I Did It! All Chocolate Clay Cake

Decorating By aubrazacmom Updated 6 Feb 2007 , 2:11am by NikkiDoc

aubrazacmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aubrazacmom Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 11:31pm
post #1 of 36

Well, I finished the cake I was working on and it's all chocolate clay. It came out ok seeing as it's the first time working with chocolate clay like this. I had fun I think I may like it better than fondant. I still have a lot of learning to do but the customer was very happy so that made my day. Thanks for the advice! icon_biggrin.gif
LL

35 replies
kden3980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kden3980 Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 11:40pm
post #2 of 36

Sooo very pretty, please tell me how do you make the chocolate clay???? Thanks

Kara
New York

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 11:41pm
post #3 of 36

Looks really gorgeous!!!

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 11:42pm
post #4 of 36

that is just lovely! I have to try that !!..I am sure it would taste heavenly too!

katy625 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katy625 Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 11:42pm
post #5 of 36

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!! WTG!!!!!!!!! Chocolate Clay rocks!

loveqm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loveqm Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 11:43pm
post #6 of 36

very good job!!! can't wait to try it out myself!

cakes21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes21 Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 11:48pm
post #7 of 36

Excellent job, what is chocolate clay?

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 11:50pm
post #8 of 36

Chocolate clay is just chocolate melted with corn syrup added to it. It comes out like tootsie rolls. Really yummy.

Your cake looks beautiful!!

denise2434 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise2434 Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 11:51pm
post #9 of 36

Beautiful!!!!

aubrazacmom Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 11:54pm
post #10 of 36

Well, I got all the advice from here so I'm pretty green at this but from my understanding chocolate clay is a chocolate that you can manipulate to either do modeling or even cover cakes.

I got the recipe from katy625 in one of her posts I think it was 10 oz of chocolate to 1/3 cup of light karo syrup. I hope that's right. If I can figure out how to post the topic I will.

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 11:57pm
post #11 of 36

Are the roses made of the clay as well? I have used clay for modeling but never covered a cake with it. How do the two taste together?

katy625 Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 11:57pm
post #12 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by aubrazacmom

Well, I got all the advice from here so I'm pretty green at this but from my understanding chocolate clay is a chocolate that you can manipulate to either do modeling or even cover cakes.

I got the recipe from katy625 in one of her posts I think it was 10 oz of chocolate to 1/3 cup of light karo syrup. I hope that's right. If I can figure out how to post the topic I will.

If I may...Here is the PERFECT website for this that i used.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Candy/ChocolateRoses.htm

katy625 Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 12:00am
post #13 of 36

I think Im gonna try a pink and white cake tonight and cover in luster dust!!! Steady2Hands sent me this pic!!!!! Now i have to make something like it. Luster dust works GREAT on chocolate!
(this cake was made with fondant but Im going to use chocolate) Make sure to scroll all the way until you see the pic

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=favpics&cat=0&pos=-154413

aubrazacmom Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 1:34am
post #14 of 36

katy625 - I agree that cake is beautiful - make sure you post your pictures I would love to see it in chocolate.

patton78 - the rose's are clay also - I did not taste the cake myself but my DH loved it!

Thanks everyone for the help & wonderful comments - I just love this site!!! icon_biggrin.gif

NikkiDoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikkiDoc Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 2:50am
post #15 of 36

oh that is gorgeous! I can't wait to try working with the chocolate modeling clay. i imagine it even tastes better...after all it's chocolate!

val_nutrimetics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
val_nutrimetics Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 3:01am
post #16 of 36

Hey everyone! I was just wondering if the corn syrup changes the flavor of the chocolate? It sounds delicious, and the results are beautiful, but I'm curious about the taste? Thanks!

aubrazacmom Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 3:12am
post #17 of 36

I tasted it and it tasted the same to me - my DH thought so too!

val_nutrimetics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
val_nutrimetics Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 3:17am
post #18 of 36

YAAA! I'm so glad to hear that it tastes the same! icon_biggrin.gif

I was afraid that it might be too good to be true! I can't wait to try this!

aubrazacmom Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 3:23am
post #19 of 36

Have fun - I loved it. Hopefully, customers will love it too and won't pick it off like fondant.

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 4:25am
post #20 of 36

Your cake is gorgeous! I am going to try it. How large were your cakes?? There is a nifty little book by Sandy Hargrave called White Chocolte draping. I see she has another on groom's cakes now too. Go to www.sandyhargrave.com. She owns Classic Cakes of Aspen.

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 6:01am
post #21 of 36

Great job! It is beautiful! I am just dying to use this myself! So far I haven't needed a cake and I have to use fondant on the next one as it is for a class I am taking. Soon I will use it though!

aubrazacmom Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 2:22pm
post #22 of 36

I used a 9" or 10"I can't remember now and and 8". Thanks for the link fearlessbaker I'm going to have to look into that book!!

Thanks again for all your great comments!

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 2:29pm
post #23 of 36

can candy melts be used instead of chocolate?

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 2:39pm
post #24 of 36

Awesome cake! Your cake makes it look so easy. But I know it is not as easy as it looks. Can't wait to give it a try!! Love the pink and chocolate........my favs right now! icon_smile.gif

Lea

aubrazacmom Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 3:29pm
post #25 of 36

Although I have not used candy melts I have heard that they work just fine. It was a lot easier than I expected it to be - If I can do it any one can. I had my three small children running around asking for everything in the book and I didn't even get frazzeled (sp) that's a first! icon_biggrin.gif Give it a try and post pictures I love looking at them all!

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 5:28pm
post #26 of 36

Aubrazacmom, Thanks for the info. I have used it for decorations and never had to store any of it. Can this be stored? Thanks

msg1474 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msg1474 Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 5:45pm
post #27 of 36

Can white chocolate (chips) be used to do this? I have used the regular chocolate clay and just love it, but I wanted to know if white chocolate would work the same.
I have stored the clay (in the fridge) for a couple of weeks and gone to use with no problems. It always stays the same, one just has to knead it to get it at the right consistency. icon_biggrin.gif [/img]

aubrazacmom Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 2:53am
post #28 of 36

msg1474 - yes white chocolate chips can be used that is what I used in my photo I just used candy color to make it pink.

fearlessbaker - yes it can be stored I think it is 2wks in an airtight container at room temp. Earlier in this thread I think katy625 posted a link and that is where I got all my info. Also show's you how to make the roses which I loved.

coolchc21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coolchc21 Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 4:55pm
post #29 of 36

Wow, this is so exciting! I love the look of fondant, but I feel like it all goes to waste. I can't see people peeling the chocolate off, YUM!

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 5:03pm
post #30 of 36

That looks terrific! Congrats!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%