Nfsc---Rolling Using Flour......don't!

Baking By KCotten Updated 7 Feb 2007 , 12:53am by kendraanne

KCotten Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KCotten Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 3:30am
post #1 of 11

I noticed on a post a discussion about using flour for dusting, using parchment, or saran wrap. Personally, I use powdered sugar. It does not have any effect on the outcome of the cookies. Just thought I'd add that tip for those who don't already use it!

Happy baking!!

Kim

10 replies
mitsel8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mitsel8 Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 3:40am
post #2 of 11

Same here, I always use powdered sugar.

cookiecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiecreations Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 4:10am
post #3 of 11

Alton Brown from the Food Network made the same suggestion during his cookie special over the holiday. I haven't tried it yet, do you like the results???

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 4:54am
post #4 of 11

I roll them out between two pieces of parchment cut to the size of the pan. I cut out the cookies, remove the excess, put the sheet in the pan and bake--saves a few steps and a bit of mess.

Rae

amwake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amwake Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 2:14pm
post #5 of 11

I use the same process as BlakesCakes. Less mess, less steps and you don't have to worry about constantly cleaning you cookie sheet because the parchment paper keeps it clean.

beckah78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beckah78 Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 3:50pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I roll them out between two pieces of parchment cut to the size of the pan. I cut out the cookies, remove the excess, put the sheet in the pan and bake--saves a few steps and a bit of mess.

Rae

I do the same. A lot less mess & no need for more flour!

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 3:58pm
post #7 of 11

I roll out on my silpat, no need for anything extra either.

KCotten Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KCotten Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 4:05pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiecreations

Alton Brown from the Food Network made the same suggestion during his cookie special over the holiday. I haven't tried it yet, do you like the results???

I use the powdered sugar or wax paper every time. They work extremely well. Another tip....my most treasured investment (a cheap one!) is my marble slab. I love it for rolling dough. Also, if you are in a hurry to cool something, it is amazing how quick the marble slab will take the heat out!

Kim

cryssi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cryssi Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 8:45pm
post #9 of 11

I also roll between 2 sheets of waxed paper. I will never do it any other way ever again...

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 12:46am
post #10 of 11

I roll directly out on my granite countertops! works like a charm but I have been using flour if I need it - will try powdered sugar next time!

kendraanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kendraanne Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 12:53am
post #11 of 11

I roll mine using a dusting of powdered sugar too. The recipe I use came from a bakery in which the owners retired, and they always rolled their sugar cookies on a powdered sugar dusted surface. I think it works great and adds a better flavor than flour!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%