Ot!! Suv??

Lounge By briansbaker Updated 27 Oct 2005 , 10:46pm by gibson

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 5:11pm
post #1 of 20

I was wondering if any of you own a Suburban or an Expedition.. Hubby and I looking into these.. I needed to know what kind of gas mileage are you getting on the street and on highway... I have no idea where to look for this info. at on the net.. So I thought... AHHH!! CC I bet there are alot of CC members with SUV'S.. Especially those delivering Wedding Cakes.. LOL.. THANKS!!!!

19 replies
cakecre8tor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecre8tor Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 5:17pm
post #2 of 20

I have an expedition and love it!! The seats in the back fold down flat which is great for hauling cakes! The gas milage is not the best I think I get 13ish on the streets and 15ish on highway - but it has a nice big tank so I don't have to fill very often and gas seems to be coming down a bit - I paid $2.29 tuesday! It has been taking me around $70 to fill up so I hope it keeps going down! Good luck! icon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 5:18pm
post #3 of 20

I drive a Dodge Durango and I love it!! Lots of room,big and heavy for the icy roads here!!

peanut2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peanut2 Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 5:20pm
post #4 of 20

I have a Buick Rendezvous and I love having it. It is more expensive on gas than our other cars, but it is very comfortable, I feel secure in it and it is the best vehicle I have had for moving cakes.

sdfgarcia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sdfgarcia Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 5:21pm
post #5 of 20

MY DH and I were going to buy a Tahoe this summer when the GM deals were so hot - loved the bells and whistles, HATED the space the vehicle had to offer. The suburban was larger and offered more space, but to me it was like driving a small building around.

We have a toddler, and my DH has been on me to look at a minivan. I finally took the plunge, and we ended up with a Honda Odyssey. This is the GREATEST vehicle ever for delivering cakes! I can fold my third row seats flat and put my cakes there and still have room for adult passengers and our daughter.

I don't know if a minivan is an option, but it sure works for us. The fuel economy is decent - I get around 20 in the city, 24 or so on the highway. And it is sooooo roomy without being just huge to drive around on a daily basis.

If you're in the Dallas area and want more info, email me! I can't say enough nice things about these wheels.

cake77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake77 Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 5:26pm
post #6 of 20

I drive a Blazer, back seat folds down flat I get about 15 mpg town, and about 20 mpg highway, I love it have had it for 5 1/2 yrs, and when I do replace it, it will be with the same type of vehicle. The 4 wheel drive also helps, as I leave for work at 4:30 am and I live on a dirt road that is not always plowed when I leave for work in the winter, and we all know how western NY winters can be.

Wilma

gibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gibson Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 6:35pm
post #7 of 20

Okay I just watched the Oprah show and it was about global warming. I have to tell you I am not environmentally friendly at all but after seeing this show I will definately be changing my ways. Wonder why there have been so many hurricanes this year? WATCH THE SHOW!! SUV's are the WORST vehicles to drive for gas mileage! icon_cry.gif They are the absolute worse for pollution and contributing to GLOBAL WARMING! I really urge you to look at a different choice for a vehicle maybe something more gas friendly? Check out Oprah's website PLEASE!!

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 6:46pm
post #8 of 20

I live in California and you know we have some pretty strict laws about pollutants and stuff. I see THOUSANDS of SUV's on the roads and have freinds who drive them, but personally they just aren't my thing... but then again, I never thought a mini-van would be my thing either.

I say buy what makes you feel wonderful while your sitting in it, especilly if you'll be sitting in it a lot!

Debbi

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 6:53pm
post #9 of 20

I know SUVs have a bad rep maybe because some people buy them without needing such a large vehicle but when we were getting ready to buy our next vehicle, we looked into both minivans and SUVs and they got about the same gas mileage. Large pick-ups can be even worse than some SUVs. You can't always count on the media hype and have to check things out for yourself.

cake77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake77 Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 7:03pm
post #10 of 20

Hi! I am glad other people, replied to this topic, personally I need a 4 wheel drive as I stated earlier to get to work in the winter months. As far as gas mileage goes, My husband and son both have 4 wheed drives and I get better gas mileage than they do. I work at the county jail, and I am considered essential personal, and I have to be here, even if the roads are closed. I wonder what vehicle Oprah has? Compact car or limo?

I guess every situation is different.

Wilma

bikegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bikegal Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 7:14pm
post #11 of 20

I just don't buy it about the hurricanes being caused by global warming. There are numerous hurricanes every year that usually dissipate before they hit land so they are never reported. Guess what year was the worst year for the U.S. for hurricanes? Not 2005 but 1886 with seven hurricanes hitting land. Yes, I'm sure there is some global warming that is occurring but it annoys me how the media makes it appear like the planet is coming to an end RIGHT now. Be smart and do your part that's my motto. Recycle/walk/carpool/bike if you can do that to get where you need to be.

bikegal

gibson Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 7:28pm
post #12 of 20

Yes, Oprah admitted she was guilty in having an SUV but is considering buying a Hybrid car. I'm just as guilty! I drive a 4x4 truck! Although I do watch how much I drive it (only because gas is sooo expensive and I live out of town!)
I live in Canada and originally was from a place that would get so much snow sheds and such would cave in! We are known for our winters and I bought a car that was front wheel drive and never ever had a problem with driving in the winter!! Soon enough if everyone keeps doing what they're doing and ignoring this problem we won't have to worry about snow!
It is so easy for us to say OH WELL I NEED this for whatever reason....if you have kids do you want them to suffer for our mistakes??? We really need to start being conscious about things that will not impact us so much as impact our kids and grandkids. Small things can make a difference.
If we keep passing the buck we are all contributers to this problem!
All I'm saying is think of the children and what they will be facing in 5, 10, 20 years from now...if nobody cared where would we be?
I apologize for sounding preachy but after watching the show I couldn't believe what is happening to the world and we are all to blame!!

gibson Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 7:30pm
post #13 of 20

I guess I'm fighting a losing battle!

I apologize won't bother you anymore!

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 7:45pm
post #14 of 20

I agree that we all need to do our part and be responsible for what we do to the earth, in order to preserve it for future generations. And I think every generation has probably gone through this dilemma in some form or another, but it's never as bad as the media try to make it out to be. Just be concious about what you do...this planet is more reilient than what some people want to admit (or give God credit for).

As for SUV's vs. other vehicles: DH & I did our research and most SUV's like Suburbans, excluding the really big ones like Expedition, get almost the same MPG as most mini-vans. I think the Nissan Quest might be the exception, though...if I remember correctly it got 22MPG in-town/26 highway...something close to that I think (but don't quote me!!). I know it was one of the best mini-vans where MPG is concerned. And I LOVE LOVE LOVE the van!! Great design, unique, windows in the roof keep the interior from being dark, side windows can be tinted as dark as you like, while the top windows can be tinted enough so there's not a glare but you still get light in. Rear seat goes flat for more cargo room, not so high off the ground that you feel like you're riding a horse!! I'm getting one for my bday in March...but I'm not supposed to really count on it, DH said...he hoped I'd forget about it and then it'd be a surprise!! FORGET about getting a brand new vehicle!! He's insane! I've had used cars all my life...no way am I forgetting!! HA! icon_rolleyes.gif

I do like a 4-wheel drive Suburban, though. DH wants us to get a used one to have on hand for when I need to meet him on the job site, etc. Or when we go to the mountains or whatever.

gibson Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 7:48pm
post #15 of 20

It's not just about the gas mileage its about the emissions.

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 7:49pm
post #16 of 20

Guess I should be drawn and quartered then...I drive a Totyota sequoia and my hubby drives a trailblazer and our extra vehicle is a conversion van. He travels and has to have teaching equipment with him. I cater as well as doing the cakes and the other is for recreational trips with the kids.

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 7:56pm
post #17 of 20

I just got a 05 Durango and I LOVE it!! I had a Jeep before and a van before that. OF the 3, the Durango is my favorite. Although I never had a problem delivering cakes in the Jeep, I needed the extra seating for my daycare kids. I have 7 passenger seating now and I get about the same gas mileage as before.

RE the hybrids. Yes, they are a good thing--but they STILL use gas and expell emmissions. The electric part of the engine only kicks in when the vehicle is going 20 mph or less--basically when you are sitting in rush hour traffic. Just an FYI.

Lisa

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 8:09pm
post #18 of 20

I have a volvo XC70 wagon and I love it... icon_lol.gif I couldn't see myself in a minivan and I didn't want to drive a land barge, so we settled on a wagon!! I have plenty of room for the kiddos and lots of space in the back!!

I recently read something on peak oil and found it to be very interesting... I've been wanting to do more research, but just haven't had the time. If you do a google search on peak oil you'll get a ton of hits...It's worth reading and makes you think what may happen in the future!!

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 8:48pm
post #19 of 20

This is the research I did a while ago for a paper I was writing...I've updated it since OPEC updated their site.

http://www.opec.org/library/FAQs/PetrolIndustry/q7.htm

I think OPEC is being optimisitic since by their calculations, proven oil reserves stood at 1,137,550 million barrels in 2003...this is a calculation of how much oil exists in the world.

http://www.opec.org/library/FAQs/PetrolIndustry/q1.htm

The world is projected to consume 90 million barrels a day by 2010.

http://www.opec.org/library/FAQs/PetrolIndustry/q2.htm

1,137,550M divided by 90M divided by 365 or about 35 years

The upside (and there always is one) is that as gasoline prices continue to rise (shortages), alternative fuel sources look more attractive.

Just puts things into perspective.

gibson Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 10:46pm
post #20 of 20

I just want to say that I hope I did not offend anyone with my opinions...

I just get a little carried away sometimes when I'm excited about something....and I just think if everyone was aware of what was happening (because I definately wasn't and what an eye opener!) we might be able to right the wrongs that have happened or prevent more wrongs from happening.

I really really hope I haven't offended anyone....if so please let me know so I could apologize via a PM.

Good luck Briansbaker with the vehicle you choose! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%