What Do You Serve At Parties!?

Lounge By cookingfor5 Updated 20 Feb 2007 , 4:56pm by Katie-Bug

cookingfor5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookingfor5 Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 7:03pm
post #1 of 20

Does anyone have any great dishes they serve at parties. Either snacky type foods, sides, maincourses, or fun ideas. Everyone has had my dishes and I want something new. I want to pretend I am a great cook!! icon_biggrin.gif I'm not, but like to pretend. What is your WOW dish!

19 replies
writer_mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
writer_mom Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 7:13pm
post #2 of 20

I just PM'ed you a great appetizer that people always ask me to make. Hope you like it!

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 11:21pm
post #3 of 20

This is nothing dramatic, but more of a party staple. I've recently found out that they're a regional thing, I always thought everyone knew about them...do you make sausage balls? The ones with sausage, cheese and bisquick? PM me if you don't have the recipe.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 12:48am
post #4 of 20

this one's SO easy,and everyone really seems to love it!

pigs in blankets - get the mini franks (near the hot dogs in the grocery store) and just wrap them in cut up pieces of rerigerator cresent rolls. Bake until golden brown. These freeze well after cooked and reheat beautifully!!

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 5:20am
post #5 of 20

just recently i started making these jalapeno thingies. its a jalapeno cut in half seeded and filled with cream cheese and wrapped in bacon omg its soooo yummy. my best friend makes than and loves them and she doesnt even like jalapenos. but she loves these.

i also do a tortilla pinwheel the basic filling is cream cheese sour cream and green chilies. you can add lettuce and delis meats or nothing at all and dip it in salsa.

a more cooking type food id o is brisket. i make it a different way every time i make it.

cookingfor5 Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 1:49pm
post #6 of 20

When we throw parties, we use different dishes, but you know how everyone gets bored if you have the same dishes all the time. I was just wondering what everyone else serves.

Here are my specialties. Salami bread (super easy, rolled out frozen bread dough, fill with meat and cheese of your choice or go veggie, and bake at 350 until golden brown. Glaze the inside and outside with an egg wash also before baking. One loaf is cut in half, before rolling out and makes 2. Slice and serve. I serve the pampered chef spinach artichoke dip, which is super easy. I make homemade, uncooked salsa during the summer, which is so easy I didn't realize lime juice and fresh cilantro were the key until a friend made it.

I know everyone has their great dishes and was hoping you would share. I love to try something different. Either simple or not. I'll eat anything from salsa to sushi to hotdogs! I make hot stuff for everyone else, but I'm a wimp in that area. My hubby loves hot stuff. So, share your favs! If you want any of mine let me know! I have easy desserts also.

Meigan

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 1:55pm
post #7 of 20

Oh, I just remembered another one.
Veggie Pinwheels
Finely chop raw broccoli, cauliflower, red onion and green olives. Mix into 8 oz softened cream cheese with 1/2 packet of powdered ranch dressing. When totally mixed, spread onto flour tortillas. Roll tortillas, then slice into bite-size pinwheels.

cookingfor5 Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 2:46pm
post #8 of 20

Thanks for the ideas! I think next week we will have appetizers for dinner one night! I can't believe I have never made pinwheels. I just never had any idea what to put in it.

kaychristensen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaychristensen Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 10:20am
post #9 of 20

Our family is a big appetizer family at holidays. I can't go unless I take my Sweet and Sour meatballs. These can be used as appetizers or served over rice.

1 1/2 lbs ground beef
2/3 cup cracker crumbs
1/2 cup minced onion
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ginger
1/4 cup milk
1 Tbls. shortening

Mix thourly beef, crumbs,onion,egg,salt,ginger and milk. Shape into balls. Melt Shotening in large skillett: brown and cook meatballs. Remove meatballs: and keep warm( I place them in a crockpot) Pour fat from skillet.

Next Ingredients
3 tsps. ginger
4 Tbls. cornstarch
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 (14oz) can pineapple tidbits, drained and reserved liquid
2/3 cup vinager
2 Tbls.soysauce
2/3 cup chopped green pepper

Mix cornstarch and sucar. Stir in reserved pineapple juice, vinager, soysauce and 3 tsp. ginger, until smooth. Pour into skillett, Cook over medium Med, heat and stirring constanstly until mixture thickens and boils. Boil and Stir for 1 Min. Add to maetballs. Add pineapple and peppers. Stir and heat. Or set overnight in fridge and heat the next day. This is an easy do ahead recipe thumbs_up.gif If you have any ?? Please PM me

galliesway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galliesway Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 5:01pm
post #10 of 20

Appetizers: meatballs w/sweet & sour sauce or swedish, mushroom bread, taco roll ups

grape salad

I make this chicken/polka kielbasa pasta w/ Alfredo sauce .

Try to think of more later. I do pretty much the quick and easy route!

Kelley

justducky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justducky Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 7:38pm
post #11 of 20

Chicken satay with peanut dipping sauce. Don't let it intimadate you! Easy to make, re-heats well and always has a wow factor.

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 8:07pm
post #12 of 20

My most requested is terriyaki shrimp. It is so easy. Take a large shrimp (deveined & shell off) wrap with a 1/3 piece of uncooked bacon and secure with a toothpick. Marinate these in a bottle of terriyaki sauce for about an hour. Put the oven on broil and pop them in until the bacon starts to brown.Yummy!!

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 8:35pm
post #13 of 20

Galliesway, would you mind sharing that pasta recipe? Sounds yummy!

Katie-Bug Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 8:43pm
post #14 of 20

Here is some that I do:

Marinated Cucumbers and Squash
Cucumbers 3
Squash 3
water 1/2 dup
Vinegar 2T
Sugar TT, I just do this to taste
Italian dressing mix 2 envelopes

Slice veggies and put into bowl, mix remaining ingredients and pour over veggies. Let marinate several hours. I have also added in tomatoes just before serving, goes over well!

Cranberry Turkey Sandwiches
Biscuits:
Cold Butter  2T
Bisquick    4 cups
Milk    1 cup
Dried Cranberries  ¾ cup

1. In large bowl, cut butter into mix until crumbly. Stir in milk, until moistened. Fold in berries, turn onto floured surface. Knead 10-15 times. Roll out and cut. Bake @ 400 for 14-16 minutes.

Cranberry Butter:
Butter, softened  ½ cup
Honey    ¼ cup
Dried Cranberries  ¼ cup

Smoked Turkey  1 ½ lbs.

1. Beat butter and honey until smooth, stir in berries.
2. Slice biscuits, and stuff with turkey and spread with butter.

I love appetizers and finger foods, lets keep this going and keep adding more! icon_biggrin.gif

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 8:40am
post #15 of 20

My " apricot balls " are to die for ! it's impossible to stop at one icon_biggrin.gif

250 gm glace apricots,finely chopped
250 gram white choc.melts
1/4 cup ground almonds
1 cup sweet biscuit crumbs
2 tbspn brandy
1/2 cup dessicated coconut
1/2 cup cream

Put apricots & brandy in bowl,soak for at least 10 min.
Put cream in pan,bring to boil,remove from heat,add chocolate,stir until melted.
Add apricots,almonds,biscuit crumbs & mix well.
Refrigerate until firm,roll into balls & roll in coconut.
yummee !! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

galliesway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galliesway Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 3:35pm
post #16 of 20

Here the pasta dish:

I use 4 good size boneless, skinless, chicken breasts. I cut them up and sprinkle a fair amount of Chef Paul Prudhommes's Poultry Magic( that's the key) in a pan, cut of the polka kielbasa and add( I cut of the skin stuff) .

I use the Penne noodles and heat up 2 jars Classico Alfredo sauce and por over just before serving. I sometimes use red peppers too. Easy as can be quick, easy and tastes good. It's obviously not the healthiest dish and I have subbed light Alfredo and the turkey polka kielbasa. I can't let my hubby no if he sees something is light or ff or sf he'll make a comment on how he can taste it . Pretty funny though because I do it often and he never knows.

Let me know if you try it.

Kelley

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 4:37pm
post #17 of 20

Here are some popular ones in the South:

BBQ pork riblets
Pigs in blankets
Chicken livers on a toothpick wrapped in bacon
BBQ bread
Cheese bisquits
Satay skewers

--Knox--

Katie-Bug Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 5:26pm
post #18 of 20

I'm in tennessee too so I hate to ask but what is BBQ bread? That's a new one for me.

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 6:29pm
post #19 of 20

It's just the same as the salami bread mentioned above---just has smoky bbq inside! Mmm..

--Knox--

Katie-Bug Posted 20 Feb 2007 , 4:56pm
post #20 of 20

Oh, I have one!
It's a pampered chef recipe; Western Potato Rounds
You slice the potatoes and bake them in the oven until tender, brush with B.B.Q. sauce, top with bacon green onions and cheese and melt! They are yummy and to die for!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%