Posted by zespri
This is a Martha Stewart recipe. I wasn't able to find any caramel buttercream recipes on cakecentral by searching, so figured I'd share this one as it is yummy! I made some last night using home-made dulce de luche for the caramel. It was pale in colour, and the caramel flavour was subtle, it was really nice! It piped easily onto cupcakes, and crusted quite quickly. I've posted an extra photo of the cupcakes I used it on without their decoration in case anyone wants to see the colour they turned out using the (quite pale) dulce de luche:
- 1/3 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2/3 cup dulce de leche
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 cups (approx. 1lb) icing/confectioner sugar sifted
- Cream shortening and butter with electric mixer.
- Add caramel, milk and vanilla.
- Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often.
- When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add additional milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Keep icing covered with a damp cloth until ready to use.
- For best results, keep icing bowl in refigerator when not in use. Refrigerated in an airtight container, this icing can be stored for two weeks. Re-whip before using. Yields 3 cups.