Posted by dkyButter and flour a 20 cm square or round pan, line with baking paper. Pre-heat oven to 180degrees centigrade.
Simple Banana Cake
- 125grams unsalted butter 1 & 1/2 cups sugar 2 eggs 1 cup mashed ripe banana few drops vanilla extract or essence 250grams plain flour 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice 1/2 cup buttermilk or 1/2 cup milk and 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, banana and vanilla.
- Sift dry ingredients and add to mixture, alternating with buttermilk ( or milk with lemon juice).
- Spoon into pan and bake for 45 mins or until cake tests clean.
- Cool cake in its pan on a wire rack for a few minutes before turning out.
- Cool completely before cuttng or storing in an airtight tin.
- ADDED EXTRA IF NOT DECORATING:
- Combine 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped walnuts, 3 tablespoons self faising flour, 1 & 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, 100grams softened butter and 3 tablespoons brown sugar. Scatter over the uncooked banana cake and bake as above.
- This recipe is from the Stephanie Alexander book "the cooks companion"