Need Advice Asap!!--Picking Coating Chocolate

Decorating By sweetchef Updated 7 Feb 2007 , 9:10pm by ShirleyW

sweetchef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetchef Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 12

I need to place a HUGE order TODAY for coating chocolate (white & dark)to cover my chocolate strawberries for Valentine's. I have access to Callebaut, Cacoa Noel, and Guittard coating chocolates. I've never tasted any (I don't want that waxy taste that some coating chocolates have). Anyone have a favorite of these choices?

11 replies
doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 7:26pm
post #2 of 12

I have tasted all of those. Any/all are great. icon_rolleyes.gif

sweetchef Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 7:29pm
post #3 of 12

Does one have a stronger flavor (you know, sometimes the coating ones have a whimpy flavor because they assume you're coating something else)? I also use them to make solid molded chocolates, so the flavor really stands out there.

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 7:30pm
post #4 of 12

I always use callebaut.

lkfarley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkfarley Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 7:34pm
post #5 of 12

We use both Callebaut and Cacoa Noel at work. I personally prefer Cocoa Noel. It melts so smooth and it has a wonderful flavor.... Great for dipping! Leslie

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 7:36pm
post #6 of 12

I have tried, and really enjoyed, all of those brands.
The most bang for your buck, to me, is Guittard. It's a lot less expensive than heavenly Callebaut; it's also easy to temper, keeps its shine, and tastes a heck of a lot better than what people are used to.

sweetchef Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 7:42pm
post #7 of 12

I've tried some of these brands in couveture form, but I don't have time to temper it...so I'm going the lazy route and getting the coating form.

Guittard is definitely cheapest (about $2/lb, versus $3/lb for Noel, or $3.50/lb for Callebaut), but I ordered some Guittard white chocolate cookie chips and they are freakishly super-white and have NO taste...so now I'm a little gun-shy.

How much chocolate do you use per dozen strawberries (for really large berries)?

karensjustdessert Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 7:49pm
post #8 of 12

In a pinch, I've used the Nestle White Chocolate Chips. I seem to amass coupons for them, so I've used them a lot lately.
Hmm...I've never thought about how much chocolate I use for dipping....
I'd say I can get about 3 dozen large strawberrries dipped per pound of chocolate.
Also, the new Nestle Chocolatier blocks (that are sold in grocery stores) now, too, are good if you need to supplement. I tried them this past weekend for a ganache and they really held their shine, and did not need any tempering...just melt and go!
Yes, I'm going to have to agree with you about the Guittard white not having much taste. But I've used white primarily for decorating over the dark chocolate, so I hadn't stressed it.
Good luck.

sweetchef Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 8:25pm
post #9 of 12

Really...3 dozen per pound?

karensjustdessert Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 8:30pm
post #10 of 12

Mmmmm...make that 2 dozen.

sweetchef Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 9:09pm
post #11 of 12

That was my original guess-timate...2 dozen. OOOOHHH...I hate all this planning!

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 9:10pm
post #12 of 12

I love Guittards white coating chocolate, don't care that much for their semi sweet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%