your cake. icon_biggrin.gif

mommykicksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommykicksbutt Posted 19 Nov 2005 , 12:52am
post #13 of 16

EverClear! the 180-190 proof stuff, that means it's 90-95% alcohol. Vodka and gin are what 40-60 proof max? That means they are only 20-30% alcohol. The dust will dissolve better in a higher alcohol concentration and the liquid will evaporate faster too (not as much water in EverClear - only 5-10% in comparison to 70-80% vodka/gin).

alimonkey Posted 19 Nov 2005 , 5:19am
post #14 of 16

Gin and vodka are 80 proof min and sometimes higher, but yes, everclear wins hands down for alcohol by percent.

mommykicksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommykicksbutt Posted 19 Nov 2005 , 5:08pm
post #15 of 16

Thanks alimonkey of the "proof" proof. So 80 proof is 40% alcohol. I'm still sticking with the moonshine.

alimonkey Posted 19 Nov 2005 , 10:37pm
post #16 of 16

All you teetotallers cover your eyes here...
The only reason I stick with vodka is that we always have some in the house so I don't have to take up any extra room in my already overflowing liquor cabinet. Also we had a martini party this summer and EVERYBODY brought a bottle of vodka so I'm well stocked for at least a year. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%