Luster Dust & Pearl Dust

Baking By beckah78 Updated 6 Feb 2007 , 8:43pm by cryssi

beckah78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beckah78 Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 11:48pm
post #1 of 6

Hello.
I just had a quick question about luster dust & pearl dust.
When I apply this to a cookie, do I do it when the cookie icing is dry? Will the dust stick to the cookie even though it is dry or should I use some sort of liquid to adhere it to the icing?
Thanks! icon_smile.gif

5 replies
redsoxgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redsoxgirl Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 11:55pm
post #2 of 6

Hi there. the icing should be dry. mix your dust with some lemon extract or vodka (it's a matter of preference) and brush it on. the amount depends on how dark or light you want the dust to appear. HTH

beckah78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beckah78 Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 11:58pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks for the reply! Is the lemon extract a strong taste or can you not really taste it?

tayesmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tayesmama Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 5:39am
post #4 of 6

You can't really taste it. You can use something that has a lot of alcohol in it (so it evaporates quickly) - hence the lemon extract. thumbs_up.gif

jackieaugusto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackieaugusto Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 5:39pm
post #5 of 6

ok, I think you just blew my mind. Um, I use pearl dust for chocolate heart bouquets and I realize you said to mix it with extract. Um, is that why I find it so difficult to put the pearl dust on the chocolate?? icon_confused.gif I didnt know i had to mix it with the extract! icon_surprised.gif lol I am such a newbie!! lol I have to laugh at myself for this one. thanks for posting and enlightening me!

cryssi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cryssi Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 8:43pm
post #6 of 6

if you just want a sheen, you can dust it on dry (see my christmas tree cookies in my photos). I haven't tried the extract yet, but you can be that I will when I need to... icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%