Cool Whip, Vanilla Pudding Mix, And Milk?

Baking By Momofjakeandjosh Updated 6 Feb 2007 , 9:52pm by LisaSargent

Momofjakeandjosh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momofjakeandjosh Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 10:31pm
post #1 of 6

I had someone request an icing they'd heard of with these ingredients. Has anyone heard of this? If so, do you have a recipe? How is it with decorating in comparison to buttercream?

5 replies
RoseCitySugarcraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RoseCitySugarcraft Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 10:46pm
post #2 of 6

My mother has a recipe for a cake that is filled/iced with something similar; dream whip topping mix, inst. pudding mix, and milk.

Beaten for 10 minutes, it's thicker than normal pudding, so it sets up a bit, but NOT to the extent of a good BC. I just found the recipe:

3 cups whole or 2% milk, VERY cold
2 envelopes dream whip topping mix
2 boxes instant pudding mix

mix as you would normally for pudding, but for 10 full minutes. if you want it a "bit" thicker for icing, I'd probably chill it for a couple hours beforehand.

It will definitely make a great simple icing for something casual, but as it really IS not much more than pudding, I'd only ice something like a sheet cake or bundt with it.

HTH, and let me know if you use it, how it works out for you!

~ Scott

Momofjakeandjosh Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 12:35am
post #3 of 6

Where would you find dream whip topping mix?

Also, would these work for cupcakes? That's what she wants it for.

txboog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txboog Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 12:48am
post #4 of 6

This sounds like the topping I make for Strawberry Stripe Refrigerator Cake. It's in a book titled Cake Mix Magic in Minutes.

You use 1 package (4 serving) vanilla instant pudding, 1 cup milk, and 1 cup whipping cream, whipped.

This is a good little topping, but is not intended for "decorating". I just use it on this strawberry cake and it stays in the pan.

Momofjakeandjosh Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 12:53am
post #5 of 6

So, I guess I'll tell her it wouldn't work for cupcakes. She is wanting that swirl you see on cupcakes with a decoration on it. Sounds like this icing won't work. Thanks for the heads up!!!!

LisaSargent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaSargent Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 9:52pm
post #6 of 6

funny you should ask...my instructer just told us about this in a cake decorating class last night! She said in the cake biz she uses this as a filling. She cuts 2 layers of a cake in half and then uses this mixture to crate a light and yummy filling. Your cake ends up being big and tall (4 layers of cake, 3 layers of filling). She said its not good to decorate with icon_sad.gif

hope that helps icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%