Need A Perfect Recipe

Decorating By Nitu Updated 9 Feb 2007 , 1:14am by LittleMom

Nitu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nitu Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 6:01pm
post #1 of 17

I am wondering that why cake mixes is so moist and making cake softens than making cakes from scratch.
Or does anyone have the perfect recipe like a cake mixes and using oil in that then please share with me.

Thanks
Nitu

16 replies
sinderella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sinderella Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 6:05pm
post #2 of 17

interested as well!

Nitu Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 10:20pm
post #3 of 17

I think we will wait, somebody will help us. icon_smile.gif

Nitu

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 10:24pm
post #4 of 17

I'm not quite sure what you are wanting to achieve. I use a cake mix with an extender and it is very moist and I get lots of compliments. For those who make from scratch, I salute you but as long as I get the raves on what I use, I will continue doing it.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1977-0-Cake-Mix-extender.html

This is the recipe I use.

Diane

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 10:33pm
post #5 of 17

I have an excellent yellow cake recipe that I found and edited here on CC. I'm not sure if it's what you are looking for though- It's a yellow cake that taste like the boxed cake (better to me) but it doesn't use oil; it uses butter.

mkmetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkmetz Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 10:36pm
post #6 of 17

I was just reading up on this topic--there are other forum posts with this information. Anyhow, the common theme was to add a big spoonful of sour cream of mayonnaise to each cake recipe--don't substitute anything, just add it. I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to. I just try to watch the time very carefully and not overbake the cake. Remember that it will continue to bake for about 5 minutes or so, while it sits in the hot pan. Another technique was to wrap the cake in saran wrap about 10-15 after you take it out of the oven and turn it out of the pan. That traps the heat and keeps moisture inside the cake. And the saran wrap does not stick--I just tried in last weekend! Hope this helps! Good luck!

mkmetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkmetz Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 10:37pm
post #7 of 17

I meant to say add sour cream OR mayonaise--not both!

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 10:40pm
post #8 of 17

Well I think that the reason that cake mixes are softer and moister is all those lovely chemicals they use, you know dough stabilizers, gums....etc. things we can't pronounce. sheesh would be nice to find a place that sold those kind of things to j.q. publique.

ladybuglau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybuglau Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 10:43pm
post #9 of 17

just had to say thatit seems to me that when you use a cake extender recipe, you ARE making a scratch cake. If you're only using a cake mix as one of the ingredients and adding so many of your own, I don't think its cheating at all! (p.s. I brought a doctored cake mix cake to work the other day and everyone went bananas over it, no joke, I never heard people gush like that before!)

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 10:48pm
post #10 of 17

My secret to really moist, scratch cakes is real butter and buttermilk. I don't think any of my recipes have come out dry. I have posted a white cake and a chocolate cake on this site. Both are very easy.

You can PM me for any other information you would like.

Michele

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 10:56pm
post #11 of 17

Ducan Hines icon_wink.gif

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 10:59pm
post #12 of 17

People on here rave about replacing the oil in the recipes w/ melted butter and adding an extra egg. Also using milk in place of the water it calls for. thumbs_up.gif

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 11:04pm
post #13 of 17

scratch cakes are more tender when you use cake flour and ditto on the buttermilk and butter have you ever tried any of the Cake Bible recipes rose really explains the science behind the cake icon_smile.gif

Nitu Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 11:13pm
post #14 of 17

Thanks everybody. Diane and doitallmom, I will surely try your recipes.
But I thought because of Oil cakes from cake mixes are making very moist. And I saw on Marthas show. Paula Deen was showing Hummingbird cake and she used self-rising flour and especially oil and she mentioned that oil makes cake moist. And I know she is the great baker. So I was wondering and looking for recipe with oil.
But yes I agree sour cream makes cake little moist.
I came from India and there is no cake mixes available and whenever I went there I couldnt my cake moist it is always dry. So because of this reason also I was looking for the good moist cake recipe from scratch. I am always believing and kind of use to making things from scratch. If I couldnt bake moist cake then I have to have bake sponge cakes and it is not affordable for me.
I will try every recipe that mentioned it is moist.
So thanks again everybody.
Nitu

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 11:26pm
post #15 of 17

Good luck Nitu! If we can be of any more help, don't hesitate to ask. It's not necessarily the oil that makes a cake moist. It depends on the combination of the ingredients. Just keep trying until you find one that is good for you.

Diane

Nitu Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 11:30pm
post #16 of 17

Thank you very much again, Diane. I am learning a lot from you all here on CC.

Nitu

LittleMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleMom Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 1:14am
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaptlps

Well I think that the reason that cake mixes are softer and moister is all those lovely chemicals they use, you know dough stabilizers, gums....etc. things we can't pronounce. sheesh would be nice to find a place that sold those kind of things to j.q. publique.

www.amazon.com - they have everything! Hi-ratio shortening, xanthan gum, soy lecithin, etc... There's a gourmet foods section that has all that stuff! I've never ordered, so I can't tell you anything about it, but it's there!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%