Need Silver Color

Decorating By peachstate Updated 27 Oct 2005 , 4:15pm by peachstate

peachstate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peachstate Posted 26 Oct 2005 , 9:55pm
post #1 of 6

Can anyone tell me how to create a silver color. I need to make a painted on boarder on a piece of fondant ribbon, but I dont have any silver luster dust. Are there any colors that can make silver? Help!

5 replies
clb307 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clb307 Posted 26 Oct 2005 , 10:58pm
post #2 of 6

Maybe try adding just the slightest touch of black to some white BC or something else white with some pearl luster dust?? I'm not really sure what else to try.

CakesUnleashed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesUnleashed Posted 26 Oct 2005 , 11:27pm
post #3 of 6

If you are using Fondant of MMF, you can use Silver Luster Dust and it is fabulous! I also add a bit to buttercream and although it no longer sparkles...it looks silver.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 26 Oct 2005 , 11:41pm
post #4 of 6

Peachstate just said she doesn't have any silver luster dust!

Looks like grey BC is going to be as close as you can get, but if you added a little piping gel it might be a little shiny. Janice

mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 12:07am
post #5 of 6

Janice, you're funny! I thought the same thing!!!
I haven't seen a silver coloring of any kind. Janice's idea would work or you could use a royal icing, which tends to dry with a little bit of shine. And I would just use a small amount of black at a time.

peachstate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peachstate Posted 27 Oct 2005 , 4:15pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the ideas. Although I think that after I bake my cakes and while they are cooling that I am going to run to the bakery and get some silver luster dust, even though I really didnt want too. I just dont want to skimp on the overall outcome of the design. I was hoping that there were other alternatives though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%