Posted by FrecklepussA few weeks ago I had to come up with an eggless cake recipe. I wasn't happy with the ones I had found so for some reason I called Betty Crocker to ask if they had any recipes. I struck gold, they sent me several and I thought it may be nice to share them.
Double Chocolate Cake
- 1 2/3 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour* 1 cup packed brown sugar or granulated sugar 1/4 cup cocoa 1 teaspoon baking soda 1/2 teaspoon salt 1 cup water 1/3 cup vegetable oil 1 teaspoon vinegar 1/2 teaspoon vanilla 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 350°. Mix flour, brown sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt with fork in ungreased square pan, 8x8x2 inches. Mix in remaining ingredients except chocolate chips. Sprinkle chocolate chips over batter. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.
- *Do not use self-rising flour in this recipe.
- Note: Cake can be mixed in bowl if desired.
- Chocolate-Cherry Cake: Omit water and chocolate chips. Stir 1/3 cup chopped almonds into flour mixture. Mix 3/4 cup water and 1/4 cup maraschino cherry syrup. Stir in syrup mixture and 1/4 cup chopped maraschino cherries with the remaining ingredients.
- Chocolate-Walnut Cake: Omit cocoa and vanilla if desired. Substitute 1/3 cup miniature chocolate chips and 1/3 cup chopped walnuts for the 1/2 cup chocolate chips; sprinkle over batter.
- Chocolate Mint Cake: Stir in 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract with the remaining ingredients. Omit chocolate chips if desired.
- Chocolate Spice Cake: Stir 1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice into flour mixture. Omit chocolate chips if desired.
- Maple Nut Cake: Omit cocoa, vanilla and chocolate chips. Stir 1/2 cup chopped nuts into flour mixture. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon maple extract with the remaining ingredients.
- Oatmeal-Molasses Cake: Omit cocoa, vanilla and chocolate chips. Stir 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats, 1/2 cup raisins and 1 teaspoon ground allspice into flour mixture. Stir in 2 tablespoons dark molasses with the remaining ingredients.
- Pumpkin Cake: Omit cocoa, vanilla and chocolate chips. Stir 1 teaspoon ground allspice into flour mixture. Decrease water to 1/2 cup. Stir in 1/2 cup canned pumpkin pie mix with the remaining ingredients.