I Need Help

Decorating By fabbo Updated 5 Feb 2007 , 4:54am by Sugarbunz

fabbo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabbo Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 6:34pm
post #1 of 22

With how to cover this in fondant? I've already peeled the fondant off once because the corners looked so bad. HELP!!!!
LL

21 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 6:38pm
post #2 of 22

Do you have a picture?

fabbo Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 6:39pm
post #3 of 22

Sorry the pic was too large to attach last time, now it's there.

fabbo Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 6:44pm
post #4 of 22

Please anyone, I've got to finish this before the party. It's supposed to look like the superbowl trophy when I'm done.

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 6:45pm
post #5 of 22

Should each layer have been done individually?

SheilaF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheilaF Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 6:46pm
post #6 of 22

I'm not an expert on fondant, but I think you are supposed to frost the cake before covering it in fondant. That'll make the sides smoother, but it's also tall, so I'd guess you have to wrap it around and blend the edges somehow. Hopefully someone will have more insight for you.....

fabbo Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 6:47pm
post #7 of 22

It needs to have a straight smooth edge to look loke the pedestal for the football on top.

Tomoore Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 6:48pm
post #8 of 22

Ok...so I'm definitely no pro at this...but maybe an option would be to use modeling chocolate to cover the sides. I've only seen it done on TV and it looks relatively easy. That way you wouldn't have all the seams from the individual layers of fondant. Make sense?

Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 6:49pm
post #9 of 22

I'd put some buttercream on first, then maybe cut each side seperately and put on since it is so tall and angled wider at the bottom. Then try to seal the corners (using light pressure with your fingers or spatula), or maybe put a piece on each corner to cover the seam, then smooth. Sorry, I'm not a pro at that either, but just a thought.

Edited to say I think the modeling chocolate is a good idea - on Ace of Cakes they mentioned that it is not as heavy as fondant. They cut the sides individually and then attached at the seams.

Tomoore Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 6:50pm
post #10 of 22

Yes, you would have to frost it first to give the fondant or the chocolate something to adhere to.

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 6:56pm
post #11 of 22

Do crumb coat with buttercream before you do the next step. Modeling chocolate is a good idea, if not, do each side, one at a time, with fondant.

fabbo Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 6:57pm
post #12 of 22

I had bc on earlier and tried to cut a piece for each side. The corners looked horrible. I couldn't get them smooth enough. Here's what I'm trying to do. (DH's idea)
LL

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 7:04pm
post #13 of 22

Wait for the buttercream to crust, then smooth with the Viva method. Is the cake trimmed to the shape you want? I would recommend having the carving mostly done before you crumbcoat, leaving only some minor touch up to do after it is coated. If you can make a clean cut of the fondant, you should be able to achieve good edges by close butting. (You might consider running a silver line down each edge to help the appearance of sharp edges.) It will certainly be quite a cake when you're done. Good luck and please post photos.

Tomoore Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 8:18pm
post #14 of 22

I also remember reading something about freezing the cake to make trimming it easier...after seeing the pic of the trophy, I would definitely try modeling chocolate.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 8:23pm
post #15 of 22

That looks awfully tough! The taller the cake, the more difficult. Good luck!

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 8:39pm
post #16 of 22

Ok, first you need to Crum coat the cake with butter cream, back to the fridge for 45 min or until is hard enough. Then measure the cake as if you were making adress. You will need the help of someone and a big rolling pin. Roll the fondant to cover the whole cake as if you were to put a towel around a baby, so you have only one seam on the back. To do this, roll the fondant and then rolled around the rolling pin, put the RP standing next to the cake and start unrolling until the two ends meet I dont know if you understand any of this, is to hard for me to explain in English let me know

karensue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensue Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 8:52pm
post #17 of 22

I don't have any experience with something like this to give advice, but I can't wait to see the final product. Sounds like you're getting good advice.

HunBun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HunBun Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 9:31pm
post #18 of 22

Do you have any experience with tempered chocolate? Sheets of white chocolate might give you cleaner edges. The size of your cake may still be an issue, though.

Birdlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Birdlady Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 9:42pm
post #19 of 22

First, make sure your sides are smooth, a little heavier that BC crumb coat. and stick in the freezer to help harden the surface. Then you can roll out your fondant big enogh to cover by placing over the top or do as someone has suggested, roll a long piece the height of the piece and roll it around the cake with a seam at the back. I would tend to put the seam at the corner so it won't be noticed as much.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Dawn

fabbo Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 1:39am
post #20 of 22

I want to thank all of you for your help but I regret to inform you of the cake's demise. icon_sad.gif The kids knocked it over while I was in the shower. icon_cry.gif (DH wasn't watching them too well) It was just for a party with friends. I guess there's always next year.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 2:20am
post #21 of 22

oh, no!!! I'm so sorry. That must've been the capper on a really frustrating day. I hope at least you had fun at the party.

Sugarbunz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbunz Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 4:54am
post #22 of 22

I'm so sorry about your cake, but I have to say I'd be a tad relieved. That looks REALLY hard to accomplish. The amount of fondant you would have had to roll alone would be enough to bring me to tears. I hope you had fun at the party though!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%