Stupid Question Regarding Sifting

Decorating By smashcakes Updated 13 Feb 2007 , 2:58pm by FuturamaFanatic

smashcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smashcakes Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 9:48pm
post #1 of 13

how do you know when to measure then sift, versus sift, then measure, or do you always do it one way or the other? i think this could be part of my problem sometimes. i always measure then sift. any great bakers out there please advise

12 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 9:54pm
post #2 of 13

Well, unless the recipe gives specific information - I always sift and then measure.

Sifting aerates the flour, or powdered sugar which gives a more accurate measurement by volume.

If you weigh your ingredients, you only need to sift to remove lumps...

HTH

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 9:55pm
post #3 of 13

I'm going to watch this post myself! Good question.

Unless the recipe says which to do, I guess I don't really know the proper answer.

I generally follow how the recipe was written.

Some say "sift flour onto wax paper" and I assume they mean to measure first, then sift. Same if it says "sift 3 cups of flour".

Once in a while the recipe will say 3 Cups Sifted Flour, and I assume they mean sift first, then measure.

my head is spinning! LOL icon_razz.gif

torki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torki Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 10:01pm
post #4 of 13

Unless recipe states otherwise.... I measure then sift, however sometimes the pure icing sugar I use has really large lumps/rocks that wont be sifted .....(i have resorted to putting it through a food processor if I think I wont have enough!!! icon_eek.gif ) If I get these lumps/ rocks and have to remove them I do re-weigh. That being said generally I just measure and sift and have never had an issue!!! icon_biggrin.gif

polliwawg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
polliwawg Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 10:08pm
post #5 of 13

I always thought measure then sift, but you got me curious and I looked it up. Here is a link
http://www.baking911.com/howto/sift.htm

Who would have known that sifting ingredients is so particular?

kdbobo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdbobo Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 1:39am
post #6 of 13

I sift, then measure, and then if the recipe asks for sifting I sift again.

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 3:52pm
post #7 of 13

I weigh all my ingredients and then sift. If the recipe doesn't specify I use the weight for the dip and sweep measurement which is 145 grams per cup of AP flour. If the recipe calls for sifted I use that meaurement which I think is about 125 or 130 grams but I am not sure. I keep a spreadsheet of common weights of ingredients on the inside of a cabinet door. It lists the ingredients in alpha order and then the common meaurements' weights for 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, 1 cup and 1/3, 2/3. I also write the weights in my cookbooks that only give volume measurements. It is a lot less messy using a scale, I don't have all those dirty measuring cups. I even weigh wet ingredients.

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 2:36pm
post #8 of 13

So if the recipe doesn't specifically SAY sift? Do you NOT sift? Or do you always sift?

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 11 Feb 2007 , 7:33am
post #9 of 13

Well, for sure you don't want to drag your measuring cup through the flour - this compacts the flour even more.

If you don't want to sift, at least stir the flour up in the container and then spoon flour into your measuring cups - level with knife (don't shake).

Other opinions on sifting/not sifting:

http://tinyurl.com/24hzyu

http://tinyurl.com/2axhud

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/msift.html

http://www.joyofbaking.com/flour.html

HTH

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 11 Feb 2007 , 6:23pm
post #10 of 13

sfit two cups of flour usually means measure, then sift.

two cups of sifted flour usually means sift, then measure.

and if no direction is given, I would err that they mean to measure first.

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 11 Feb 2007 , 6:31pm
post #11 of 13

OK, speaking of sifters, does anybody know which one is the world´s best sifter??? I hate hate hate my sifter, I need a new one!!! Please advise...
Thanks

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 9:28pm
post #12 of 13

to answer a question above, I almost always sift my dry ingredients and then whisk or mix the dry ingredients together before adding butter or any liquids.

I just bought an 8 cup sifter with the rotary blades at one of those discount kitchen outlets for about $12. It is stainless steel. If you are a too overly enthusiastic sifter like I am, it does tend to throw the ingredients over the edge. I use one of those bowl covers that looks like a shower cap on the top to keep things from flying out.

FuturamaFanatic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FuturamaFanatic Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 2:58pm
post #13 of 13

Hmm, very interesting....
I always sift my icing sugar before measuring because I buy mine in the large 30lb bags and it always has massive rock chunks. I haven't had any problems that way. The flour I measure htan sift because it usually doesn't have large rock chuncks. If its measured by weight, well then I guess it doesn't matter.
I have just a regular hand sifter, but it fits so nicely into a 4 cup measuring cup that I got at the dollar store.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%