Cookies & Cream Filling With Fondant On Cake - Refridger

Decorating By BCo Updated 8 Feb 2007 , 4:43pm by BCo

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 9:24pm
post #1 of 18

I am making a cake tonight for a party tomorrow - I plan on using the Cookies and Cream filling from here - my dilema is is that there will be a good deal of fondant on the cake and I'm assuming since the filling is made with whipping cream that it must be refridgerated - so will the fondant hold up in the fridge overnight? I don't want it to get all yucky when I take it out of the fridge and it starts to sweat. And does the filling hold up well if made the day before? Any thoughts?

thanks so much

17 replies
chestercheeto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chestercheeto Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 9:37pm
post #2 of 18

you can just mix in some chopped oreos with your regular buttercream for the filling and then it won't have to be refrigerated. i make mine with whipped Pastry Pride, which can sit out for a bit.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 9:48pm
post #3 of 18

if you do decide to use the cream instead, and refrigerate it, just take it out several hours prior to serving and put it in a drafty space...maybe near a fan. the condensation should evaporate within that time. just do NOT touch it until it looks completely dry or you will leave smudges on the surface.

also i f you have access to satin ice fondant, the manufacturer says you can refrigerate it. i have not tried it, but it says so on their website.

Sugarbunz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbunz Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 9:53pm
post #4 of 18

I am not a fan of frostings that need to be refrigerated due to space issues so I just used regular buttercream and it tasted delicious!

BCo Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 11:06pm
post #5 of 18

Great- thank you so much for your help!!! Maybe I'll go the buttercream route and try the other filling on a "non-fondant" cake - Or maybe I'll live on the edge and put it near a fan before I have to take it to the party!! Thanks again for your help !!!!

Brandie

caryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caryl Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 12:44am
post #6 of 18

Do the cookie peices stay crunchy- or get soft?

BCo Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 12:56am
post #7 of 18

good question- I am assuming that they soften up some.

MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 1:00am
post #8 of 18

I just use cookies in my regular buttercream - it is one of my best sellers. I do add a bit more liquid when I mix the cookies in.

Kellycreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellycreations Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 1:03am
post #9 of 18

I often see posts about not putting a fondant cake in the fridge. I always put my fondant covered cakes in the fridge and have never had a problem.

BCo Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 1:06am
post #10 of 18

ok- well I'm going to try it - what kind of fondant do you use? I was going to use Marshmallow Fondant.

chestercheeto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chestercheeto Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 1:06am
post #11 of 18

the cookies get soft.. i think it tastes a lot like cookies 'n cream ice cream. yum!

BCo Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 1:09am
post #12 of 18

It sounds so good! I can't wait to eat a piece of it!!! Luckily I will be able to try a piece of this one!! I hate when I have to send out a cake and can't eat a piece of it!!! I LOVE CAKE!!! LOL

Kellycreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellycreations Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 1:12am
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bturpin

ok- well I'm going to try it - what kind of fondant do you use? I was going to use Marshmallow Fondant.

I have done it with McCalls fondant and Mill Lane fondant.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 4:14am
post #14 of 18
Quote:

when i've done this with mmf, it does get tacky on the surface. you'll need to give yourself plenty of time for it to dry up. remember, no touching! icon_redface.gif

BCo Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 1:56pm
post #15 of 18

Ok- so I chickened out with the fondant in the fridge idea. I went ahead and just added the oreos to my regular buttercream. I was up so late last night finishing the cake that I didn't want to chance it - I will definitely have to try it on a "family" cake so I can see how it goes with the fondant in the fridge. I don't have a bunch of time tonight to take it out of the fridge and let it set and for the fondant to dry out so I figured I would play it safe and go the buttercream route! I hope it tastes ok! But none the less the cake turned out great! I hope they like it!

Thanks everyone for your help!

parismom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
parismom Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 2:03pm
post #16 of 18

Caryl I love that kitty avatar! Is that your cat? I love cats icon_smile.gif

Anyway - I have alwayd put my cakes in the fridge - even covered in MMF - b/c I was afraid of leaving buttercream out! How did I ever miss that BC needs no refridgeration? Wow it saves alot of room in my fridge and also, my MMF was always tacky when painted - it just would not dry enough!

So good to know!

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 2:13pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:

It sounds so good! I can't wait to eat a piece of it!!! Luckily I will be able to try a piece of this one!! I hate when I have to send out a cake and can't eat a piece of it!!! I LOVE CAKE!!! LOL

I'm the same way - not only do I want a piece but then I keep worrying "was it good?, did I do everything right?"

BCo Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 4:43pm
post #18 of 18

LOL_ that's so funny! I'm the same way! It drives my boyfriend crazy!! - I'm a HUGE worrier too - Did I bake it too long, was it moist enough, was it dry, did it have a good flavor, was the icing ok, too sweet, not enough!! LOL I always want to be a fly on the wall whenever I send a cake on it's way! LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%