Nonperishable Fillings

Baking By smashcakes Updated 29 Oct 2005 , 1:30pm by TexasSugar

smashcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smashcakes Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 12:57am
post #1 of 9

i was wondering if most filllings that you make with preserves or jam would be considered perishable? i noticed someone said they use loranne oils, is this different from regualr flavorings from the grocery. i'd like to try fillings for some of my cakes, but i don't really want to do perishable fillings, any guidance would be appreciated

8 replies
peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 1:28am
post #2 of 9

Well, I can't tell you about filling that are homemade, but I buy my fillings. They come in a plastic sleeve and do not have to be refrigerated. There are lots of flavors even cream cheese. I order mine from country kitchensa.com but some cake stores carry them.

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 28 Oct 2005 , 4:23pm
post #3 of 9

I like this one... If you like pineapple, you may like it too..

Pineapple Filling

1 (13 ounce) can crushed pineapple
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons butter
Cook pineapple, sugar and cornstarch until thick. Add butter while warm. Cool before using.

You can also use containers of pudding... There are lots of flavors.. Make sure you buy the kind that doesn't need to be refrigerated. They are a life saver... thumbs_up.gif

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 28 Oct 2005 , 5:30pm
post #4 of 9

I buy made pre-made also...lots of different flavors. It's a great time saver and I never need to worry about refrigerating them!

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 28 Oct 2005 , 5:43pm
post #5 of 9

this has been discussed on other threads before. Here are some of the things that came up:

Those pudding cups do need to be refrigerated after they are opened, according to the manufacturers.

Here's what it says about the Country Kitchen fillings in the sleeves on their website. I've added the bold.

Pastry Filling-Bavarian Cream
Excellent for pies, pastries, cookies, tortes, and between cake layers. One sleeve pastry filling yields 3 cups. These pastry fillings do not soak into cakes. Refrigerate after opening; stays fresh for 3-6 months. Ingredients: : water, sugar, modified food starch, vegetable shortening (partially hydrogenated soybean and cottonseed oils), salt, artificial flavor, agar, titanium dioxide (for color), sorbic acid (preservative), and FD&C Yellow #5 & 6. Filled cakes may be frozen or refrigerated.

Maybe they just say that to avoid problems, but they really can be left out? I don't know since I haven't used them, but this is what the website says.

Do a forum search with the words filling and refrigerate and you'll get a lot of info. [/b]

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 28 Oct 2005 , 5:57pm
post #6 of 9

I get mine from CK Products and it doesn't say anything on them about needing refrigeration.

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 28 Oct 2005 , 6:13pm
post #7 of 9

Wow, I have done lots of cakes with container puddings and never have gotten poisoned with them.... Mainly for the family.. icon_smile.gif

I must have missed this discussion, sorry. I am just thinking that because I use it for filling and the cake is "sealed" once covered in icing, that it shouldn't be a problem. NOw, after cutting the cake, that may be another story.

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 28 Oct 2005 , 6:36pm
post #8 of 9

It's my understanding that that's just what the manufacturer says. Personally, I think with all the preservatives and sugar that are in those things, that they'd be fine at room temp for a day or two. I think they have to cover their bases for legal reasons.

I'd love for a person who has extensively studied food science to give us the real low down on everything. Maybe sometime I'll call the local university extension office and ask some questions.

From everything I read here and in cake books, I've decided in my own cakes that ganache, cooked fruit fillings, eggless buttercreams, and jam are fillings I'll use in unrefrigerated cakes.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 Oct 2005 , 1:30pm
post #9 of 9

I mainly use things like strawberry and raspberry preserves. You can also use ice cream toppings, like chocolate and caramel, as long as they are the thick ones. Nutella and lemon curd also work well.

I don't put those cakes in the fridge, but do put left oves (in the jars) in it. If I buy it at room tempature then I don't have a problem leaving it out in a cake. I mean they say that it is okay to leave ganache out, even though it has milk/cream in it.

I think though, that pretty much any of the homemade fillings you make need to be refridgerated.

The premade sleeves are nice, but they aren't readily available to everyone. I have to order them off line, and I just don't make enough cakes to use them up after opening. I have several open in the fridge right now that have been there for months. So for me the cost just doesn't compare to what I can get at the grocery store.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%