Impossible Customer! Grrrr!

Business By kelleym Updated 7 Feb 2007 , 6:55am by Chef_Stef

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 10:03pm
post #1 of 41

I just have to vent about this. This woman called me back in September or so wanting an "estimate" for a baby shower cake. She wanted a 3-tiered square cake for 30 people. I told her she didn't need 3 tiers, talked her down to 2 and quoted her $2/serving. She thought that was too much. I came down on my price. I did two sketches based on what I thought she wanted. She forwarded my sketches to a bunch of her friends who were also hosting the baby shower, forwarded all the correspondance back to me with some comments like "that cake needs help" and a freakin' POWER POINT presentation of the cake they wanted. Back to 3-tier square with scenes from this ridiculous nursery print, hand-sculpted fondant animals, and a bow on top. For $78. I told her I couldn't help her and sent her to two local bakeries for estimates. I went to one of these places and learned that they quoted her $314 for that monstrosity of a cake, with no hand-molded fondant animals or "fabric scenes". I laughed and laughed, and thought that was the last of it. Then a few weeks later she called me back and said they "definitely" wanted me to do their cake, and that maybe her friend (with the power point) scared me off because she was "from Cali". It was so weird. I raised my price to $2.50 a serving and never heard from her again. It was one of the most negative experiences I've ever had with my cakes, and she didn't even end up being a customer!

Cut to today: I receive an email out of the blue wanting an "estimate" for August. Strawberry sheet cake with strawberry frosting (that taste like whip cream) with fresh strawberries and strawberry glaze on top. In Nemo "pool-party" theme. (Huh?)

First of all, I don't do sheet cakes. Second of all, I only use buttercream frosting. Third of all, this woman is a gigantic pain in the ass who's already taken hours of my time and she's cheap, to boot!

So, what do you tell her?

40 replies
sweetamber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetamber Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 10:27pm
post #2 of 41

Quote her a price you know she won't accept and get rid of her! I remember the "power-point-saga" and I would just block this lunatic's email if I were you!

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 10:30pm
post #3 of 41

Call me stupid but how are you supposed to decorate a cake in a Nemo theme when there's strawberries and glaze on top?

Strawberry Shortcake I could see but Nemo? icon_confused.gif

kelleym Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 10:33pm
post #4 of 41

Yeah, that's what my "huh?" was for. Fresh glazed strawberries on (I'm assuming) pink whipped cream...in a Nemo theme? HUH?

soccermom17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soccermom17 Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 10:39pm
post #5 of 41

Just flat out let her know you are unable to help her since you do not do sheet cakes.
if she keeps on you, then I would quote her an outrageous price.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 10:40pm
post #6 of 41

Send her a PowerPoint presentation showing how silly the cake would look icon_lol.gif

Rae

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 10:42pm
post #7 of 41

Simple. "I'm sorry I will not be able to help you as I do only buttercream icing and I do not do sheet cakes, however I can recommend a local bakery or bakeries that perhaps can help you".

By the way... why should you be scared of someone from California? My son and his family live in California and I'm pretty sure they don't think ANYONE should fear them! LOLL

Beth in KY

PS I'm from KY....be afraid....be VERY afraid! Sorry, just couldn't resist it!

mbelgard Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 10:49pm
post #8 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Send her a PowerPoint presentation showing how silly the cake would look icon_lol.gif

Rae

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

What a wonderful idea, they like the PowerPoints so they'd be thrilled.

squarepair Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
squarepair Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 10:49pm
post #9 of 41

Ok, I was glad when I saw that the Nemo cake design she requested noone could figure out. I thought boy, maybe I am not cut out for this I would have no idea how to pull that off!! Yeah I would try to get rid of her too!! Good luck!!

Kristin

kelleym Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 10:53pm
post #10 of 41
Quote:
Quote:

By the way... why should you be scared of someone from California? My son and his family live in California and I'm pretty sure they don't think ANYONE should fear them! LOLL

LOL, exactly!!! It also made me mad, because I think she thought I was "scared" by the PowerPoint cake, when in fact I was personally hurt, professionally offended, pissed off, etc. "Scared", humph!! By the way, my sketches were adorable, if I do say so myself. I love baby shower cakes.

Quote:
Quote:

Send her a PowerPoint presentation showing how silly the cake would look

Hahahahaha icon_smile.gif If only I felt like devoting that much time to her icon_smile.gif

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 11:01pm
post #11 of 41

I can do a PPT for you to send since I'm from Calif and maybe that would scare her.

Seriously, just tell her your policy of only buttercream and no sheet cakes and end it. Sounds like she's takes up way too much of your time.

Funny, when I was visiting Tx 20 years ago, I was told the Texan police hated California drivers, maybe she was operating under an old assumption icon_confused.gif

mbelgard Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 11:15pm
post #12 of 41

Thinking about it maybe she's related to my MIL, she thinks she's really smart or something because she grew up in California. I'm always hearing "Well I know, I lived in California" in a worldly tone from a woman who has lived in North Dakota since about 1970. icon_lol.gif

kelleym Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 11:19pm
post #13 of 41

Too bitchy?

Lori, I don't think we are a good match for this cake. I only do sheet cakes with the purchase of a wedding cake, and I only use my own homemade buttercream frosting because it is stable at room temperature or warmer and holds its shape well for decorating. I will use cream cheese frosting on occasion, or underneath fondant. It is not a good decorating icing, nor is whipped cream. My customers are all extremely happy with both the look and taste of my cakes. You can see examples of my work at www.hshbakery.com. You may be happier going with Randall's or HEB for this cake. Thanks for thinking of me!

Kelley

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 11:24pm
post #14 of 41

"No cake for you" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

mbelgard Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 11:24pm
post #15 of 41

I think it's fine, you had a couple of real reasons why doing the cake wasn't possible and gave her a couple choices. I don't think you really NEEDED to tell her why you don't do other icings but it's fine this way.

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 11:26pm
post #16 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Rae

LOL LOL yeah that would be so funny!!!

KatieTaylor77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieTaylor77 Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 11:26pm
post #17 of 41

I'm a Californian . . . I've never even used the PowerPoint software but in the interest of my states good name I would be happy to create an appropriate presentation for you! icon_razz.gif Rather than quote her high . . . I would probably just tell her honestly that the last time you dealt with her it left you with a sour taste in your mouth. Tell her that you have worked hard to perfect your art--and that this is an art form--and that you have certain personal standards that you adhere to when doing your cakes. Just tell her that you don't feel that you can fulfill her expectations and you have too many orders for the time in question as it is. I always hate to not at least explain to someone why I am frustrated with them--they may not get it . . . they may get peeved . . . but maybe a few years down the road someone else will tell them the same thing and their lightbulb will click on. One can hope anyways.

SweetTreatsbyCarol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTreatsbyCarol Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 11:31pm
post #18 of 41

Your reply to her sounds professional, but I suggest you add the words "I won't be able to do this for you" because she seems to be the type, that would intentionally take this as you not being confident of yourself and she would continue to annoy the heck out of you for a little bit longer. Then, she would most likely get to be the one to say "well, i'd rather not have YOU do my cake if you aren't capable." Just somehow let her know that you are NOT interested in doing the cake, period. Good luck!

kelleym Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 11:37pm
post #19 of 41

Ok, here's what I sent for real:

Lori, I don't think we are a good match for this cake, as I don't do sheet cakes, and I only use my own homemade buttercream frosting. Thanks for thinking of me!

Kelley

Hopefully that was "final" enough for her.

bethola Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 12:30am
post #20 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelgard

Thinking about it maybe she's related to my MIL, she thinks she's really smart or something because she grew up in California. I'm always hearing "Well I know, I lived in California" in a worldly tone from a woman who has lived in North Dakota since about 1970. icon_lol.gif

Oh my goodness! I have a friend who's favorite line (from Cali) used to be "Our culture in California is different (meaning better than KY actually)" UNTIL my other friend said "Get a GRIP....California IS in the U.S.!! That means....They're AMERICANS!! That IS their culture!" LOLL She never said that line again!

Beth in KY

Edited to say: This is NOT a generalized statement regarding persons from California! Like I said MY FAMILY is there!!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 1:49am
post #21 of 41

YIKES! I remember this woman. I like the email you sent her. IF there is someone in your area you don't like send her their way icon_lol.gif just kidding, that was mean wasn't it. icon_lol.gif

mbelgard Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 2:51pm
post #22 of 41

Bethola, what really makes my MIL funny about saying it to me is that I'm an Army brat so while I haven't lived in California I've lived in several states and Germany. icon_lol.gif I think it's a line she's been using since she moved here and she automatically does it.
I love what your friend told your other friend. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif And Kentucky is wonderful, we spent 4 years there stationed at Ft Knox when I was a kid.

I know other people who have lived there who aren't like that, my mother being one of them.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 4:07pm
post #23 of 41

Kelly,
I remember that thread about the power point presentation. Yikes!!

I hate to say it, but I'm not sure you worded your email strongly enough. This woman obviously has a screw loose and I have a feeling she will not realize your message means you are turning her down. When she contacts you again about doing the cake (and I have a feeling she will), I think you will actually need to say "Sorry, but I won't be doing your cake." Don't offer any other explanations.

Let us know what happens.

bethola Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 4:17pm
post #24 of 41

And Kentucky is wonderful, we spent 4 years there stationed at Ft Knox when I was a kid.

Hey! I was just across the street from Ft Knox last Saturday eating at ....you guessed it! CHARLIE'S STEAKHOUSE!! I'm in Madisonville about 50-60 miles "Nawth"!

Beth

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 4:22pm
post #25 of 41

It sounds to me as if this lady thinks cake artists that aren't affiliated with a bakery shoppe aren't true "artists" and she can treat them as inferiors. I remember the other episode and felt she had put on airs with all her demands, then when the real world came crashing down around her she thought she could get what she wanted anyway. When I read the post all I could think was how condescending she was. I agree with KatieTaylor77. Be brutally honest in a tactful way. I can't think of anyone who would be so desparate for business as to take the abuse she's heaped on you! Don't let her do it again.

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 5:08pm
post #26 of 41

Hi Kelly,

I too remember the baby shower episode and want to add one other thing to the great advice given here.

If she should email or call you again I would make it clear that beyond the first email response (which you already sent) any further discussion would need to happen in person and require a PRE-PAID consultation fee of $xxxx per hour (and I'd make that number incredibly high!!!).

She is an obnoxious person and a total waste of your time. Don't give in! As as previously mentioned, block this woman's e-mail!!!

Kathi

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 5:16pm
post #27 of 41

I have a friend, yes I said friend, who did this to me. She took up a bunch of my time and then told me she only wanted to spend $35 on a cake. What she wanted was a $65 cake for $35! I told her she better go to walmart....I didn't give in. I kept true to my price and she ended up ordering a 10" round cake instead of the 2 teir cake she only wanted to pay $35 for. In the end...I made the cake (10" round w/edible image)...she insulted me by saying it looked like it came from Walmart...and I told her I would not do any more cakes for her because I knew I couldn't make her happy. It's that simple....just say "no". thumbs_up.gif

sliceofheaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sliceofheaven Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 5:27pm
post #28 of 41

I'm with BlakesCakes......powerpoint 'em......but alas, too much WASTED time on a lunatic. So I would also have to say ..........

"NO CAKE FOR YOU!!!!!!!"then, I'd awake from my dreams and politely icon_twisted.gif let her know that even though you would LOVE icon_twisted.gif to do her cake...you just can't because of your" no sheetcake policy." icon_razz.gificon_razz.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 5:38pm
post #29 of 41

I would kindly and calmly tell her that I am not interested in doing cakes for her and again refer her to the local grocery store bakery. I reserve the right to refuse any customer for any reason without long explainations or arguements. I would always do it as kindly but honestly as possible and if they don't "get it" then you have to be more blunt about it. I wouldn't just tell her I'm busy then because that'd leave yourself open for the next cake she wants. You don't owe this person anything. I say dump her and block her e mails if you can.

kelleym Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 5:43pm
post #30 of 41

I haven't heard back from her. But there are some other things bothering me.

What kind of a lunatic wants an "estimate" for a sheet cake *7* months in advance of a 2 year old's birthday party?

Her always needing an "estimate" right away should be a warning sign that she is not my kind of customer. I make lovely cakes at a starting price of $2/serving. I do not back down from this price (well, I don't anymore, she fixed that! LOL). My customers want MY cakes, and they don't question my prices. She is the only one who ever has. I only have a limited amount of time for cakes so I usually only accept 1 or 2 cakes per weekend. I turn down orders all the time because I'm booked. This woman doesn't really want one of my cakes -- she just wants a fabulous cake at a WalMart price.

Another weird thing is that she never could tell me where she got my number. She insisted that I did one of her friend's baby showers, but when she showed me the cake, it wasn't one of mine. But the signature of her email yesterday had the address of the building my husband works in. It's not a large building, we were wondering if maybe someone from my husband's office gave her my number. I've sent many many freebies with him to work -- I'm very popular there, and they are some of my best customers. icon_smile.gif

Argh, it is eating away at me. I have to let it go!! icon_mad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%