3D Hot Air Balloon

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 16 Jun 2007 , 1:22pm by Kitagrl

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 9 May 2007 , 9:44pm
post #1 of 32

I'm getting an order for a 3D hot air balloon for June. I know I could easily do it with a 1" center dowel and some platforms to support the balloon part but I am wondering how possible it would be to support it without the center since a real hot air balloon has strings on the outside...or on the other hand, what could I do to cover up the center dowel? And does anyone have a photo of a hot air balloon cake that is 3D? Or maybe there is some type of clear support I could find that would allow platforms to be screwed onto it? I'd probably need several supports...a smaller one on the bottom of the balloon and then a larger circle for the center of the balloon to support the weight.

I don't have alot of tools so I can't do anything too technical like Duff. haha.

Thanks!

31 replies
grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 9 May 2007 , 9:53pm
post #2 of 32

Have you thought about putting "flames" around the center dowel ? They have to be heated to make them take off, and many times you can see the flames.....

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 9 May 2007 , 9:55pm
post #3 of 32

what an interesting cake. I'd like to see what others have to say about this one! icon_biggrin.gif

Kitagrl Posted 9 May 2007 , 10:43pm
post #4 of 32

Hmm yeah my husband mentioned maybe making the flame part the center dowel...thanks! I just keep thinking that somewhere in there though the center dowel is going to show...I want it to look suspended as much as possible because I'll want to do the strings (oh yeah how do I do strings????) on the outside.

I guess its cake so I can't have everything, but I'd like to have as much as possible. haha.

Kitagrl Posted 9 May 2007 , 10:47pm
post #5 of 32

There's a ton of online pix but here is one:

http://www.gaineysuiteshotel.com/media/images/photogallery/tall/hot_air_balloon.jpg

Its basically invisible...but I guess I could add flames and that would help alot.

If anyone knows a good idea for strings that would be great....any way to make those edible (yet still transportable?) or do I just use real thread?

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 9 May 2007 , 11:24pm
post #6 of 32

you could buy a small bag of sugar veil icing. I have some and love it. You can either pipe it out of a small parchment cone or with a small tip. Or spread it like a sheet of icing and then comb through with an icing comb to make lines/strings! When they are set dab a little water on them and attatch right to side of balloon. They'll dry hanging like that very similar to .r.i. but more flexible.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 9 May 2007 , 11:58pm
post #7 of 32

your strings AREN'T strings...

instead of a center dowel -- (which is inedible!!! -- so no fussing about "but I want it all to be edible!')

use heavy gauge WIRE -- we're talking about 10 gauge here.

wires would form the frame of the cage (top sketch)

HOWEVER --- this is a very TOP heavy cake and even doing that would still have it resting on a very small base --- TIPPY TIPPY!!!! would probably be the end result (oh no, the hot air balloon went down in flames!)

better would be to do a home built variation of the floating tier stand concept (bottom sketch) -- much more stable -- the basket can really hang (on threads -- see inedible comment above!) and can disguise the support arm by doing a homemade "cloud" background.
LL

manderfrog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manderfrog Posted 10 May 2007 , 12:11am
post #8 of 32

If you do use the dowel, You could put a few passengers around the dowel to mask it.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 10 May 2007 , 12:14am
post #9 of 32

This sounds like it's going to be a really cool cake!

I usually use my clay extruder to make fondant/gumpaste/modeling chocolate strings.

I really like Doug's idea of the floating tier! I think you could totally get the illusion of a floating hot air balloon. Just curious, how would you go about building a stand like that Doug?

Courtney

Courtney

Doug Posted 10 May 2007 , 12:34am
post #10 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacc

This sounds like it's going to be a really cool cake!

I usually use my clay extruder to make fondant/gumpaste/modeling chocolate strings.

I really like Doug's idea of the floating tier! I think you could totally get the illusion of a floating hot air balloon. Just curious, how would you go about building a stand like that Doug?

Courtney

Courtney

3/4" plywood base of at least 1.5x1.5 foot square.

1/2" plywood circle and I'd add a dowel rising up from it for the cake to go over. dowel both glued and screwed to the circle

then a piece of copper pipe or conduit cut and bent. attach it to both w/ those straps used to hang pipe/conduit under rafters and joists.

better yet --- either do yourself or get a friend who does metal work and have base and circle made out of steel plate and then have them been a steel rod of about 1/4' diameter and weld the whole thing together.

OR

get an old wilton floating tier stand and just lop off the top and then cut down the remaining floating support to a smaller size (would require welding)

Kitagrl Posted 10 May 2007 , 12:53am
post #11 of 32

Doug you have some awesome ideas..the floating idea sounds great!

A few questions... First of all I planned to have two circular supports...one on the bottom (like your drawing) but then one closer to the center of the cake. Basically exactly like you said (when you said have a dowel up on top of the cake circle to put the cake over) only I would add another wooden circle to help it not be so top heavy. Would that work? Hmmm would it even be possible to screw all that together?

And then I don't much understand the other instructions LOL but I will definately print them and show them to my husband or someone who does. haha. The cloud idea is cool....

So what would you do for strings, just use fishing line or use sugarveil?

Doug Posted 10 May 2007 , 1:04am
post #12 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Doug you have some awesome ideas..the floating idea sounds great!

A few questions... First of all I planned to have two circular supports...one on the bottom (like your drawing) but then one closer to the center of the cake. Basically exactly like you said (when you said have a dowel up on top of the cake circle to put the cake over) only I would add another wooden circle to help it not be so top heavy. Would that work? Hmmm would it even be possible to screw all that together?

And then I don't much understand the other instructions LOL but I will definately print them and show them to my husband or someone who does. haha. The cloud idea is cool....

So what would you do for strings, just use fishing line or use sugarveil?

if base is strong enough would be like doing standard stacked tiers w/ internal dowels (or whatever) or support under cake circles -- it all transferring the weight to the wood/metal support plate....

yes could create a system of plates and central support that screws together but that's a lot of engineering and metal or wood working of fairly skilled nature.

easier to treat as just a standard stacked tier -- just the base is up in the air.

and metal version would be the strongest and most stable...

just be sure the bottom plate is at least 50% bigger across than the diameter of the balloon to make it stable. (so if balloon is 10 in across -- base sitting on table should be at least 15 inch)

don't worry, most guys into home repair, etc. will know all about copper tubing, conduit, strap hangers and such! (just like DUFF!)

Kitagrl Posted 10 May 2007 , 1:10am
post #13 of 32

Ohhh okay, just cardboard every couple inches with dowels....cool.

Hmm this way I could actually make the basket just a "basket" rather than making it into cake to hide a center dowel...

Very cool. Thanks so much!!!!!!!!

Now I have to figure out how big to make it for 40 servings...but that's ok I have a couple months and the lady has yet to finalize her order.

Oh yeah...strings... fishing line or sugarveil?

Kitagrl Posted 10 May 2007 , 1:17am
post #14 of 32

Oh and ONE more thing.... icon_biggrin.gif

I'm thinking that maybe the cake should actually start where the main part of the balloon does...and maybe make the most narrow part (the mouth) of the balloon out of rice krispy treats or something and attach it to the bottom of the plate. The only question would be "how"....I don't like using styrofoam and glue, particularly... I'm thinking if I put screws down through the board I could push rice krispy treats onto the screws but then that might pose a hazard. Hmmm.

Doug Posted 10 May 2007 , 1:21am
post #15 of 32
Quote:

I'm thinking that maybe the cake should actually start where the main part of the balloon does...and maybe make the most narrow part (the mouth) of the balloon out of rice krispy treats or something and attach it to the bottom of the plate. The only question would be "how"....I don't like using styrofoam and glue, particularly... I'm thinking if I put screws down through the board I could push rice krispy treats onto the screws but then that might pose a hazard. Hmmm.

fishing line or button thread so basket can actually hang and swing.

how about skewers instead of screws? if using would just drill little tiny holes for them to stick into and then mush on the rice krispies ---

tho' i think a round of styro glued to bottom would be easiest and most sturdy (hey, if DUFF can use styro -- so can we!)

Kitagrl Posted 10 May 2007 , 1:25am
post #16 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

Quote:

fishing line or button thread so basket can actually hang and swing.

how about skewers instead of screws? if using would just drill little tiny holes for them to stick into and then mush on the rice krispies ---

tho' i think a round of styro glued to bottom would be easiest and most sturdy (hey, if DUFF can use styro -- so can we!)

Oh I didn't even think of making the basket free-hanging. Now THATS cool. Hmmmmmmmmm. I'll have to figure out what to tie them on to hold the basket's weight....but if I used styrofoam, I could just thread the string through THAT....yeah. Hm...

BTW Doug do you have a website or something? You must have the most amazing cakes...

Doug Posted 10 May 2007 , 1:29am
post #17 of 32
Quote:

Oh I didn't even think of making the basket free-hanging. Now THATS cool. Hmmmmmmmmm. I'll have to figure out what to tie them on to hold the basket's weight....but if I used styrofoam, I could just thread the string through THAT....yeah. Hm....

or just tie them so they go up and over the support plate or over the top of the styro before gluing on (then don't need long needle to get in through the sytro.

re: website -- nope --- I do cakes -- not HTML/DreamWeaver/Frontpage etc.
(and yes, I know -- time to move into the 21st century!)

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 10 May 2007 , 1:32am
post #18 of 32

Thanks for the response Doug! I'm going to tuck that away for future use.

I also agree that styro would be easier. They are probably not going to be eating anything under that main support board anyway, so there is no need to make it 100% edible. I did the styro underneath and drilled holes w/skewers to hold cake in place for my standing dragon cake and it worked perfectly!

Courtney

Kitagrl Posted 10 May 2007 , 1:40am
post #19 of 32
Quote:

Quote:

Oh I didn't even think of making the basket free-hanging. Now THATS cool. Hmmmmmmmmm. I'll have to figure out what to tie them on to hold the basket's weight....but if I used styrofoam, I could just thread the string through THAT....yeah. Hm....

or just tie them so they go up and over the support plate or over the top of the styro before gluing on (then don't need long needle to get in through the sytro.

Thanks SO MUCH! You have been a super help!!!!! Oops....(what kind of glue holds best?)

Doug Posted 10 May 2007 , 1:42am
post #20 of 32
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks SO MUCH! You have been a super help!!!!! Oops....(what kind of glue holds best?)

w/ right kind of styro can use low temp (and sometimes hot temp -- test first!) hot melt glue.

there's also special craft glues made for gluing styro to stuff --

and for rock hard -- certain epoxies will work too -- but again test to see if will melt the styro.

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 10 May 2007 , 1:46am
post #21 of 32

Kitagrl,

I know you've gotten some great ideas but I just want to toss one more out there. I am also working on a 3d hot air balloon, although mine is much smaller and going on top of a large cake.

Anyway check out Sylvia Weinstock's book Sweet Celebrations. She has a 3 d hot air balloon cake that I made last weekend as a trial. It was very, very sturdy and looked really good even though I never finished covering it with fondant. We ate it first! icon_redface.gif This might help you figure out some construction ideas. It only serves 12-15, but it is really cool. It gave me some help on construction, even though I will have to downsize, so maybe it will help you, even though you need to scale it up.

Good luck,
Kathi

Kitagrl Posted 10 May 2007 , 1:51am
post #22 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathik

Kitagrl,

I know you've gotten some great ideas but I just want to toss one more out there. I am also working on a 3d hot air balloon, although mine is much smaller and going on top of a large cake.

Anyway check out Sylvia Weinstock's book Sweet Celebrations. She has a 3 d hot air balloon cake that I made last weekend as a trial. It was very, very sturdy and looked really good even though I never finished covering it with fondant. We ate it first! icon_redface.gif This might help you figure out some construction ideas. It only serves 12-15, but it is really cool. It gave me some help on construction, even though I will have to downsize, so maybe it will help you, even though you need to scale it up.

Good luck,
Kathi

Is it possible to scan me a photo? I don't want to buy the book just for one cake.... icon_redface.gificon_smile.gif If you can, just PM me and I'll send you my email address...if not I understand too. Thanks!

kathik Posted 11 May 2007 , 9:36pm
post #23 of 32

I can try. I have the book out from the library and I can try taking a picture and uploading it. I don't have time right now, but I get to it Saturday night.

Kathi

kathik Posted 11 May 2007 , 11:43pm
post #24 of 32

Okay, I had a few extra minutes so here is a photo. The spots are because there is a stain on the page. The balloon part is 3/4 cake resting on part of a styrofoam egg. It is attatched to the basket (also cake) by four dowels inserted into the egg and into the basket.

It definitely doesn't give you that floating effect, but it was darn sturdy!!

Kathi
LL

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 11 May 2007 , 11:51pm
post #25 of 32

I'm anxious to see the finished cake.

alibugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alibugs Posted 11 May 2007 , 11:53pm
post #26 of 32

You could screw wooden dowels and a wooden plate together. That way you wouldn't need a center dowel. The weight would be supported. That's what Duff does. hth

rittenhouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rittenhouse Posted 11 May 2007 , 11:56pm
post #27 of 32

After viewing the last photograph of the hot air ballow cake, I got to thinking. Instead of using wire or dowels maybe you could use those really long pretzel sticks? They might be sturdy enough. You could also take fondant and roll it into small snakes and just wrap the pretels sticks. I was also thinking that maybe the basket could be the cake and you could take a ballon and dip it in chocolate or candy melts. As soon as you get it the size and consistency you want it, pop the ballon and you have it. Then you could take royal icing, etc to decorate it. This way you have the ballon without too much weight.

Kitagrl Posted 12 May 2007 , 1:28am
post #28 of 32

Thanks all! I'm looking forward to hearing back from the potential customer, I hope they finalize an order! They sounded pretty certain but then some people act like that and never write back.

MustloveDogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustloveDogs Posted 12 May 2007 , 6:43am
post #29 of 32

For the strings, how about fine liquorice laces?
I found some really thin ones at a specialty sweet shop and I use them as fishing wire for fishing cakes.

kathik Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 3:16am
post #30 of 32

Hi Kitagrl, I thought I would share some helpful info I learned the hard way this week. When you are icing the balloon part start at the top and go down in straight lines. I caused mine to hit the floor because when I iced it, I caused the dowels in the base cake to loosen and then they were not able to support the weight of the top. I plan on trying this again, and I'm not sure, I might even "plant it" in a large styrofoam block to ice and then put it on the base cake at setup time.

Anyway, I hope this helps. Good luck.
Kathi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%