3-D Chocolate Transfers???

Decorating By strawberry0121 Updated 8 Nov 2006 , 7:50pm by RisqueBusiness

strawberry0121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberry0121 Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 12:53pm
post #1 of 20

I an going to try to make a chocolate transfer butterfly. I COULD do it flat, but would like to make it more 3-D. Is it possible?

I am thinking I could make the wings seperate and put 2 wooden skewers on each wing. Then I can put each wing into a fondant body that is on the cake????

Or should I try to add extra support under each wing with BC?

Or is there a way I can make the wings on an angle, by laying the pattern on something that is at the angle I want, so that I can just make the butterfly one piece (like an aopen book or something). I am thinking the chocolate will run if I try to do it on an angle.

Any ideas? Should I just scrap the whole idea and do it flat on the cake?

Also, I was hoping to add some sparkle to the butterfly. Can I mist a little voddka on the transfer and add it or will it stick without anything?

19 replies
RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 1:00pm
post #2 of 20

make the wings let them dry...make a body with some c hocolate and while it's setting, insert the wings.

I don't see why that wouldn't work

strawberry0121 Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 1:07pm
post #3 of 20

Oh, I guess I should have mentioned, the butterfly is huge. It's wings actually go a little over the edges of a 9 inch cake...sorry, forgot that tidbit of onfo... icon_biggrin.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 1:18pm
post #4 of 20

By 3-D I am assuming that you want the body to have thickness, and you want the wings to be slightly folded, is this correct? Are you going to be laying this transfer down on a cake, or standing it up on the skewers?

It is best to attach chocolate to chocolate, so you might consider making the body out of chocolate clay.

3-D chocolate transfers can be done, but you will need some kind of frame to hold the wings up when you attach them.

My fear is that the weight of the chocolate, from the size you describe, will be too heavy, and the transfer will not hold together.

Please send a little more information as to how you want to set up it's display.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

strawberry0121 Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 1:25pm
post #5 of 20

You are right about the weight, that ws my fear also. However, the cake is a last minute order and I don't have time to get chocolate clay. I'm not even sure where I would get out here in the boonies.

I wanted to maybe lay the body on the cake and have the wings folded, almost like the butterfly was perched on the edge of the cake, like it would do on a flower.

I was thinking to use the skewers to put into the body and then into the cake, but I think it will be too heavy and will just tear the cake up.

playingwithsugar Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 1:33pm
post #6 of 20

Oh, sweetie, you don't Get chocolate clay, you Make it. It's just chocolate and corn syrup. You melt the chocolate, add the corn syrup, mix well, wrap and let it set overnight to cure. The recipe is in the recipes section. Just put chocolate clay in the search box. I would post the link for you, but once again, I am having gateway timeout issues.

If you have enough time, say a couple of hours, to work on the body, you can actually pipe it in 3 dimensions. It's a lot more work, but to tell you the truth, a professional pastry chef would probably pipe it before make it from chocolate clay.

Let me work up a description, and I will send it to you.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

strawberry0121 Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 1:40pm
post #7 of 20

Do you think I would be able to get the wings to hold if I pipe the body from chocolate? This is a new avenue for me, also. icon_redface.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 1:49pm
post #8 of 20

The wings would have to be piped very thin, or brushed onto your surface, as they will need to be as thin as possible, to avoid breaking off the body. The downside to this is that the wings then risk being broken.

Does anyone else have any ideas here?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

RisqueBusiness Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 4:28pm
post #9 of 20

Why dont you do it flat and give it some details to make it more dimentional?

strawberry0121 Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 6:47pm
post #10 of 20

ok, well, here's what I'm trying:

I did the wings with chocolate colored outline and filled in the wings with blue...then I took 2 tootsie rolls (Halloween candy, baby!!!) and formed a butterfly body. I put 2 globs of chocolate on the sides of the body and stuck the wings onto the globs. I propped it up in a book (to make the wings look open) and it is hardening right now. I might need to add more chocolate to create a better base to sit on the cake, we'll see!

This is my first attempt at chocolate transfers and it's not perfect, but I think only I will really notice that. I did the butterfly in chocolate outline and blue fill in, to give a hint as to what to expect the cake to be (chocolate!). I will also do the lettering in chocolate, the cake is a soft pink.

playingwithsugar Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 6:44am
post #11 of 20

Don't forget to send us pictures!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberry0121 Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 5:46pm
post #13 of 20

Fellow CCer's! Here is my 3-D chocolate transfer butter fly. Thanks to everyone who helped! I am pleased with the results.
LL

strawberry0121 Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 5:47pm
post #14 of 20

Fellow CCer's! Here is my 3-D chocolate transfer butter fly. Thanks to everyone who helped! I am pleased with the results.
LL

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 5:51pm
post #15 of 20

gorgeous.......I LOVE It!!!!

coffeecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coffeecake Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 5:55pm
post #16 of 20

Wonderful - I may try your 3d butterfuly for niece this weekend!

strawberry0121 Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 6:03pm
post #17 of 20

I made the wings seperately, the body from 2 tootsie rolls, and a "ramp" to pose it on.If you use toootsie rolls for the body, you should cover it is chocolate before you try to add the wings....

I made 4 total pieces and then glued (using chocolate) the wings to the body and set it up in a book to get the angle. After that dried, I put the ramp on the cake and glued the butterfly to it. I also piped a bunch of frosting that matched the cake to cover the ramp and to add a little extra support to the wings. I then covered that with flowers.

RisqueBusiness Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 7:15pm
post #18 of 20

Turned out very nice!

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 7:24pm
post #19 of 20

That's reaallly neat!! LOVE THAT!!

Now--CAN ANYONE HERE TELL ME HOW TO DO A CHOCOLATE TRANSFER??

I've finally done a FBCT, and I love them. Now i want to try chocolate!

ANYONE? detective.gifdetective.gifdetective.gif

Thanks,
--Knox--

RisqueBusiness Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 7:50pm
post #20 of 20

Knox, they are pretty easy..you take some melted chocolate or summer coating and pipe through a small bag.

I like using mini parchment bags cos I can keep cutting the tip off..

Or I cut a disposable bag in half.

Let it dry.

Then you melt the colors you need and FILL IN the areas. Let dry..

Oh..you need a flat surface..

I tape my pattern under a glass square that I have masked the edges with tape..then put wax paper or parchment on top and pipe away.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%