Posted by CakeproThis is a WONDERFUL red velvet cake recipe that I tweaked. The original recipe called for twice as much red food coloring, which bothered me, so I halved the amount and found the results to be exactly the same. Enjoy!
Sarah's Red Velvet Cake TWEAKED
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour 1 1/2 cups sugar 3 Tbsp baking cocoa 1/2 tsp salt 1 1/4 tsp baking soda 1 cup butter (not margarine) 2 eggs 1 ounce red food coloring 1 cup buttermilk 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sift dry ingredients together and set aside.
- Place butter and sugar in bowl of electric mixer and beat at medium-speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Beat in eggs, one at a time. With mixer on low, add red food coloring (be careful not to splash it, as it stains almost everything). Add vanilla. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk in two batches. Scrape bowl and mix just long enough to combine.
- Pour batter into prepared pans and bake for 28 - 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few crumbs clinging to the toothpick. Cool in pan for 10 minutes and then gently turn cakes out onto cooling rack to cool to room temperature.
- This cake pairs well with both cream cheese frosting as well as the mildly sweet frosting called Mary Kay Icing (also available here in the recipe section).