Antonia74's Royal Icing

Baking By Kristy Updated 26 Oct 2005 , 1:51pm by Kristy

Kristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kristy Posted 22 Oct 2005 , 9:40pm
post #1 of 13

has anyone ever just made half of this recipe? just wondering if it would be ok to do.

12 replies
Kos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kos Posted 22 Oct 2005 , 9:50pm
post #2 of 13

I just finished making a half-batch a minute ago! This is the first time I am using her recipe so I won't be able to compare it to a full recipe but the texture is a creamy (peanut butter-like) consistency that she mentions on one of the threads. She said after it is mixed, the consistency is what is used to outline. Thin it down to flood.

Kristy Posted 22 Oct 2005 , 9:53pm
post #3 of 13

thanks so much, i really appreciate it!!!

momlovestocook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momlovestocook Posted 22 Oct 2005 , 11:14pm
post #4 of 13

The first time I made the recipe, I made the full recipe. I think I made three batches of cookies to use it all up-it makes a lot. I made a half batch this week and it worked fine.

Sandra

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 22 Oct 2005 , 11:20pm
post #5 of 13

where can I find this recipe?

LaylasMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaylasMommy Posted 25 Oct 2005 , 1:08am
post #6 of 13

I plan on using this recipe for my Halloween cookies. About how many cookies does it ice? Also, do you find that it makes bright colors, or dull? I find that the regular royal icing makes dull flat colors. I want to find out how to make glossy, bright colors.... any suggestions on what to use? Also, how do you make BLACK and RED? I never have any luck there with the wilton royal icing recipe.

Thanks!

blittle6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blittle6 Posted 25 Oct 2005 , 1:18am
post #7 of 13

Toba's glace icing does not have a dull finsh. It is like a semi gloss. I've never used the Royal; I have heard it doesn't taste too great. Do you guys like the taste?

Berta

LaylasMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaylasMommy Posted 25 Oct 2005 , 1:26am
post #8 of 13

I've never used Toba's glaze icing... however I like to be able to bag and stack my cookies for ease! Usually when I make them, I'm making a lot of them! I've never used Antonia's Royal icing (however her cookies look to die for... and if that is the recipe that she uses, then I figure it must be great).... The wilton royal icing doesn't taste bad, but it isn't to die for either!

I'm making cookies this weekend, I'll let you know what I think....

blittle6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blittle6 Posted 25 Oct 2005 , 1:31am
post #9 of 13

I made Toba's this past weekend, and after they set out overnight I could stack them with no problem. The taste was so good. Her cookies are AWESOME I just heard royal icing doesn't taste too good but like I said I've never had it...PLEASE let me know what you think of the taste.

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 25 Oct 2005 , 3:34am
post #10 of 13

I have made both toba's recipe and royal icing and just like Toba's better.

You can add a tiny bit of butter to the royal and make a modified royal icing and it softens it up enough that you don't chip a tooth but is still stackable. : )

aliciaL_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaL_77 Posted 25 Oct 2005 , 3:38am
post #11 of 13

http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1983-Royal-Icing-for-Decorated-Cookies.html

Antonia74's recipe

I like it.. I just used it yesterday... it keeps well on the counter as long as it is well covered and sealed.

gilpnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilpnh Posted 25 Oct 2005 , 5:34am
post #12 of 13

I got red and black just fine using Americolor, see my cookies for example if you need to, the school ones, I used 2.5 bathches to do 200 cookies. Love the ease of this recipie. very sweet.

Kristy Posted 26 Oct 2005 , 1:51pm
post #13 of 13

I found this icing to be very easy to work with, just make sure you keep it covered with a damp towel. I made brown, orange, and kept some white for the ghosts I made. The brown ended up looking almost like Peanut Butter, but i was afraid to add too much coloring because i didn't want to alter the taste. I outlined my cookies and then thinned down the icing and flooded them, which worked pretty good, but some cookies the outline icing was slightly darker than the flooded part...not sure why, maybe the extra water? This icing was way softer than plain royal icing, which was good for me, because I don't like crunchy stuff. I really only had 1 person who didn't care for it, because she thought it was too hard still, she said she'd rather have some fluffy frosting on sugar cookies.
I'd definately use it again--it made my "official" recipe box!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%