Help On Doctoring Or "extending" A Yellow Cake Mix

Decorating By katiedeva Updated 18 Oct 2005 , 3:01pm by abbey

katiedeva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katiedeva Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 8:32pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a B-day cake for a friend who wants a "yellow" cake. I decided that I am not making this from scratch & would like to use a mix, but want to hopefully make it better by doctoring it somehow. I don't have the cake mix doctor book.... does anyone have any recipes that they can share, keeping the "yellow cake" taste?? I hope that this rambling post makes sense..... icon_smile.gif

~Katie

5 replies
Tilisha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tilisha Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 8:36pm
post #2 of 6

I am new to this site and it is great. I was looking for something like that the other day and ran across the super enhanced formula for cake recipes on this site. It is great. I took a lemon cake mix and used it but you can use any. try it. I baked it last night and it taste good.

Tilisha

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 8:43pm
post #3 of 6

Try adding a tub of store-bought icing to the mix. Any flavor you like. Don't change any of the other ingredients. The cake will be slightly heavier, but supermoist with great flavor!

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 10:38pm
post #4 of 6

I use something similiar to the Super enhanced cake recipe here but it's called white almond sour cream cake extender. I have used it on chocolate cake, cherry chip, and on white. It works on all of them and I think the super enhanced cake recipe would too. (they are very similiar) With the white cake you use only egg whites and with other flavors I left out the almond extract...

: )

Let me just say that the cherry chip one I made like this is now my all time favorite cake. It was sooo good!

good36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
good36 Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 10:47pm
post #5 of 6

I use the "Cake mix extender" that is in the recipe section. I love it! I've used in with many flavors and always comes out good.
Judy

abbey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abbey Posted 18 Oct 2005 , 3:01pm
post #6 of 6

I think the cake mix extender recipe from this site might just be the most useful piece of information I have gained since doing cakes. I love it. It gives mixes a great taste and texture. I use it every time I make a cake even with my scratch cakes. Sometimes I might have more batter than I need when I do this so I'll make some cupcakes or a small loaf pan cake and freeze it. These are great for if you want to make cake balls or if you need to carve a cake for the top of another cake or something.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%