Adding Flavorings To Buttercream Icing

Decorating By vdrsolo Updated 10 Feb 2007 , 2:41am by mjs4492

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 4:58am
post #1 of 16

I'm getting ready to do some experimenting with adding new flavors to my buttercream icing instead of just vanilla and almond.

I just bought some different Lorann Oils and was wondering how much needs to be added per 1lb powdered sugar batch of icing, about 1/4 of what I would use for extract??

How much flavored coffee creamer (powder) should I add per batch?

How about adding instant pudding mixes, has anyone every tried this??

Would love to know everyone's favorite flavors & cake combinations and how much they add. Thanks!!

15 replies
cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 5:08am
post #2 of 16

I use the Lorann oils every now and then. It really doesn't take much at all of those oils since they're so concentrated. Just a few drops per one batch.

I have not tried pudding mix yet. I don't care for instant pudding so it's pretty doubtful if I ever will.

I have used liquid and powdered creamer. IMO, it takes more liquid than powder to get the flavor you desire. I've only tried the vanilla caramel but found it just disgusting. Maybe I added too much. I used 2 T per one batch of icing. It was horrible in the cake mix! Maybe a vanilla creamer would work better for me but others here swear by the creamers.

Amy

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 5:16am
post #3 of 16

I've used coffee syrups before...like Torani or Davinci...they worked out fine and the bc tasted pretty good! Although I havent experimented with too many different flavors....yet icon_wink.gif

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 5:42am
post #4 of 16

I have those syrups. I only have sugar-free though. I wonder how that would affect the flavor. Does it make the flavor really powerful? What about a tint to the icing?

Amy

Wendoger Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 5:49am
post #5 of 16

All we have is sugar-free...the flavor is not powerful, it actually takes a bit more than you'd think....as far as tinting, I put some strawberry in for a strawberry cake and it did make it pink, which was fine with me...and it tasted really good...a nice, light flavor....I'm still experimenting with them though...

parismom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
parismom Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 5:58am
post #6 of 16

I just used pudding mix today actually. My brother wanted banana frosting for his bday cake and I was afraid to use real bananas b/c I didn't want them turning brown and gross. It tasted pretty good. For 2 lbs powdered sugar and 1 C each butter and crisco, vanilla and milk - I added 2 boxes of instant pudding (banana cream). 1 seemed too weak in flavor... but 2 was good!

Wendoger Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 3:28pm
post #7 of 16

Oh that sounds good! Thanks for the tip!!!

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 5:47pm
post #8 of 16

If you were going to put it in a cake mix, would you replace the liquid normally used (milk or water) with the DaVinci syrup, or just part of it? My son wants a root beer flavored cake icon_confused.gif for his birthday party on Saturday. I have tons of these flavors that I got for 25 cents a bottle recently & might as well use them, try them out, since I don't drink coffee! icon_biggrin.gif

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 5:51pm
post #9 of 16

Back to the Lorann oils for just a second...you won't need much at all. I've used 1/8 t of the lemon and the orange in a batch of icing that calls for 2 lbs. of powdered sugar and that was plenty. So you really need only a very little....try with maybe 1/16 t. You can always add more but it is hard to dilute once you have too much.

Wendoger Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 8:38pm
post #10 of 16

bdkcakes...I put in about 1/4 cup of the flavoring to start out with...since its not highly concentrated, it takes a little more. So I usually wait to add any other liquid.
I have root beer flavoring as well but haven't tried it yeticon_wink.gif

bakincakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakincakin Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 8:48pm
post #11 of 16

A root beer flavored cake huh? How interesting icon_lol.gif I add creamer to by buttercream. I usually add about 2-3 tbl of it and the rest milk for a 2lb recipe.

Wendoger Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 8:50pm
post #12 of 16

Maybe we could invent a 'rootbeer float' cake.....rootbeer and vanilla???

Mom_Of_4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom_Of_4 Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 9:00pm
post #13 of 16

There is actually a recipe for a rootbeer cake on this website. I have been wanting to try it out but I am trying to lose the rest of my baby weight. It sounds pretty good though!?

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 9:05pm
post #14 of 16

got a question for ya'll:
I've never added anything but vanilla and almond extracts (clear extracts) to icing.
Does using the oils and flavorings your talking about change the color of the icing? Just curious; thought I'd learn something new!

Wendoger Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 12:33am
post #15 of 16

...not if their clear...like the white chocolate is clear, the butter rum is light brown and it tints it, strawberry makes it pink...malibu rum is clear and has a coconutty flavor....I'm still experimenting with them, there's so many to try!
icon_wink.gif

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 2:41am
post #16 of 16

I kinda figured the clear ones wouldn't but coffee creamers, instant puddings, coffee syrups,........???

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%