Cake Carving Knife?

Decorating By CakesUnleashed Updated 5 Feb 2007 , 11:09pm by CakesUnleashed

CakesUnleashed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesUnleashed Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 2:02pm
post #1 of 3

Where do I get a really good (but not too expensive) cake carving knife? I see Duff Goldman using a nice one on Ace of Cakes. I see different decorator's using them on Food Network Challenges, I just can't seem to find one...anywhere!

2 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 3

If you are speaking of the long serrated knives that they use to carve the sides, you can buy good ones right at the dollar store. At least, the Dollar Tree near me sells a good one - it is the one with the blue card in the package.

When purchasing a serrated knife, what you want to look for more is construction, rather than price. They do not get sharpened, so what you want to see is a tang (the lower part of the blade) going straight down, all the way through the handle. And you want to see at least two rivets holding it in place. The blade should be sturdy, and the knife should feel balanced. The blade must be stainless steel, not carbon steel. Carbon steel will rust, and will turn black if it comes in contact with acids.

I will not say that dollar store knives are properly balanced, but I have found some pretty good ones there. They are still in my collection of knives I use regularly.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

CakesUnleashed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesUnleashed Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 11:09pm
post #3 of 3

Wow, Theresa!

Thank you for the incredibly detailed information regarding this question. I will definitely check that out. I really appreciate you telling me what to look for, because NOW I will check out all those factors before purchasing.

You have really helped me out!

Thanks again!

Deb

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%