Red Royal Icing

Baking By debster Updated 7 Feb 2007 , 3:31am by Teekakes

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 5:02am
post #1 of 11

Ok tell me how to get a true red that's not bitter tasting please..............I need help quickly. Thanks to all the night owls. icon_smile.gif

10 replies
Erlyns_Treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erlyns_Treats Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 5:08am
post #2 of 11

Did you try adding pink? also i think a little lemon juice takes out the bitter taste.

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 5:10am
post #3 of 11

Debster I made red ri last night add some lemon extract it gives it a wonderful smell and flavor. I made a 2 pound bag of powered sugar so I think I used 2-3 ts extract. Just remember that the red may not look red enough ut it gets darker as it dries so don't O D on color HTH debbie icon_smile.gif

debster Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 5:17am
post #4 of 11

Ok I'm going to let the red sit over night and see if it gets darker, now for the lemon juice idea, what if I already added vanilla to taste? Thanks for the ideas.

tricia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tricia Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 9:30am
post #5 of 11

I found at my local cake supplier a RED powder that works great! It goes straight to RED..no pink in between, no bad taste either.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 9:35am
post #6 of 11

I was going to suggest powdered color, too! That is all I use now for challenging colors. I still use Americolor for basics, but red and black are definitely powdered color items.

A quick word about red - it is very sensitive to light, and will fade easily. Purple does the same, and turns gray, because of the red pigment in it. Powdered red color lasts longer than the pastes or liquid gels.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

darby822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darby822 Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 10:06am
post #7 of 11

what brand of powder do you guys use?

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 10:17am
post #8 of 11

I own two different brands, and I use both. For larger jobs, I use Cake'N'Candy, because the container is bigger. For smaller jobs, and for use as petal dust, I use Crystal Colors, which I highly recommend. Both are pure FDA-approved food colors, no additives like talc or anything like that.

Crystal Colors (available from www.sugarpaste.com) comes in a large variety of colors, which are all very beautiful. The color chart on their website does not do them justice.

Cake'N'Candy has a smaller variety of colors, mostly primary, secondary, and neutrals.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

amwake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amwake Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 2:11pm
post #9 of 11

Wilton has a No Taste Red. That is what I use in mine, as the powder is harder to find.

Angel

debster Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 3:22am
post #10 of 11

Ok I found the no taste red today and used it , it worked great and I liked the color too. I got some of the powder also , but didn't try that yet. The powder is from ChefMaster . Thanks all............... icon_biggrin.gif

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 3:31am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by playinwithsugar

I own two different brands, and I use both. For larger jobs, I use Cake'N'Candy, because the container is bigger. For smaller jobs, and for use as petal dust, I use Crystal Colors, which I highly recommend. Both are pure FDA-approved food colors, no additives like talc or anything like that.

Crystal Colors (available from www.sugarpaste.com) comes in a large variety of colors, which are all very beautiful. The color chart on their website does not do them justice.

Cake'N'Candy has a smaller variety of colors, mostly primary, secondary, and neutrals.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Theresa, who makes the Cake'N'Candy powdered colors? Do you like it better than Americolor all around or just for certain colors?
TIA! icon_smile.gif

Lea

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%