How Do You Get The "faded" Color Effect?

Decorating By curiegas Updated 17 Feb 2005 , 7:33pm by m0use

curiegas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
curiegas Posted 17 Feb 2005 , 3:58am
post #1 of 16

I want to create a cake that has a sky background but wanted the faded effect to it. Should I just use the Wilton spray on?

Thanks,
Cecilia

15 replies
MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 17 Feb 2005 , 4:07am
post #2 of 16

If you don't have an airbrush then the Wilton spray works just fine and dandy! I like to cut out shapes from either plastic or cardboard in the shape of clouds. Hold the templates over the cake and spray the blue around the templates. Hold the templates in various positions when you spary. It has a really cool effect!

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 17 Feb 2005 , 8:34am
post #3 of 16

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Only if you want it to taste like peppermint.

Go to your grocery store and purchase the Betty Crocker brand. Honestly, truly, really, Ya-huh!!!! No aftertaste!!!!!! Cheaper!!!!!!! Just as vibrant coloring.

My hot air balloon cake used the blue spray.

linnburg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linnburg Posted 17 Feb 2005 , 1:49pm
post #4 of 16

I've never used any spray. The Wilton brand tastes like peppermint? Do these sprays normally have a taste to them?

Sandi

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 17 Feb 2005 , 1:51pm
post #5 of 16

Dawn--
I think you were being kind when you described the Wilton spray tatse as being "peppermint." To me it tastes like what I imagine (based on smell) spray paint to taste like. I will have to try the Betty Crocker brand. Thanks for the tip!

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 17 Feb 2005 , 2:15pm
post #6 of 16

I have used the Betty Crocker brand and it sprays out very nice- just remember to cover your work area- or you will end up with colored countertops icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 17 Feb 2005 , 2:23pm
post #7 of 16

I agree that the Wilton spray has a "funky" smell when sprayed but it has been my experience that once it dries and evaporates, the minty taste is very mild! I've never seen the Betty Crocker brand...I'll have to keep an eye out for that! Thanks for the info!

m0use Posted 17 Feb 2005 , 2:32pm
post #8 of 16

Also remember 2 things- 1)layer to create the deepness of color that you want; and 2) if you smudge the icing icon_redface.gif - you will see the icing stick out that is uncolored (i.e. white)

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 17 Feb 2005 , 4:14pm
post #9 of 16

A few months ago I emailed Wilton regarding this very same issue.I told them their sprays smelt and tasted aweful and made you sort of sick when you used them.They emailed me back and said they had now changed their formula and took out the Peppermint flavor as they were getting many complaints.Soooo the new stock on the shelves should not have this taste and if it does it is from old stock...

So you may want to open one up and give it a spray before you buy it!!! Just don't let the clerk see yah!!Ha!Ha!

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 17 Feb 2005 , 4:30pm
post #10 of 16

I just checked the two cans I have and they both state "no smell or taste," but they sure do! Oh well. Life isn't perfect.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 17 Feb 2005 , 5:07pm
post #11 of 16

Yeah well it figures...to good to be true!!

icon_smile.gif

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 17 Feb 2005 , 6:00pm
post #12 of 16

Nope, they flat out lied. I had this same issue with them several months ago. Well guess what...

I'm at Michael's the other day (about 3 days ago)and I see a lady telling her daughter, "Oh look! Spray Icing! This should be neat!" I went over and barged right into the middle of that conversation. I sprayed the can and sure enough!! Peppermint!! I looked at the ingredients and peppermint big as day is listed as an ingredient. She was so thankful. I told her, "Well, just because I had to trash a whole cake over this issue doesn't mean you should have to."

You will also find a few cans where they put a sticky label over the ingredients removing the peppermint. Well... spray it and see what you get. I'm not a Wilton fan at all. I actually pay extra money to use other people's products. They are not end-all-be-all of cake decorating.

sweeterbug1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeterbug1977 Posted 17 Feb 2005 , 6:53pm
post #13 of 16

cali4dawn,

I am just now realizing that Wilton isn't all it's cracked up to be. When I took my Wilton courses, of course the instructor told us to buy all Wilton products because they were "the best," and like many others do, I did exactly that since I thought that I, being an amateur decorator, should not question my instructor. I did not stop to think that I was taking a Wilton class and these people were getting paid to promote the Wilton products... icon_eek.gif ..what was I thinking? Well, I have now found a couple of cake decorating supply stores and absolutely love them. I am not bashing all Wilton products ( I have some I truly love), just have found that some of the products are not as good as those you can find in a cake supply store. I have also found that in cake decorating, there are some things that you should not buy the cheaper product of because your cake will defintely not be the same.

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 17 Feb 2005 , 7:03pm
post #14 of 16

Wilton's Tips rock. They rarely rust and bend. I give them that... but many other products can be replaced.

They have great inspirational books.

People just need to know Wilton is not the only name out there.

Magic Line has a much better pan line than Wilton.

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 17 Feb 2005 , 7:08pm
post #15 of 16

I use certain Wilton products and love them; others I can't stand. In the end we have to realize that many Wilton products are made to make things easier. They are not for the skilled, semi-professional baker. Many of their products are good to start out with, but if you visit a real cake decorating store and see the products that the real pros use, then you notice the difference between a Wilton product and a much better, professioanl product.
That said, I have learned a lot from the Wilton site and still use their cake pans, tips, and a few other items.

m0use Posted 17 Feb 2005 , 7:33pm
post #16 of 16

The only time I have had a Wilton tip bend is when it falls into the garbage disposal icon_redface.gif (unknowingly) and it gets eaten! icon_cry.gif
Wilton is great for getting your foot in the door, but there is soooo much more available to us. The trick is knowing where to find it, realizing that what may work for one person will not work for another, and using this great website to express our thoughts, ideas, dreams, questions, and our work. Isn't the internet great!?!? thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%