Icing Wedding Cakes With Royal Icing

Decorating By cupcakequeen Updated 22 Mar 2005 , 5:17pm by Kiddiekakes

cupcakequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakequeen Posted 11 Mar 2005 , 7:09am
post #1 of 8

I've read that decorators frost wedding cakes with royal icing to get a smooth surface...Has anyone here done that? Wouldn't it try out and get too hard?
Do you do this as the "crumb coat" and then frost with BC?
What does it taste like?

Questions! Questions! Questions!

THANKS icon_smile.gif

7 replies
Tuggy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tuggy Posted 11 Mar 2005 , 8:42am
post #2 of 8

I´ve just made it once and it´s like you thought: it really gets hard. To get a smooth surface, you cover the cake with Marzipan and than cover it with a layer of royal icing, leave it to dry and do another coat. As the icing would get wet, if you put it in the fridge, no extra coat with BC can be done. The taste is the same as a normal royal icing: sweet!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 13 Mar 2005 , 6:38pm
post #3 of 8

Years ago most cakes were iced with Royal icing.Nowadays I would not recommend it...There is so many other great options like Fondant,Buttercream etc.You can find a good recipe for a butterceam that you can thin down enough to easily coat a smooth finish.

cupcakequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakequeen Posted 13 Mar 2005 , 9:26pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks! I wasn't planning on it because I figured the taste would just be horrible!!! I'll stick to BC as I find the taste of fondant to be disgusting (even though they make cakes look lovely)

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 13 Mar 2005 , 9:28pm
post #5 of 8

never ate fondant I dont think.... what does it taste like?
Sorry I can't help ya... my well is dry!

Nesmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nesmar Posted 22 Mar 2005 , 2:39am
post #6 of 8

I've iced a wedding cake in royal icing for a decorating class display. All the display cakes had to iced and decorated in Royal icing, and sure enough the icing gets rock hard. You also have to work quickly with it. I've posted a picture in the Wedding cake gallery under the traditional wedding cakes if you want to have a look. It is entitled "Blue Delight"
icon_smile.gif

Nesmar

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 22 Mar 2005 , 6:44am
post #7 of 8

Nes, the cake is awesome. icon_razz.gif love the color!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 22 Mar 2005 , 5:17pm
post #8 of 8

Flayvurdfun,

The liking of fondant is a persoanl thing.You either like it...or you don't!! I personally don't!! Some companies put out a really good tasting fondant and others don't.I hear the MMF is really yummy!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%