Cake Decorating Avg Time

Decorating By SugarBakers05 Updated 6 Feb 2007 , 4:19am by Momof4luvscakes

SugarBakers05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakers05 Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 4:02am
post #1 of 7

Hello there, just wanted to get an idea how long on average does it take you to complete a decorated cake. Not counting the baking time- just from the time you lay your crumb-coat to the final product. I've been coming along with this but it always takes me anywhere between 4 hours and up. Is that normal, or does it get quicker with time. By the time I finish, every muscle in my body aches.

6 replies
drurys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drurys Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 4:11am
post #2 of 7

I'm with you. 4-6 hours. But I also have a 2 year old to attend to while I do my cakes icon_smile.gif

jwong9664 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jwong9664 Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 4:13am
post #3 of 7

same w/ me, about 6 hours! i was hoping it would get better lol maybe not icon_biggrin.gif

chrissy410 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissy410 Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 4:15am
post #4 of 7

I always bake my cakes the day before and dedicate the next day for decorating otherwise I would be in the kitchen all day. It usually takes me about 4 hours to decorate completely. If I'm doing something like fondant roses I do those 3-4 days ahead of time and let them dry out longer. I don't bake too often but when I do, I'm very sore and achy.

SugarBakers05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakers05 Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 4:15am
post #5 of 7

Oh I can imagine with the kids it might take a while. My baby is a 250 lb teddybear of a man who always wants attention when he hears the mixer go off. Lately, he gives me my space and goes to play cards with his pals.

Momofjakeandjosh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momofjakeandjosh Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 4:16am
post #6 of 7

I can usually do one in a couple hours although some can take a lot longer dependng on the design. I have two kids (ages 5 & 2), so I do it in stages throughout the day to speed things up. I usually bake the cake and mix up my icing in the morning while the boys play. Then, I frost it while they are eating lunch. Then, my 2 year old goes down for a nap which gives me a couple hours to get the decorating done. I find I go much quicker if I have all the icings mixed and colored, and even bagged up until my son goes down for his nap.

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 4:19am
post #7 of 7

I remember when it used to take me 3 hours or so just to get a smooth finish on my BC. Now I can frost and smooth a cake inabout 15 minutes. It will get better. It takes lots of cakes and lots of practice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%